Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark II is a good unit. Depends if you want disc. A Excal or CZ-21 might do the trick for you. Then there is the CTX 3030 for $$$. I have never used one yet but understand its great. Depends on how much fun you can stand.

OP
OP
goldringseaker

goldringseaker

Mar 15, 2012
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Thanks! Now with that CTX 3030, it can basically do everything right? Say I wanted to go take a trip and do some dry non beach hunting at a park or homestead per-say, would this machine work? What would've be the best all around detector?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Now with that CTX 3030, it can basically do everything right? Say I wanted to go take a trip and do some dry non beach hunting at a park or homestead per-say, would this machine work? What would've be the best all around detector?

Well it can't fly but the CTX 3030 is an excellent machine for what you want to accomplish. My suggestion would be to download the manuals for what you're interested in and see if you can get along with how the detector functions.
Best of luck!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3030 would be an excellent choice but it has had leakage issues. Of the 5 hunters I know who use the machine all have suffered leakage issues at least once. However, all of these hunters are hunting in turbulent ocean conditions when water hunting. Some say that you just have maintain excellent care of the thin sealing surface to prevent the issue, so? If it wasn't for these leakage issues I'd probably own one but of the 5 hunters I referenced none will no longer risk taking the unit into the water and submerging the control unit, so personally, I just don't feel like the risk is worth the investment. Too bad this issue hasn't been addressed.

OP
OP
goldringseaker

goldringseaker

Mar 15, 2012
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Thank you both for the insight! That really helps. I just want to make sure that I end up getting a machine that I will love and not regret.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know how consistant you are with your current machine. Sounds like you just want another machine..... which if you do much hunting is smart. The CTX is likely your best choice if you want an all around machine. Its fast recovery, tone adjustments, TID screen, and waterproof puts it on the short list as an all around machine. BUT if you pan on using it primarily for salt water beach hunting..... id got with the CZ or Xcal. The PI you have is a good machine adding a disc water machine is a great idea especially during recent drop periods here in Fl... you want to cover as much beach as possible. Now lets talk price..... for the price of a CTX you can get an Xcal AND another land machine..... maybe a single freq since we dont have a lot of minerals to deal with. The CTX does have some leaking issues.... it also has some lower rod issues not many talk about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread