Whites BHID 300 not very popular?

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering why there isn't much input on this detector even though it has been around for a while.
I live in MA in the Cape Cod area. There is some black sand here and there on some beaches as well as some Hot Rocks but I'm not sure if the beaches here are considered heavily mineralized as the beaches on the West coast. The Fisher CZ21 operates on similar frequencies as the BHID 300, is almost $300. more but doesn't have the LED lights that operate in All Metal Mode which would definitely help. Not sure how they compare depth wise in All Metal. Sorry Minelab but this veteran wants to do business here in the US only whenever possible. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I plan on purchasing a water machine this March.
Thanks,
Tom

Upvote 0

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This veteran feels the same way.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I don't know why either. I think this detector doesn't get enough credit for its capabilities.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
I metal detect on Cape Cod and use the BHID. It can handle the beaches here very well and is a good machine. Black sand is not a problem. Hot rocks are a problem, but would be a problem to almost any other machine. Good luck!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the same question a few days ago...I would of bought a BHID because I liked every thing about it...the reason I didn't was because so few people use them...the people that use them always say they like them.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Just to add a few more comments. I don't think Whites has the PR network in place that some of the other manufactures do. That's why you don't hear as much about them. Or maybe the users just don't want to expose there advantage? One of the most successful gold gatherers I have ever met uses a Whites PI machine, but keeps a low profile. I use both a Whites BHID and a Garett AT Pro which I also love. It's not what you swing, it's how you use it.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just wondering why there isn't much input on this detector even though it has been around for a while,
Tom

Grumph !

Not only do I have the same questionment, but the BHID is one of these U.S. units some European importers did choose NOT to sell.

We also had to wait for the older stocks of Surf PI's to be sold before we could get our greedy claws on DF models.

Good VLF beach detectors are thin on the ground, and I really wonder what's wrong with the BHID. Read some US stories about leaking, but that was a long time ago.

Cheers & HH

Grumpy

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grumph !

Not only do I have the same questionment, but the BHID is one of these U.S. units some European importers did choose NOT to sell.

We also had to wait for the older stocks of Surf PI's to be sold before we could get our greedy claws on DF models.

Good VLF beach detectors are thin on the ground, and I really wonder what's wrong with the BHID. Read some US stories about leaking, but that was a long time ago.

Cheers & HH

Grumpy
Yeah, they switched to a different gasket years ago and I don't hear about leaking problems now.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sundancer,
On the White Forum (water detector) the moderator,deolslyfox, writes about "super tuning" the BHID. This adjustment was discovered by some other fellow. It is supposed to provide additional depth. Since you give the thumbs up on the BHID ID 300, that's good enough for me. I'll be ordering one soon from Kellyco. I've been using the DFX since 2003 but never had a long handle scoop besides since the box isn't waterproof, didn't want to risk getting it wet. The Stealth 920i hybrid looks like a good choice. HH.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a CZ20 and a CZ21. I see nothing wrong with the BHID and in fact have used a friend's on occasion. It is funny that you mention the LEDs on the CZ. I have to say "I guess they are there". I do not ever use them, on land, in the surf or diving. ie. that sure is not a selling point to me.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ has ID lights like the BH? I did not know that.
The cz 20 and earlier models of the cz 21 had a light on them but I believe they were considered a weak point (cracking). No longer on the newer cz 21.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hahaha. I had to walk downstairs and take it off the wall to look. Nope, no lights - - no wonder I don't use them. I then thought it might be the 1280-X Aquanaut, but nope, no leds on that one either.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The BH is a monster, period! In all metal the thing goes deeper than I want sometimes. It can pickup a coin/gold next to iron. Has a big coil to cover a lot of sand, and is easy to use. The fact that you can run in all metal and still have disc lights at your disposal make it a great detector. The BAD. The coil sucks in the water, I'm sorry but it does. After an hour in the water my shoulder is done. I feel like I'm constantly fighting the coil. The machine is very chatty, especially in all metal. But once you go over a good target it'll blow your ears off. To answer the OP's original question, well the Xcal has been around for a while and has gathered a cult following amongst water hunters. The Xcal is just an amazing machine. And the "floating" coil has a lot to be desired on BH. I also fell in love with the minelab tones. Just my 2 cents, Mike

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Is that even with the control mounted on your hip, that it still bothers your shoulder? What about a the bracket they make for the coil to keep it from floating?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that even with the control mounted on your hip, that it still bothers your shoulder? What about a the bracket they make for the coil to keep it from floating?
It's not a weight issue, its the constant fighting I have to do with the coil. The coil is just not made for water hunting in my opinion.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a weight issue, its the constant fighting I have to do with the coil. The coil is just not made for water hunting in my opinion.
You mean fighting to keep it close to the bottom because it wants to float up?

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't knock the BH 300 ID
I did very well with it in the dry sand and found a lot of water with it too.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean fighting to keep it close to the bottom because it wants to float up?
Sort of, it just doesn't work through the water as easily as I like. I have to use extra effort to swing it under water. A lot of resistance. I believe the "floating" characteristics of the coil and it's design play a big part in it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
What about the coil bracket they make to keep it from floating. Doesn't this stop it from floating???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread