Sea Hunter MKII questions.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Howdy there !

I run a SH MKII for quite a while now, and am quite pleased with the unit.

I bought it over others because I think it's te best design for the tasks I need it to achieve.

Although I have been succesful with the unit, I have questions as to the way other users set it to hunt wet salt beaches, in and out of the water.

In have a problem in maintaining a stable threshold when I lower it. When the threshols is louder, it gets more stable, but I fear I might lose some tiny signals. Is there a "best" threshold setting? When I set it barely audible, it appears/disappears constantly, so I am wondering if this is OK. Finds at depth come up no matter where it's set, but the wavering bothers me. Any Idea?

Then I noticed that, when passing over shallow shunks of BIG iron, the threshold will null up to 4 seconds. Is this normal/OK? I always wait for it to reset before continuing my sweeping, but was also wondering if it's a normal thing..

Finally, I think the unit is deep enough, but I would like to know, besides coverage, what the depth increase is using the 14x10 coil. I heard 3" on regular coins,but should want your opinions on that matter.

Cheers and HH.

Grumpy.

Upvote 0

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I realized you asked about the SH not the Excal. But I can tell you that on the Excal what your describing is normal. That is, you may set the threshold, but as the detector adjusts, changes frequencies, etc, you may need to reset the threshold. Its not a big deal for me. I set mine a little above barely audible, so its not going in and out, its just going from a light hum to a slightly heavier hum. I like hearing a hum, as opposed to silence, so I know the detector is working.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best threshold I've found on the DF is a slightly audible threshold. I have always noticed a slight wavering sound on the Sand Shark and Dual Field. I hear smaller and deeper targets better I've found. Too high of a threshold will cause you to miss these type signals. I've hunted with Sand Shark, Dual Field and GPX 4800 PI machines and have found same results across the board.

Last edited:

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In have a problem in maintaining a stable threshold when I lower it. When the threshols is louder, it gets more stable, but I fear I might lose some tiny signals. Is there a "best" threshold setting? When I set it barely audible, it appears/disappears constantly, so I am wondering if this is OK. Finds at depth come up no matter where it's set, but the wavering bothers me. Any Idea?

** I have used the SH MKII for a couple of years myself. I turn the threshold up to hold stable audio. You will not miss anything.

Then I noticed that, when passing over shallow shunks of BIG iron, the threshold will null up to 4 seconds. Is this normal/OK? I always wait for it to reset before continuing my sweeping, but was also wondering if it's a normal thing..

*** You shouldn't have to wait, it will sound off if you pass over something good. Next target will force the reset.

Finally, I think the unit is deep enough, but I would like to know, besides coverage, what the depth increase is using the 14x10 coil. I heard 3" on regular coins,but should want your opinions on that matter.

*** I put the 10x14 on mine and it will give 3-6" increase in depth possibly better. I have dug bobbie pins at 2-3ft . That can drive you nuts. The threshold will bounce around a little more in the surf line, but stable on sand and fully submerged. I quit using the 8" a long time ago.

Tim

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Thank you all !

Having a GT in my arsenal, I know how an excal "nulls" on iron, but I had the feeling the nulling of the SH's threshold was quite different.

Tim, thank you very much, I will follow your advice on both threshold and nulling with more peace of mind now.

As for the 14x10, well, I think the next gold will pay for it;

At least, I hope so !

Thanx again !

Cheers & HH

Grumpy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread