Excalibur IIS - Ultimate project -> brainstorming

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
133300excalibur2s2.png

Hi all!

Many of us are/have been users of Minelab Excalibur detectors. Many mods have been created to enhance the way we can detect with those great machines but I haven't found a single place where I could found them...

- Shafts, carbon fiber, short, long, over under, scuba
- Remote PP, with or no light, toggle switch, push button
- Battery enhancement, use of LIPO 4S elements
- Headphone replacement and upgrade, use of Bone Phones
- Coil replacement and connectivity on Excalibur
- Body replacement
- Buttons, knob guard
- Hip mounts
- Power and sensibility enhancements, boosters

Please post pictures of your personal mods or mods you're Fan of!

I know OBN could make this thread live forever :notworthy:

Attachments

• 133300excalibur2s2.png
    133300excalibur2s2.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 0

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's my carbon fiber straight shaft. It's one piece ordered on eBay. The dive shaft slides into it perfectly. You could also use a shorter piece of cf and the regular lower shaft would slide in so it could be broken down much shorter. I liked the long one piece better tho. I've always wanted to find a good ip68 push button switch for remote pp also but haven't seen one anywhere. I think the toggle switch obn uses is the best option I've seen.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422717346.595071.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422717412.081182.jpg

Last edited:

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here's my homemade knob guard. $5 from lowes.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422717645.734260.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422717671.033179.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422717686.388953.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422717703.066321.jpg

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Most of my detecting is diving, What bothered me the most were the headphones moving and not being able to hear over the air exhaled from your reg. I replaced the speakers and wires and did not put the cushions back on, I put 2 pieces of hook sticky valcro . Now when I place my headphones on, the back side of the speaker is against my hood , and the valcro holds them in place. They are much louder.I can also put the cushions on over the valcro with no problems.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 170
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of my detecting is diving, What bothered me the most were the headphones moving and not being able to hear over the air exhaled from your reg. I replaced the speakers and wires and did not put the cushions back on, I put 2 pieces of hook sticky valcro . Now when I place my headphones on, the back side of the speaker is against my hood , and the valcro holds them in place. They are much louder.I can also put the cushions on over the valcro with no problems.

Thanks Jim for your picture.

I only use exca for diving as well (scuba or free air) and I'm currently working with OBN on testing some Bone Phones from JW Fischer or AGA. Those earphones could be placed directly into the DRY/Wet suites to have a better sound comfort. When we use the stock or GG headphones, as you mention they fail from our head each time we dive underwater.
OBN0368.jpg bone-phone-underwater.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And here's my homemade knob guard. $5 from lowes.

First ime I see a knob guard like this one! How did you make it? It looks much better then the standard Anderson one!

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First ime I see a knob guard like this one! How did you make it? It looks much better then the standard Anderson one!

I used a piece of acrylic/ lexan from lowes. I actually just marked the center of it, layed it across my scoop handle and heated it with a heat gun until it formed the curve. I then heated the lower part that joins the shaft and formed it with some pieces of wood. Then I just cut the openings out with dremel tool. My lowes had 2 kinds of the acrylic, the cheaper kind was much easier to form and work with.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, those are some Great Ideas Metal H and Jim in MA..:thumbsup:

I have one I will post in a few days, Need to get video of it in action to show the increase in Power.
I parked the idea on the shelf a few months ago after I had a Coil melt down, need to get it back to the Laboratory...

whhhooooohhahhaa

OBN0357.jpg

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I used a piece of acrylic/ lexan from lowes. I actually just marked the center of it, layed it across my scoop handle and heated it with a heat gun until it formed the curve. I then heated the lower part that joins the shaft and formed it with some pieces of wood. Then I just cut the openings out with dremel tool. My lowes had 2 kinds of the acrylic, the cheaper kind was much easier to form and work with.

Can you please show us "from lowes" what look like this piece of Acrylic / lexan please, and most important the gauge of the used lexan part...

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not true about the excal, you know I'm right but you'll never admit it. I can understand brand loyalty but blind loyalty? All the excal mods were made to solve a known problem that Minelab refuses to address for you. From the after market shaft to solve the out-of-the-box ridiculous balance issue to headphone replacement because everyone knows the stock are crap to the after market knob replacement/ knob guard because the knobs break off, the mods are done to prevent an issue as opposed to enhancing it. There is post after post that can be linked to prove my point but again, you'd still believe otherwise.

:notworthy: Of course you are right, but how many users do really care about it? Most of them buy Excals for a few hunts with their family and friends and "forget it". Same with the CTX, same with the "poor" manufacturing quality of the DEUS etc, etc.... we all know that at the end of the day those firms need to make money to pay their employees and make profits.

This has been said. The aim of this thread is to share what could be done to make excalibur even better based on Power users that we are all on this forum :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one I will post in a few days, Need to get video of it in action to show the increase in Power.
I parked the idea on the shelf a few months ago after I had a Coil melt down, need to get it back to the Laboratory...

There was an old post called "Excalibur on steroid" ......

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing sub-par about the excal at all, owners have just discovered ways to make a great detector even better.... Same way I find ways to make my Mazda MX5 even better with custom mods and the same way I made my 55 Chevy better with custom mods....

That's not true about the excal, you know I'm right but you'll never admit it. I can understand brand loyalty but blind loyalty? All the excal mods were made to solve a known problem that Minelab refuses to address for you. From the after market shaft to solve the out-of-the-box ridiculous balance issue to headphone replacement because everyone knows the stock are crap to the after market knob replacement/ knob guard because the knobs break off, the mods are done to prevent an issue as opposed to enhancing it. There is post after post that can be linked to prove my point but again, you'd still believe otherwise.

:notworthy: Of course you are right, but how many users do really care about it? Most of them buy Excals for a few hunts with their family and friends and "forget it". Same with the CTX, same with the "poor" manufacturing quality of the DEUS etc, etc.... we all know that at the end of the day those firms need to make money to pay their employees and make profits.

This has been said. The aim of this thread is to share what could be done to make excalibur even better based on Power users that we are all on this forum :occasion14:

Hey f-r, my quote you used above was in reply to someone else, please don't use my quotes out of context. I'm sure other folks can speak for themselves. I know the aim of the thread and I voiced my opinion which is related to the aim. Not like I posted pics of a modded car:icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used the excal for several years before adding any mods or making changes. I don't ever admit to believing in things I don't believe in and it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, I have owned Whites, Tesoros, Fisher and Troy.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey f-r, my quote you used above was in reply to someone else, please don't use my quotes out of context. I'm sure other folks can speak for themselves. I know the aim of the thread and I voiced my opinion which is related to the aim. Not like I posted pics of a modded car:icon_scratch:

"I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or to your family and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasurDiggr, his quote of you is from this thread and violates no rules at all, it was not altered and can be quoted..

FM started the thread, if he wants to post picture of his car he can and if Frog wants me to remove my pics I will...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
frogmaster,

Thanks for the chuckles.....lots of neat ideas on this thread about mods I'm not much of a techie guy but I admire those who can think outside the box and make a better mouse trap.

There's a guy I know by the name of Sven who does wonders on various machines also....this thread would be right up his alley.

Regards + HH

Bill

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the excal mods that I've experienced I'd have to say that having the ability to swap coils was the best of the bunch, really added a lot more versatility to the great machine. Second to this would be headphone upgrades. The straight shaft, or the ability to balance the machine, also made using it more pleasurable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread