🥇 BANNER -550 BC Coin found Scuba detection with CTX

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

Found today in the Med sea, -9m scuba diving using Minelab CTX 3030 with Coiltek 10x5 CTX coil.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG
View attachment 1110034 MAE-CTX-roundup.jpg
266373Ctx3030underwaterprogram.jpg

CTX_underwater3_1280.jpg

CTX_underwater2_1280.jpg

This coin is over 2500 years old!

Created by the Grec chamber of Commerce for the Marseille region (French Riviera)

->Want more photos of scuba metal detection looking for +2000 years old shipwreck?
Check out this post: Minelab Excalibur II - scuba diving

-> Battery leaking with your Minealb CTX3030? Need to waterproof your CTX 3030 metal detector:
Take a look to this post : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/447583-make-real-waterproof-ctx-3030-scuba-diving-experience.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After deeper research, the period is aroud -300 to -130 BC (still old).

I have some bronze and silver versions from this period. Keep in mind that in Europe, Antique coins are "everyday finds", I don't say you can find them on the street, but even a Newbie will find similar coins. Antique coins are more common to find in good shape then recent coins, because of the quality of the compound.

Thanks Fm, for letting everyone know that you don't have be some super detectorist to find a coin like yours. Yea, it helps to have nice equipment but that's not all it takes.
Fantastic find and a well deserved congrats to you!

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a beautiful find. You must be the first person to hold that coin in your hand in over 2,000 years. I can only imagine the feeling. Thanks for sharing your find. Banner vote!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I really want to thanks every body and your warm welcome.

In Europe, we have 3 coins periods:

Recents coin : from 1800->now days
Middle Ages and Royales -> 600 -> 1799
Antiques : from -600 -> +550

All of them are commun, antique coins are found in regions where the Grecs and the Roman Empire had a footprint.

99,99% of them are found inland. My first coin find was a 1640 Royal coin that I've in a field next to my countryhouse!

To come back to this discovery, it is not usual to find coins in the sea, most of the time we find these amphoras in massive amount:

All of them are from -600BC -> +300

amphoresap-719975.jpg
muse-39-photo_5.jpg
31-21-02.jpg

It is not allowed anymore to bring them back to surface :thumbsup:

Hope you can now understand why there is a need to use VLF OR "special Pulse Induction" detectors (<15μs playback start) to digg underwater in here. We have almost 25 centuries of human pollution under the sea as well.

In here we say : "The Bins of the past are today treasures"

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Fm, for letting everyone know that you don't have be some super detectorist to find a coin like yours. Yea, it helps to have nice equipment but that's not all it takes.
Fantastic find and a well deserved congrats to you!

Let me show you a study case:

Gold Napoleon coins 1840, hammed in a forest with a basic ACE250.
Value of the coins is around $2K each.
IMG_0839.JPG

You may have the most powerfull detector, if you have nothing under it, no chance to to digg something!!! :laughing7:

Having a high end detector is only for comfort, hunt areas with difficult terrain and have the pleasure to gear a great machine. I've seen incredible finds hammed with $300USD detectors...

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
frogmaster,

True about the caliber of machine shouldn't really matter much in finding the good stuff.....I've found keepers with beginner, intermediate and advanced machines....you just have to get the coil over the good stuff.

Regards + HH

Bill

Let me show you a study case:

Gold Napoleon coins 1840, hammed in a forest with a basic ACE250.
Value of the coins is around $2K each.
View attachment 1110522

You may have the most powerfull detector, if you have nothing under it, no chance to to digg something!!! :laughing7:

Having a high end detector is only for comfort, hunt areas with difficult terrain and have the pleasure to gear a great machine. I've seen incredible finds hammed with $300USD detectors...

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
frogmaster,

True about the caliber of machine shouldn't really matter much in finding the good stuff.....I've found keepers with beginner, intermediate and advanced machines....you just have to get the coil over the good stuff.

Regards + HH

Bill

In here on local forums in the country of the DEUS, we say for fun "even without a coil, the DEUS smells the coins" :laughing7:

I personaly detect with my friends on low trashy areas, most of them don't have high ends detectors, and we all have our pockets full of relics and greats coins similar to the one I've found underwater. The Euroace of my kids is a pleasure of simplicity and power in all metal mode.

I always say : to get 10% more depth, be prepared to pay 100% more.

On silver antique coins like those ones that i appreciate the most (obole marseille, -130BC) :

obole17.jpg

The Xterra 705 using it's Prospecting Mod is a killer, even compared to GPX 5000, trust me...(I'm not the guy that had the Xterra this day)

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
frogmaster,

Being based in Europe probably a good comparison for the quality of machines versus value would be wine....I've had Chateau wines that as you say cost 100% or more than table wines and the quality certainly was not that much greater than the common ones.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic underwater find! My vote for Banner!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
frogmaster,

Being based in Europe probably a good comparison for the quality of machines versus value would be wine....I've had Chateau wines that as you say cost 100% or more than table wines and the quality certainly was not that much greater than the common ones.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill, I see you come from Quebec, so what I'm going to say below need to remains between us :censored::

"Il est plus facile de se rassurer en passant commande d'un détecteur haut de gamme confortablement du fond de son canapé que d'aller se confronter à la réalité"

Pour le vin, étant un amateur je dirais que tout vin est à découvrir et à apprecier du moment qu'il est cultivé, récolté et produit avec amour et passion!

Sorry for the foreigners of this forums :laughing7:

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
frogmaster,

Thanks for the chuckles and yes I agree with the jest of your message....for the rest of the folks well they'll just have to learn the language of Molliere to get the humor....lol.

Salutations!

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frogmaster,

Thanks for the chuckles and yes I agree with the jest of your message....for the rest of the folks well they'll just have to learn the language of Molliere to get the humor....lol.

Salutations!

Regards + HH

Bill

Google translate works fine....

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TH,

Yeah just having a bit of fun with one of my French cousins from across the pond....there's pluses and minuses with speaking both French and English.....the main one being I end up messing them both up on a regular basis....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH,

Yeah just having a bit of fun with one of my French cousins from across the pond....there's pluses and minuses with speaking both French and English.....the main one being I end up messing them both up on a regular basis....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

NP, I was only saying Google translate works on most languages...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you you want me to "get it authenticated"?

Will a picture on an IPAD showing this post will be enough?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frog...
whats your rundown on your excel setting over there ?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Frog...
whats your rundown on your excel setting over there ?

Please explain, I'm newbie on this forum + english is not my mother tongh...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread