Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it appears the Xcal will have another increase.... they like their machine. Looks like this will give Fisher an opportunity to increase the CZ21 as well..... by about 30%. Im sure those prices will also be reflected in repair costs and used prices will increase. Im sorry, but i don have a glimps of the big picture i guess since neither have made any improvements that i can see. One called it production costs the other ..... well it cant be because the dollar has fallen AGAIN.... so id have to say its because they can. At this point i see no need to buy new..... looks like finding a good USED machine and paying for any repairs is the smarter thing to do. I know some will say just find another ring or two.... or three, but even thats been a challenge this year with all the sand and cool weather. Id just like to see something..... ANYTHING that would make me feel like im getting something for that extra money.

Dew

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was front of the line on the Excal 2...
I paid 2500 for a pair of them PRE release...
when they were on "back order" with a 2-3 month waiting list I could have sold them for 1500 each cash..
it was like people were in a frenzy to also be first with em.
I ended up selling BOTH for 1750 a year later after much use and abuse.
The excal2 I use now cost me 1700 with extras.
heh.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted with 3 different partners who used PIs, they all 3 dug a ton of iron, all 3 eventually give up the PIs too.... Tin foil is not an issue for me or my partners who use excals ...... Just saying...

I've also friends who left the excal for a PI due to their lack of customer service, lack of depth, constant break downs, issues with tons of tin foil. Just sayin too. :o

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also friends who left the excal for a PI due to their lack of customer service, lack of depth, constant break downs, issues with tons of tin foil. Just sayin too. :o

my experience with the excal so far-- awesome iron id. no issues whatsoever digging foil. i did have to have pcb replaced. i was without the machine for less than a week which means they diagnosed and repaired it in no more than 2 days. my only customer service issue was that i had to call to find out what was wrong and what was repaired. needless to say i was more than satisfied. i have tried digging everything in all metal with it and quickly realized it was beyond frustrating and not practical. way too many bobby pins, fish hooks, swivels, chair/umbrella parts, canopy stakes, nuts, bolts, screws and the worst in my opinion those damn sparkler wires. it is awfully nice to get the null and be able to keep on swinging. i have no experience with a pi, but if its anything like all metal with an excalibur i would want no part of it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure there have been some who left excal, depth was never an issue for me even before I added the 15" coils and reverse disc mods....Since the mods the only problem with depth on my excal now is it is so deep..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, tones are discernible ... Just as they are on the PI ... No need to dig iron if one listens ...
For example, on the shark, a skippy tone is 98% iron ...
Course, one can be fooled, as I once dug a Platinum saphire braclet which gave same tone.
Same can be said with the excal ...

Way too much emphasis is put on "PI's find iron" than needs to be placed ...
Little to never is the mention on foil to the excal, for example, which is in fact, a burden,
just as iron would be to the PI.

Hunt on brethren.
My CZ21 doesn't pick up foil...it will scream on ketchup packets and can slaw...so if you dig small foil with the Excal and iron with a PI then the CZ21 must be the perfect beach machine. :icon_thumright:

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My CZ21 doesn't pick up foil...it will scream on ketchup packets and can slaw...so if you dig small foil with the Excal and iron with a PI then the CZ21 must be the perfect beach machine. :icon_thumright:

I started with an ace350 and dug tons of foil. Except for stuff like ketchup and pill packs I never dig any small pieces of foil with the excal. Agree about the can slaw tho. Everything I've read and heard abou the cz21 makes it sound like it's every bit as good as the excal and maybe better in some ways. The excal looks a lot cooler tho. Just kidding. I like that you can mod the excal and how it's so balanced and ergonomic on a straight shaft. I wouldn't mind owning a cz21 also.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be curious to see the yearly sales of Excals & CZ21's over the last five years? Then I would like to compare these numbers to the rest of the detectors in this class. Oh wait, there aren't any other detectors in this same class. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be curious to see the yearly sales of Excals & CZ21's over the five ten years? Then I would like to compare these numbers to the rest of the detectors in this class. Oh wait, there aren't any other detectors in this same class. :laughing7:

I know sales on excals are down due to the 3030, still more than enough to keep it in production, but sales are down since release of 3030...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original bbs patents should have expired quite a while ago. I'm surprised cheaper alternatives haven't surfaced yet.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have seen what they did with the Exp and Sov..... im glad its the only machine they sale thats dive capable, so maybe it will be around for awhile. Looks like several companies would like to reduce the number of machines by making multi capable ones like the CTX. That could be the future since there isnt any significant tech changes now days. Dew..... i dont know, ive never had an issue with foil. Goes to show you.... there are several hunting styles that will work out there...... as well as machines. If it works in the salt water you cant go wrong.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Had many PI's, dug foil and iron, now The worst I dig is foil.
Oh and no more sparklers, fishing hooks and.......

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I also would have to say that my WOT'ed PP mod'ed excal is way deeper then my shark and damn near or very similar to my dual field

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had many PI's, dug foil and iron, now The worst I dig is foil.Oh and no more sparklers, fishing hooks and.......
Yeah, foil could be small gold...sparklers and fish hooks are always sparklers and fish hooks.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're one with your machine, no need for iron, hooks, and sparklers ... Foil/tin however, pass. I'd rather spend the time digging the big gold vs the miniscule. :D

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know why we don't see BHID's more often. They work well in the water and wet sand. Only thing that bothered me was the floating coil but that also made it easier above water like on the wet sand.

You knew when it was a coin but with the green light but that yellow light drove me crazy with all the aluminum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread