Attachments

• K800_418.JPG
    K800_418.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 108

sexton

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have thought about going for a while. Fly to Mexico or the Bahamas and continue on.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wont be long and we can fly direct, or grab a ferry even. I'll bet a lot of Cuba is virgin MDing territory.

Last time I had a fresh Cohiba was on a cruise a few years ago. Will be nice to get one again!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can fly direct to Cuba from Canada and could have for many years. I personally would not take a detector down there. Even with the proposed US change in strategy, it will not in the near future affect the local circumstances. You could have a problem at the border and again on the beach. In my humble opinion, it is not worth the risk. Better to go to a more open society/island if you want to detect. No problem if you want to go enjoy the sun, food and booze like other tourists.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that detecting was illegal in Cuba. :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have read posts where persons detected beaches in Cuba, with no issues or problems.

As for "hearing that it's illegal" there, you'd have to ask yourself "says who?", or "where did your source get that info?". Humorously, whenever you read something like that, it's often time someone just quoting something they read from some other earlier post. And when you go to THAT post, it too is getting it's info from something "someone heard" blah blah blah. And ultimately, even if you DID find some official source (a link to something saying "no"), even THEN it's often couched in things like antiquities, or exporting gold bars, or shipwreck salvor things, blah blah blah. So you've got to figure it's more than likely some answer given way-back-when, to someone asking some border consulate lawyer there "can I bring my metal detector?".

Such was the case, for example, of someone who asked a Mexican official. They were told "no". So the person posted that info. But multiple others objected and said "since when?" and "we go there all the time with no problems". And there's dealers there (presumably selling them for lawful usage).

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I said I heard it was illegal...I didn't say it was illegal...just like you heard it was legal...neither of us knows, we just "heard".

spanishgold1

Mar 3, 2011
Utah
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star 2 Pro, Fisher CZ-21, Whites duel field, MineLab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Other
Obamas decision doesnt change anything as it stands now. You can fly to Cuba as it is now via Mexico, and yes it will be more convenient to fly direct from Miami which will be nice. Bottom line its still a Communist Dictator Regime and still will be unless there is a huge political change.

I was going to fly to Cuba with one of my south american hunting partners but decided to fly to Venezuela instead at a last minute change. Venezuela another Regime run by a ruthless Dictator. The Beaches were stunning, beautiful and virgin territory for metal detecting. BUT...... I couldn't get out of there fast enough to the USA. From Back room deals trading american dollars which is illegal, not knowing if your going to come out with your life, or the threat of getting killed on the beach over a few bucks. Yes we were confronted which is another story.

BUT, if Cuba and or Venezuela would get rid of there Dictators both places would be a paradise to visit, to live and to metal detect. Look at Cancun at the hotel district off the beach. Its now a safe place to visit and the Mexican government goes out of its way to make sure the Hotel zone is safe because it wants the money from the Europeans and Americans and dontt want any bad public news. Compare that to other places in Mexico like Juarez one of the deadliest cities in the world.

I am hoping that the day will come when Cuba or Venezuela will become like Cancun where you can go and have a great time, and the metal detecting will be a dream vacation. Plus the fight over the treasure salvage rights will be a huge and the salvage companies will have lots of fun exploring and finding things. It would be nice if I could be involved but I dont think this will happen in my lifetime.

Until then keep your fingers crossed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread