Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’m looking to widen my selection of search coils thus enhance my capabilities on the beach so I need some opinions.

Background Information:

99.9% of my TH’ing is done on east coast Florida beaches

I currently own: Minelab Excalibur II with stock 10” coil; Minelab Safari with stock 11” coil and an XP Deus with stock 11” coil. As you can see, all my coils are in the 10-11”range.

I’ve considered the Coiltek 12x8 and the Coiltek 15” WOT for my Safari so I can increase my options in those beach areas I hunt the most.

Any suggestions on what coil I should consider?

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12x15 & 15x18 SEF on the Excal. You're recovery rate will noticeably increase simply by the amount of additional coverage area. Both of these coils are also sensitive enough to hit on smaller items and both are easy to pinpoint with, not to mention the added depth capabilities.....which can actually be a real pain at times. :laughing7: Also add a harness to your equipment.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Bigscoop, thank you for the advice but my Excal is still under warranty so I can't touch that one. That's why I was looking to add a different coil to the Safari.

Thanks again

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13" Ultimate is lightweight but still heavy on the S shaft design of Etrac/ Safari machines. I tried a 15" Wot on my Etrac and could not use it but about an hour without a swingy thingy (which I hate wearing, it defeats the purpose of beach detecting IMO) The 13" Ultimate is 618g and the wot is 840g. This may not sound like much but it's a ton on the S shaped shaft of the Safari/Etrac

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I have used the WOT coil on my Excal for some 11 years and loved every swing, of course I was in the water were weight is no problem. I now have an ATX, talk about weight, it has it and I can not swing it on the dry/wet sand for more the an hour at max. I solved the problem with the Minelab ProSwing 45, I can now swing the Excal and ATX for more than four hours without killing my arm. Note: I had rotator cuff surgery about a year before I went to the ProSwing.

Each coil has its nitch. The bigger the coil, the more ground you cover and you do not have to take shorter steps.
For the current drops I don't think the WOT can be beat at most beaches. Maybe not for depth, but for the majority of lost items, I use one. That being said I have no experience with the Deus. I have heard that the WOT will not function well, if at all with the Excalibur II. Before you think of changing your Excal II's coil, after the warranty has passed, check with someone that know that the WOT will or will not function well on the Excal II. I have no knowledge of the new design WOT coil - the original did not have any "spokes" the new design has 6 spokes plus the main stay. I am only speaking about the original WOT and PRE Excalibur II detectors.

Hope this helps.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I agree with Bigscoop. I have an Excal 1000 with a SEF 12x15 coil and it works great. Covers a lot of area and find items as small as a fish hook. It goes deeper than the 10 inch coil I have on my Excal II.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
The suggested 12x15 SEF looks like a darn good option. Since my Excal is still under warranty, what about putting it on my Safari...any thoughts I should consider?

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I use WOT on mine. Its heavy. But use harness too. Never tried coiltechs 12 x8, wonder how that would do. hh gl. joe

The suggested 12x15 SEF looks like a darn good option. Since my Excal is still under warranty, what about putting it on my Safari...any thoughts I should consider?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI the 12x8 treasure seeker weighs same as 15" WOT according to dealer. Either one will require a harness.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, prices go up so buy it now and when warranty expires you will have it...

Remember Safari and excal/Sov coils not interchangeable....

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Drove the 13 miles over to Kellyco and just now arrived back home with a new 12x15 SEF for my Safari. Thank you all for the advice! I very much appreciate it!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove the 13 miles over to Kellyco and just now arrived back home with a new 12x15 SEF for my Safari. Thank you all for the advice! I very much appreciate it!!!
Shame you weren't there a little earlier, I was there from about 10:15 to 12:30, meeting with Gene, then with Dave and Barry....

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will give a general comment. Larger coils are nice if there is not too much trash to discriminate around (if you discriminate), but are more difficult to pin point, so time gained searching "can" be lost digging. To compensate, a larger scoop is valuable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give a general comment. Larger coils are nice if there is not too much trash to discriminate around (if you discriminate), but are more difficult to pin point, so time gained searching "can" be lost digging. To compensate, a larger scoop is valuable.
I have been using larger coils for 6 years with no issues pinpointing, I never discriminate at a beach... I use 15" coils at parks too, found lots of coin spills and no issues on pinpointing, I love the larger coils, it is like any coil, you learn what procedure works best for the coil....

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No argument there. If you can use it successfully, then I salute you. I have personally had some trouble pinpointing in grass parks with a large coil, as I do not want to dig holes. In the water, I am OK with a larger coil during the day as long as there is not too much trash, but at night prefer the detector with an 8 inch coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No argument there. If you can use it successfully, then I salute you. I have personally had some trouble pinpointing in grass parks with a large coil, as I do not want to dig holes. In the water, I am OK with a larger coil during the day as long as there is not too much trash, but at night prefer the detector with an 8 inch coil.
I don't dig holes I probe.. Nothing negative meant, just I personally have no issues..........[emoji106]

Last edited:

Araworn

May 22, 2014
Long Island
Detector(s) used
. Whites MXT All pro. Whites BHID 300,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wondering?

Hi, I'm reading your post a bit late and was wondering how you like the 15"x12" sef on your Safari? I ordered mine from Kellyco it should arrive soon I am also using it on my Safari on Long Island beaches. Thanks.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
I just had the 15 inch wot coil installed with the pinpoint mod and peltor head set to my excall 800. I also have the excall 1000. It's a new game detecting with the wot coil. I dig deeper targets than both my excalls. The pinpoint mod on the grip works great . You cover more ground with more depth. The only problem I find is that I'm digging deeper and most the time it's trash, but good exercise . Have had no problems with the new mods, Acts and runs just like my excall 1000. Making a change is always good .Good luck Joe.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Hi, I'm reading your post a bit late and was wondering how you like the 15"x12" sef on your Safari? I ordered mine from Kellyco it should arrive soon I am also using it on my Safari on Long Island beaches. Thanks.

Wow! you've dug deep to find this old post. :-)

To date, I've used it very minimally as I've been working with my Excal and its new mods as well as learning my XP Deus. Having said that, the larger coil seems to work well with the Safari...albeit heavier and you'll also notice a difference in the swing but that's to be expected and something you'll become accustom to after a few times out.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I really like the WOT n the wet sand, And feel the ULT 13 is even Deeper, I feel in ruff waters, and older beach's where all you dig are the faints in PP the Stock coils are the best. Being able to run sensitivity at full (10am to 8am just outside of auto), in PinPoint, with the skullies or gold masters head phones you hear targets that the bigger coils give up because you have to turn down the sensitivity to keep a smooth threshold, and this is in saltwater. Fresh drop beach's in the water, go big for the coverage, but for better depth in the saltwater for rings the stock coils in my opinion are the ticket. One thing to remember, the bigger the coil the smaller the target gets, the smaller the coil, the bigger the target looks to the coil, and this is on deep targets.

In the PP mode learn about sizing out your targets when you go over a it, the ramp up of the target and the ramp down (size it also), lots of info there that you can use to discriminate out targets even before you toggle over to check them in discriminate. It will save you a lot of trash digging..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread