Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is the deal.
I am going to be moving home to Oregon. I will be hunting the central and north coast. I already own a GMT and a ML 705.

I have $1500 to spend on a beach detector. I am/was thinking about trading in/selling the 705 and getting an Etrac in addition to the beach detector.
I have been reading through the posts, but some of them are dated, So looking for current info.

suggestions please.

Scott

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a TDI Pro and waterproof it.

Last edited:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher CZ-21 or an Excalibur.........best beach machines and they are waterproof

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep the Minelab for dry sand hunting, and get a Tesoro Sand Shark pi for wet sand and saltwater hunting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher CZ-21 or an Excalibur.........best beach machines and they are waterproof
You cant go wrong with either of these...these two detectors dominate the water hunting scene.

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
But just think how awesome a waterproof TDI Pro setup would be. Check out this comparison. My next detector will be the TDI Pro which I will then waterproof (unless White's releases a waterproof version of the TDI Pro).

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wait till I got to Oregon and looked over the area that I would be hunting, focusing on the mineraliziation, trash, and hunting conditions
before I would buy any detector, especially a beach detector.

Also, I would try to meet detectorists who actively hunt the areas you will be detecting to learn which detector(s) are most effective.
From what I have read, Oregon has some particularly unique characterstics that differ from most areas.

Joining a metal detecting club, would help, at least initially, as this many detectorists like to help.

To be honest, I believe you have the cart before the horse.
You should identify your requirements, first.

had a chance Wait till you get to Oregon, So here is the deal.
I am going to be moving home to Oregon. I will be hunting the central and north coast. I already own a GMT and a ML 705.

I have $1500 to spend on a beach detector. I am/was thinking about trading in/selling the 705 and getting an Etrac in addition to the beach detector.
I have been reading through the posts, but some of them are dated, So looking for current info.

suggestions please.

Scott

Thanks!

OP
OP
Scott in WY

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting vid Thead, thanks for the responses Lookindown, Terry and Goldkey.
You guys aren't doing a very good job enabling my addiction, ha!
The Excal II is what I'm leaning to but I don't know if I want to buy it, then send it off for mods.
Are the headphones on the Sand Shark or CZ-21 better than the Excal II?
Waterproofing the TDI? with a bag? I don't think that will work well if caught in a Oregon rain.
Price wise, the fisher and tesoro, are looking good

Scott

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You would waterproof the TDI Pro using a Plano polycarbonate field box and cableclams. Construct the box properly and you could take the unit underwater (rain would be zero concern). I have a waterproof setup (Plano 3600 and cableclam) for my Sovereign and a similar setup could be used for the TDI Pro. Just food for thought. The easier route is to obviously get a machine already constructed for use in the water (I am partial to the Excalibur).

OP
OP
Scott in WY

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thead, I am unfamiliar with cableclams, but I will check them out.

Sir Gala Clad, you make a good point.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thead, I am unfamiliar with cableclams, but I will check them out.

Sir Gala Clad, you make a good point.

Thanx Scott:
I understand that my reply was not what you were looking for.
From what I have been able to tell, Oregon is especially challenging as the local beaches do not have much foot traffic compared to Florida or California.
Also, many detectors do not work well there, I assume it is because on mineralization, all I know is that it is difficult.

It rains a lot where I hunt, so much so that I have only been able to use a Sovereign one time without bagging it, stuffing it under a rain coat or doing a Forrest Gump running for a tree which does not leak before the rain hits - you can see it comming at you. Hopefully, one of these days, I figure how to waterproof it by stuffing it in a plano box -
it sure would be worth the effort, but I have difficulty finding enough time to hunt the way it is without having to play Macgyver.

It sure would be nice if minelab upgraded the Excalibur to Sovereign GT capability and provided it with waterproof connectors and a remote pin point switch.
Afterall, that is the detector that water hunter(s) want and need, rather than a wimpish all terrain metal detector with a ten foot depth limitation in placid water.
I want a machine that can take a beating in the water and still go on beeping , not one that can only be gently stirred or shaken!

OP
OP
Scott in WY

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thead, you recommend the TDI, how does it differ from the Surf PI dual field? the surf is already waterproof.

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The TDI Pro goes deeper. Look again at the video I posted. The Surf PI Dual Field is one of the detectors that is compared to the TDI Pro. See time index 2:17 in the video for the Surf PI Dual Field. The TDI Pro blows it and the other detectors away. Also note the comparison chart at time index 9:50 in the video.

With respect to the Plano field box, note that the manufacturer does not recommend using at depths greater than one meter. The setup would only be useful for wading into neck deep water or so (no diving).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread