🥇 BANNER -550 BC Coin found Scuba detection with CTX

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

Found today in the Med sea, -9m scuba diving using Minelab CTX 3030 with Coiltek 10x5 CTX coil.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG
View attachment 1110034 MAE-CTX-roundup.jpg
266373Ctx3030underwaterprogram.jpg

CTX_underwater3_1280.jpg

CTX_underwater2_1280.jpg

This coin is over 2500 years old!

Created by the Grec chamber of Commerce for the Marseille region (French Riviera)

->Want more photos of scuba metal detection looking for +2000 years old shipwreck?
Check out this post: Minelab Excalibur II - scuba diving

-> Battery leaking with your Minealb CTX3030? Need to waterproof your CTX 3030 metal detector:
Take a look to this post : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/447583-make-real-waterproof-ctx-3030-scuba-diving-experience.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find!!

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Similar images are found on coins noted as Thourioi (or Thurium), Lucania depicting Athena and the bull Qouriwn or the same word spelled in Greek; usually with a dolphin in the exergue, under the bull. But I've never seen the coin in gold; and the date range is usually between 425 and 300 BC. Have you had the coin authenticated?
Don.....

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Similar images are found on coins noted as Thourioi (or Thurium), Lucania depicting Athena and the bull Qouriwn or the same word spelled in Greek; usually with a dolphin in the exergue, under the bull. But I've never seen the coin in gold; and the date range is usually between 425 and 300 BC. Have you had the coin authenticated?
Don.....

It's a Massalia "tete au taureau" (marseille, bull's head), it's a very rare gold version. not the first one I've found in this area, but this one is in a superb condition! I will post other diggs as soon as I have cleaned them: at the present time they are all with a huge dark black dirt...maybe other good surprise will follow....

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Extraordinary coin find!:headbang:

Congratulations to you on fine detecting!

Lorraine

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you recall how the CTX displayed the Massalia "tete au taureau"?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet coin..... brave man taking the CTX diving. That alone earns you points in my book. Looking forward to the other coins.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet coin..... brave man taking the CTX diving. That alone earns you points in my book. Looking forward to the other coins.

I've had hard time with my CTX 3030 to make it Submersible. CTX is so much better then Excal in terms of sensistivity that even if it's not designed for, when the depth is "almost compatible:laughing9: " I choose to dive with my CTX and take the Excal as a backup on the boat.
You can have a look to my post to run a bulletproof submersible CTX : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/447583-make-real-waterproof-ctx-3030-scuba-diving-experience.html

Here's the round up of Yesterday diving, I haven't included all the usual trash :laughing7:

The coin was found with the Coilteck coil

12.09 solid with the COILTECK 10*5 => a nightmare to use underwater, but the best coil for me on small goldy targets in my area, it's my "killer coil" : it killes my arm when spinning underwater and cost me glue to repare my upper CTX shaft each time!
12.14/12.16 on the 17"
12.09/12.12 with the 11"
Haven't test with the 6" (sorry)
Keep in mind that Air test are only for infromation, sand, black sand and water condition only let you use the "sound" of the CTX. I only use the screen to identify target size and "trace signature" when the signal is strange.
Seawater on / coin target seperation / 25 sensivity level / no ground balance
Personnal discrimination pattern, almost all metal (opened pattern) except on heavy iron; but always keep in mind : deep targets may sound like iron when they are almost out of reach :dontknow:
It's an "MAΣ" coin => Massalia (Antique name of Marseille, known to be a Grec commerce exchange point) for sure around -450/-550BC

roundup-MAE-COIN.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We're can I get the o- ring you described in your water proofing article

Try to find an inner diameter 79mm but less then 80mm with a 2,0mm -> 2.7mm gauge. NBR70 is fine (NBR is Nitrile Butadiene Rubber and the 70 is the durometer or hardness of the compound). This gasket will hardnen you battery lock and prevent from accidental unlocking as well.

I'm sure you can find plenty in the USA, they are very commun in Europe...

IMG_0753.JPG

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Automatic banner imo.

Last edited:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW I'd say banner, can you get it authenticated?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the waterproofing link and Info about the O Ring!
Congratulations on The very cool find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
After deeper research, the period is around -300 to -130 BC (still old).

I have some bronze and silver versions from this period. Keep in mind that in Europe, Antic coins are "everyday finds", I don't say you can find them on the street, but even a Newbie will find similar coins in Bronze or silver version. Antic coins are more common to find in good shape then recent coins, because of the quality of the compound.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive Detecting!!8-) Congratulations!!:occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Lets see A Beach Banner Finally!! Banner find and my banner vote!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread