The Hunt For Golden Crabs

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was waist deep in the water, a huge metal scoop resting on his shoulder, the coil of his metal detector panning the bottom. So being from the Midwest she was curious as to what he was doing.

“Pardon me,” she politely inquired, “but I just have to ask. What are you looking for?”

The man paused, slipped his headphones down around his neck. “Golden crabs,” he replied. “This time of the year they come into the shallows to lay their eggs.”

The lady appeared puzzled because she was. “Golden crabs? I've never heard of them before?”

“Well mam,” the man proceeded to explain, “they're a lot like an oyster, really. But instead of a pearl being inside their shell these crabs develop a small gold nugget in their shell and that's why they're called Golden crabs.”

The lady appeared to be enlightened, and grateful of the information. “So do they look like regular crabs?”

“That's the problem,” the man continued to explain. “Yes they do, which is why you need a good metal detector so you can detect the nugget inside of the crab. It's the only way to tell a golden crab from a regular old crab.”

“Do you catch many?”

“Sometimes,” the man replied. “Sometimes you find them in groups when they're migrating but they are very protective of their eggs once laid so they tend to nest in isolation.”

The lady seemed delighted. “Well, don't want to keep you, but thanks for sharing.”

“No problem. Always looking to share the experience with people.” And with that the lady continued her stroll down the beach.

And no, I didn't write this little story to plant any thoughts into anyone's head.

Upvote 0

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now for centuries to come the tale of the Golden Crab will be passed on from generation to generation.
Great story. HH GFP

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great story I'll bring the mustard sauce

Top Member Reactions