🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
between a new CTX3030 or a used Xcal/Etrac combo which would you choose. CTX does both but is only one unit. The combo is two machines and both dedicated to its purpose. If one of the combo units is down I have the other as backup. I would also have to learn 2 machines as opposed to one. I would also save around $600 going the used combo route. What do you all think? Mike

Upvote 0

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would definitely go with the combo. I have heard too many nightmares of those that have submerged their CTX's. Plus, it's only good to 10 foot. I have a friend with the CTX who has had told me several times that he liked the Etrac better.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the excal first, go out and dig gold then buy the CTX with the funds from the excal. The combo is good but nice to have a backup water machine that will take some of the (Lite) load off the Excalibur, and be able to use it on the land.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Excal and the CTX 3030 and haven't had any problems with either one!
Wouldn't sell either one! Both bought used and saved tons!

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it boils down to whether I want a backup for the water or for land. The combo route would leave me high and dry should the Xcal go down when water hunting. Dirt hunting would kinda be difficult with the Xcal should the Etrac go down. I think I might go Joe's route and get an Xcal, find gold and get a CTX as it would fit both criteria. But..... If the CTX gives me an issue then I'll be back to square one in the dirt with an Xcal. I wish I was rich, I'd get them all!

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Excal and the CTX 3030 and haven't had any problems with either one!
Wouldn't sell either one! Both bought used and saved tons!
Where did you find a used CTX? Seems like no one is getting rid of theirs.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello MrMikeJackie,

Personally, I have different machines for each of my hunting styles; water, beach, land and relic. Looking at your detector profile, it appears you have some nice detectors. I too, am looking at either an E-trac or CTX-3030. Do I need them? Do I want them - yes! I love technology and tinkering with the settings; hence the Whites DFX and V3i. If I do but the Minelab e or 3030 it will be new with a warranty. I wish you well in your decision.

Best Regards,

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello MrMikeJackie,

Personally, I have different machines for each of my hunting styles; water, beach, land and relic. Looking at your detector profile, it appears you have some nice detectors. I too, am looking at either an E-trac or CTX-3030. Do I need them? Do I want them - yes! I love technology and tinkering with the settings; hence the Whites DFX and V3i. If I do but the Minelab e or 3030 it will be new with a warranty. I wish you well in your decision.

Best Regards,
All my whites detectors are now gone, leaving me with a wad of money and a crucial decision to make. I love my sovereign so I might be more partial towards an Xcal. My buddies have Ctx's and love them. I don't know

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking over the list of machines you already have, I'd buy the true water machine, the Excal/combo. Then I'd send the Excal to either OBN or Search and Recovery for a full mod, remote switch, improved headphones, and even the ability to swap coils. :thumbsup:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have none of these machines, but if I were about to spring for a couple new machines, I would go for a Deus and a CZ-21. If I could sum up everything from studying comments and attitudes toward all the top-end machines over the last six months, I'd have to choose these two. The Deus will be in my stable soon for sure... as soon as I get done buying tractor tires and kitchen appliances, lol! :laughing7:

I know this isnt exactly what you asked for, MrMike, but if your choices were all I had, I would do the combo and avoid the CTX.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would get an excal and hunt on land and in water with it. ive never really understood why people say its not a good land machine. im assuming because of the weight?? i have mine on a straight shaft with the control behind my elbow and i dont really notice a difference in it and my ace350 as far as fatigue. people hunt wet sand with an excal all day long which i dont really see as much different than hunting a field. maybe im missing something tho.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im happy with my CZ21/AT PRO combo...CZ for the salt and AT for land and freshwater...AT saved the day when my CZ went down.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking over the list of machines you already have, I'd buy the true water machine, the Excal/combo. Then I'd send the Excal to either OBN or Search and Recovery for a full mod, remote switch, improved headphones, and even the ability to swap coils. :thumbsup:
That's pretty much what I believe I'm going to do. Don't think I can swing an Excal without OBN making it special first.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would get an excal and hunt on land and in water with it. ive never really understood why people say its not a good land machine. im assuming because of the weight?? i have mine on a straight shaft with the control behind my elbow and i dont really notice a difference in it and my ace350 as far as fatigue. people hunt wet sand with an excal all day long which i dont really see as much different than hunting a field. maybe im missing something tho.
I hear ya buddy, I've got a Sovereign. But after a while not having a screen gets a little old in the dirt. I believe each machine serves a specific purpose, and an Excal just isn't made for dirt. Just my opinion.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookingdown...... me an you need to get together ill let you use an moded Xcal with a PP switch and GGA. i like the combo rather than a single machine..... why because i break stuff lol. Ive just not seen the CTX as a BETTER choice over the Xcal out there. Hunt with the Xcal on land..... it would drive you nuts in a trashy area with no TID. Recovery time youd hate and reducing sensitivity would loose you depth. Its a water/sand machine plain and simple. I like the CTX as a land machine choice over the Etrac for tone adjustments and recovery. Im not looking for a reason not to dig..... i just want a little disc ID. Thats why i hunt in PP..... and thats why the simple to use Xcal is a good salt water machine.

Dew

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My approach (not that it is the correct one) would be as follows. First figure out where you are going to spend the majority of your time and buy the best machine for that particular purpose. Every detector has its pros and cons in particular situations. If dry land, seriously look at weight (with or without hip mounting the electronics). Decide on VLF or PI. If VLF, there have really not been many breakthroughs in recent years, so consider used. For PI, there are recent improvements, so I would wait as long as possible and buy new. One machine vs two, may mostly depend on where you are going and can you take two machines without a hassle? I fly to many spots, so one detector is the better option to me (my luggage is typically overweight already and attracts the extra baggage fees). If I could drive, then that would not be such a consideration. I suspect the reason you are having difficulty deciding on what to do is because both options are attractive. In the end, doesn't really matter what is decided, because you are looking at great detectors and either option is a good one.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421323102.182459.jpg

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi big scoop! That one in the picture is coilteks connector which was sold with the WOT coil and they also provide an extra receiving end for your stock coil, so both can be used at will. Seems well built and as waterproof as a excalibur end cap. Basically the same design. If I'm not mistaken..they are available for purchase separately.
Dave ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421369653.783803.jpg

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi big scoop! That one in the picture is coilteks connector which was sold with the WOT coil and they also provide an extra receiving end for your stock coil, so both can be used at will. Seems well built and as waterproof as a excalibur end cap. Basically the same design. If I'm not mistaken..they are available for purchase separately.
Dave View attachment 1106454

That's what I thought, just couldn't quite tell in the previous picture. I've used them before and they seem to do ok as long as the switching doesn't become too routine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread