The Iceman

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I sat down to write 1000 word article on beach hunting, it's -7 outside. In fact, I just got back from carrying some firewood inside, not exactly a beach hunting atmosphere. So there I sat, in front of the computer watching the courser blink at me, all I could see was the white page and it was making me shiver. All I could think about was snow.

It's a mental thing, I know, but try as I did I simply couldn't turn all that white into warm beach sand. I felt like I was stuck in a blizzard, the dog and cat looking up at me with concerned eyes. On most days the dog is always willing to go outside but today it even refused to chase a leftover ham bone out the front door. A 1000 word article on beach hunting. Are they kidding. I drove twenty-six miles today, the van was finally getting warm when I pulled back into the driveway.

I suppose I could write about how badly I miss the beach and its seventy-degree winter temperatures. I suppose I could say that I'd give anything to be somewhat chilled in my wetsuit. Today I had so many layers of clothes on I felt like a freezing Eskimo. Who in the world would ask an Eskimo to write a 1000 word article about beach hunting? Ice fishing, maybe, but beach hunting?

I made chilli this afternoon, the thick kind with sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes and onions and green peppers, a little ground beef, and just enough spice to make the nose run. My nose was running when I went outside to gather the firewood, a few minutes later the hair follicles in my nose were frozen. Had I made the right choice in coming to this frigid place for the winter?

When I brought the firewood inside I was greeted by my three year old granddaughter, big bright eyes and that tiny warm smile. “Grandpa,” she said, “you look like an iceman.” Yep! I made the right choice. “Priceless!” :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Priceless, Great story.

It got down to 59 this morning so I turned off the air conditioner and opened the windows, but now it's back up to 72 if it gets any warmer I'll have to turn it back on.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Priceless, Great story.

It got down to 59 this morning so I turned off the air conditioner and opened the windows, but now it's back up to 72 if it gets any warmer I'll have to turn it back on.
Yeah, weve had the AC on all week here in central Florida.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, those grandkids are priceless, some of the things they say and do just stick in your mind like hearing a nice clunker in the scoop. Stay warm my friend....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, weve had the AC on all week here in central Florida.

Ratfink....Go ahead and rub it in. Florida.PNG
It's 5 degrees here in Michigan and my car hasn't left the driveway in two weeks cause my feet are froze to the floor.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ratfink....Go ahead and rub it in. View attachment 1103895
It's 5 degrees here in Michigan and my car hasn't left the driveway in two weeks cause my feet are froze to the floor.
I feel for you guys but we pay for it in the summer...it gets so hot the only way we can hunt is to get in the water.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having experienced both extremes, extreme heat VS extreme cold, I asked myself yesterday which is the lesser of these two evils? :dontknow::icon_scratch: Still thinking on it. :laughing7:

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great "warming" story about what is important in life.

I was talking to a fellow miner near the Yukon this summer and asked him how he survived the winter up there and his answer was "I don't". As soon as he has celebrated New Years, he heads off to a different warm place until May each year. I want to sign up for that, but will have to wait until I can retire. In the mean time, I usually take a few weeks and fly somewhere south and always take the metal detector. This year however, I am not sure I can do it, because my daughter is not performing to expectations at school and it would be a bad idea to pull her from school. Too bad, because this is the last year (age 12) that she can "stay for free" at the all inclusive resorts. Ah, the sacrifices we make...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well written, I liked it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent story! Thank you for sharing.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain I also long for the warm weather and swing my detector, but the ground is frozen, so I spend my time in search for when the ground thaws. Until then enjoy your family time they grow old quickly.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well it's back up to 78 here today. I can't wait for that next cold front so we get back in the 60's

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freezing rain and sleet here right now, a lot of black ice on the roads. It looks like a crystal wonderland outside, which is pretty neat. There's a warm crackling fire in the corner of the room next to the easy chair, the sleet tapping on the window glass, and old treasure related book with bent page corners sitting on the small log reading table. I'm finding it difficult to keep an open eye in these environments, a tray of summer sausage, cheese and crackers within easy reach. The front of the A-frame is all glass which provides an open vista into the winter woods, a few deer head mounts on the walls, an old stage coach double barrel shotgun mounted to one of the beams overhead. This is good rest, like a bear hibernating for the winter. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread