vacation ideas....shallow water hunting

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased a Garrett AT Pro and would like to go on a "metal detecting vacation" with it. The AT-Pro is good up to 10' of water. Any ideas? I live in the desert so water sources are scarce. I've never detected in water before. Do hobbyists use these mainly in streams? Or lakes? I don't know. Just looking for any feedback out there. And what can I expect to find? I mainly look to find silver coins. Thx.

Upvote 0

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakes are a great spot and the pro is good in freshwater. Get a good scoop. Rivers can be a little tougher but certainly can be done. Old silver can be found around old swimming holes. There are a few guys on TNET that make some great finds at old swimming holes. As far as what you can find..........well.........thats the reason we hunt.......ya just never know! Good luck!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakes are a great spot and the pro is good in freshwater. Get a good scoop. Rivers can be a little tougher but certainly can be done. Old silver can be found around old swimming holes. There are a few guys on TNET that make some great finds at old swimming holes. As far as what you can find..........well.........thats the reason we hunt.......ya just never know! Good luck!

Yup, what he said! Also, do yourself a flavor and watch a whole bunch of Aquachigger videos on Youtube. Beau Ouimette makes some great videos of stuff and he hunts in water about 90% of the time. Lots of good advice from that guy. Frankly? - If you live in AZ, water hunting may not be your thing unless you take a trip. Heck, I'd be searching for nuggets and meteorites if I lived out there! They'd call me, "Higgy the Desert Rat."

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would has the AT-Gold if I was in AZ! Nuggets and meteorites would be on the list!

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, what he said! Also, do yourself a flavor and watch a whole bunch of Aquachigger videos on Youtube. Beau Ouimette makes some great videos of stuff and he hunts in water about 90% of the time. Lots of good advice from that guy. Frankly? - If you live in AZ, water hunting may not be your thing unless you take a trip. Heck, I'd be searching for nuggets and meteorites if I lived out there! They'd call me, "Higgy the Desert Rat."

I was born a coinshooter. I have no interest in hunting gold nuggets--too much competition out here. And meteorites are TOO hard to find. Silver coins and jewelry are mainly my gig.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AT Pro will like freshwater more than saltwater. Lakes are good. Find beaches, swimming holes, etc.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^^^THIS^^^

Living in AZ, swimming holes have just GOT to be a rarity. I'd start asking every oldtimer I saw, "Hey when you were young, where did everyone go for a swim?"

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^^^THIS^^^

Living in AZ, swimming holes have just GOT to be a rarity. I'd start asking every oldtimer I saw, "Hey when you were young, where did everyone go for a swim?"

I really only know 1 swimming hole that has a reputation. There's probably others--but not many.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry irrigation canals are used for swimming when running so if you find a dry canal check it out you might find some goodies.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out

everything you need to know is in this man's videos-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread