Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Deus on Saltwater Beach; What's Your Experience

I'd very much appreciate hearing from a Deus user about their experience on a saltwater beach...especially in the wet sand area--sensitivity, depth, settings and overall performance.

I'm relatively new to the Deus and still testing it in differing environments. This past week, I tested it on very wet sand at Daytona Beach.

The Wet Beach program is surprisingly stable and sensitive. I buried a coin about 10" deep in VERY wet sand right at the tide line. The Deus sounded off.. No question about hitting a target. The only falsing was when I hit or touched the coil on the sand. I couldn't sweep the coil directly on the sand as I can with my Excal II.

A more experienced Deus user advised me to notch out the range causing the falsing and it should be OK. Haven't tried that yet but will next time.

Not being a multi-frequency machine like the Excalibur, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how stable the Deus was on our Florida beaches......it performed very well in my opinion except for when I hit the coil on the sand that is. Now our beaches are currently very sanded in and the number of "depositors" is down significantly but I did find a few clad and some very small paper thin shards of metal at depths of 8-10".

My test validated this video and I'd sure like to hear from others:

Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a DEUS, it a "FANTASTIC MACHINE" for the Iron infested old European soil. I only use my CTX 3030 in land for pasture when it has rained... Now for beach hunting when the sea level is less then 2 ft down : FORGET IT and take your CTX !!!!

Really, I come from the country of DEUS, we ALL have one in here, it's the fastest machine you can find on the market but it is NOT compatible with Seawater AT ALL. Why would you think we will carry a truck with us (the CTX) rather then a feather???

Deus is a bit less powerfull then the CTX on Antique small gold and silver coins (more depth), but you will cover 4 times more surface with the DEUS, because it's REALLY FAST!!!!

There is a submersible coil solution for the DEUS to fix the Wireless transmission when you put your coil underwater, but it is ONLY for lac and rivier detection.

Trust me, for wet sand, shallow hunting, unfortunately keep your DEUS at home and take a big fat CTX, oldy Excal or.....

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Frogmaster, I agree the Deus is not my choice for shallow saltwater hunting. However, what you say about wet sand has not been my experience with version 3.2 in wet beach mode. As I stated in the OP, my experience parallels that of the video I posted. Andy Sabisch also agrees when answering the question, "Is DEUS suitable for saltwater beaches?"

Andy's reply:

"Yes, DEUS has a wide range of GROUND BALANCE settings and a special signal processing method that enables it to limit most interference generated by salt water.

After selecting BEACH ON in the (GROUND—BEACH ON/OFF) menu, you need to adjust the GROUND BALANCE manually or by pumping in the wet zone concerned in order to cancel out the ground signal.
In this mode (BEACH ON), the GROUND BALANCE settings no longer range from 60 to 90, but from 0 to 30.

Note: In wet zones you can also select the WET BEACH factory program directly, which has pre-configured settings to deal with zones that are saturated with saltwater. But don't forget to adjust the ground balance by pumping in the wet zone concerned in order to cancel out the ground signal.

Note: In wet zones (salt water), it is important to sweep while keeping the coil parallel to the ground, yet not touching it. It is also a better idea to search on flat beaches as irregularities in the ground (wet sand) generate more interference."

If you aren't using version 3.2, I'd recommend you give the Deus another try on wet salt sand. I think you'll be surprised.

Now having said all that, I also agree with you that my Excal II would be my primary choice as it's a far more at home and versatile on the wet beach and in shallow saltwater.

Thanks for the your input...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi colonelDan,

I must admit I didn't took a look to those features in v3.2. I mostly focued on iron discrimination and all metal modes for our inland infested mud in here. I've remained in version 2.2 for a long time like many European detectorist and have just upgraded to 3.2 in december, and successfuly founds some improvment on tiny deep signals for target seperation.

I'll ask to my inland teamate, he is one of the beta user and test reporter of XP METAL and regulary hunts with A. LOUBET. On the other hand, I can only test on the med sea coast which has almost no tides, so seawater and black sand are just 12-17" under your foot.... Detectorists on the Atlantic coast use mainly PI like White's TDI, Eric Fosters and a local high tech producer of revolutionary Pulse Induction products: MANTA DETECTORS : MANTA METAL DETECTORS | PULSE INDUCTION HIGH SENSITIVITY. They are working on the V4 version with an AQUAMANTA special edition, on which I'm working for the Scuba test and development. Delay (Playback start point) –> 8,8µs

The "Unofficial" speaker of DEUS in here promotes it's DEUS for dry sand on Youtube.... and uses it's sovereign at night time :laughing7:

It's a personal choice but after making thousands of compraison on the beach, especially the med sea with DEUS users (I'm one of the only CTX user in here, the country of DEUS) CTX overperformed the DEUS with the 17" coil if your can avoid to turn on the seawater function, but be sure that XP METAL is working hard to close the gap.

You're going to laught, but I'm never afraid of detecting a few hours on "heavely hammed beach", I'll digg deeper and ALWAYS come with finds that haven't been noticed by DEUS users.

There is a new detector that scares XP METAL in here, it's the Nokta Force CORE serie, I've heared that XP metals ing. are upset about their "similar technology" and "improvements" .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread