Public beach or behind the hotels

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
Where would be the best place to hunt? The public beach you can drive on park, swim, barbecue, and even drink. There are lots of people close to the entrances. And there are areas that don't get a lot of traffic. There are no roads you drive on the sand. I tend to think it may be less hunted with a detector. And it is a little further to drive. But the quality of the jewelry may be better at the hotels.
Hunting the hotels seems to be more convenient and assuming most people will stay closer to their hotels would keep most of the possible losses closer together. But then you have to think about the surf spreading all the treasure up and down. And in and out.
I think about five years ago the beach behind the hotels had been replenished. And down the public beach I have found evidence of items from the late 40's.
Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be surprised if a public beach is less hunted. REPLENISHMENT is never a good thing if you are trying to find deeper targets. You have to hunt your beaches long enough to have some idea of where your contributors are. Sounds like you are dry sand hunting. If so, you want to get to those motels early otherwise they may ask you to leave. Motels can be givers more so in the water. I dont know if its they dont have to carry stuff from their rooms or what. Public beaches people seem to be less organized and get a bad case of DROPSEEE. They also tend to have a constant flow of people.

Dew

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The real answer is "both of them". The place where stuff is lost is the place you will find it. Sometimes there is less coins and garbage near all inclusive hotels, but not always. The amount that the shore is protected (wharfs, reefs, etc) generally affects whether the goodies are found where they were dropped or moved by the water action. Typically, public beaches have more real estate to detect, than in front of hotels, but again not always. I once detected in front of a hotel with maybe 30' of sand beach and got 7 rings. I have detected huge beaches, both public and hotel without any gold in the scoop with many more hours spent.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real answer is "both of them". The place where stuff is lost is the place you will find it. Sometimes there is less coins and garbage near all inclusive hotels, but not always. The amount that the shore is protected (wharfs, reefs, etc) generally affects whether the goodies are found where they were dropped or moved by the water action. Typically, public beaches have more real estate to detect, than in front of hotels, but again not always. I once detected in front of a hotel with maybe 30' of sand beach and got 7 rings. I have detected huge beaches, both public and hotel without any gold in the scoop with many more hours spent.

68462-2467-fecmv-a.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to think about is people at the hotels don't want to leave their jewelry in the room for the maid, so the probability is that the hotel is the better bet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread