Upvote 0

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For the same price range you can get a Tesoro Sand Shark, and it has a lifetime warranty. Its a PI machine, and I believe the detector pro is a single frequency VLF machine, typically those don't do very well in salt water. I am not a fan of the whole "battery in the headphones" concept either.

Another good machine, also a PI would be the Garrett Sea Hunter, similar price range as well.

My thoughts are, do multi-frequency VLF or do PI, but do not do single frequency VLF.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Sand Shark.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I scuba dive quite often and use a Fisher CZ20 or CZ21. Both work fine in salt and fresh water. I used to have a Fisher 1280 PI, but find that I prefer a VLF detector that can discriminate out iron when the area is trashy or the digging difficult. I find less junk out at depth (not always, sometimes it is a dump or junkyard out there), so a larger coil is my go to option. I find it better to wear more dive weights than when I recreationally dive. If in sand, a scoop that pulls towards you is a nice to have. Usually, most things can be found with waving my hand over the target to move away the light silt and sand. Lots of fun, especially when something gold winks back at you. In the end, it doesn't really matter what detector your use as long as you know how to set it up and get into the right area. Have fun!

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input. A couple questions....Is there a PI that is more efficient in picking up small gold jewelry? Is that what the higher price point brings? I looked at some reviews and tests of the sand shark as well as the sea hunter and to be honest was not very impressed with the performance concerning smaller jewelry. Now I use the AT Pro and it kills the small jewelry so perhaps that is the feature that is lost by moving to the pulse induction type machine. I don't know. Any input? Thanks.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are diving in freshwater and want a machine for small gold jewelry the TIGER Shark is your best bet. It isn't good for salt water though. You have to step up to the CZ or Excal to do both fresh and salt. Or buy the Tiger and Sand shark. I prefer the 8" coil on any water machine when diving.

Zerovis

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there , I have owned the Detectorpro HH , and on land its a very good machine, however underwater its not , the ear cups are prone to cracking as the covers snap into place , I took it on 4 dives it leaked on every one , I had it back to the factory to no avail , you would be better with a vibra-tector 730 , my next diving detector will be the Excalibur ll ,presently I am using the vibratector or an aquapulse AQ1B

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I use the Garrett infinium L/S (PI machine) it's a bit more in cost, but you can find them on an online auction for around your price range.

Regards,

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHECK OUT SOME OF THE U TUBE VIDS OUT THERE - THERE ARE ONES WITH JUST ABOUT EVERY UNDERWATER MACHINE OUT THERE

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
CHECK OUT SOME OF THE U TUBE VIDS OUT THERE - THERE ARE ONES WITH JUST ABOUT EVERY UNDERWATER MACHINE OUT THERE

Yeah, I have poured over hundreds of hours of YT video. Sent "detector comparisons" a pm, but no response. I am leaning toward the Excal II now. The price is a lot more than I want to spend, but I spose it is what it is.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, I have poured over hundreds of hours of YT video. Sent "detector comparisons" a pm, but no response. I am leaning toward the Excal II now. The price is a lot more than I want to spend, but I spose it is what it is.
Try to find a good deal on a Blue Excal 800 or 1000. They are said to be better machines than the Excal II and are a bit lower in price. GL and HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the 1280 in salt but it is really a freshwater unit because it is only one frequency. The Tiger Shark also is better in freshwater. Both these are built like tanks to take the pressure of deep water and not the ten foot limit of the toys. The Excal, CZ-20/21 are excellent at depth in fresh or salt. I've used these with success. Only took the Sand Shark down I think twice but found it to deep finding for me on limited air.:laughing7:

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks so much for all of your input. I am seriously leaning towards the Excal II. I think it's versatility is worth the extra money. It also appears to be a tried and true machine. I will be hunting both fresh and salt water at depths of up to 100 ft yet I also will be using it for beach hunting as well. Now just to convince the wife....:icon_scratch:

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detectorpro underwater is also fixing to be realesed with a larger NEL Coil video is on youtube.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I use my detectors to dive almost 3 times a week.

I had the previous version of Dtector Pro product, I had a major leak in the headphone which is still is the core machine in the current version... To be honest, it's a decent detector for the price, but In terms of performance I was not impressed at all....

Depend what your are looking for under the sea ;-)

For big stuff, such as lost ships, take a PI like Aquascan, Ebinger
For small stuff such as lost item not far from the beach: VLF for sure like Excalibur with a few mods, CTX if you waterproof it well (take a look at one of my post) or a high end PI from Manta detectors or an oldy Eric Foster. CZ-21 is a good machine either but less easy to handle underwater....

here's a picture with a depth gauge record with a well prepared CTX : -12m
ctx-usb-cap4.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread