Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone owning a Excalibur should check there O-rings at least once a year and being it winter, a slow time. Very easy to do yourself and I would bet it cost less then 80.oo for KellyCo to do them and would save you a very costly repair.

Last year I did a few repairs ( NO Longer do them ) And noticed many machines were on there way to needing them and a few were so bad the salt hard started working on the Boards from leaking, 99% of the time it is just the top O-Ring, So I did a video on doing yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing I would high recommend KellyCo...Barry, a very small price to pay for saving your machine.

Check them yourself, if their good silicon grease them, And put the knobs back on, if not send off and save that machine

Video..on how to check and replace if needed, and few examples of how bad it can be in this out of area place where they dryrot.

And the part number if you decide to do yourself...

McMaster Carr McMaster-Carr about 12 dollars shipped for 100

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One thing I think I learned from doing mine (Joe, please comment on this if you will) is the O-ring is the seal, NOT the grease. The grease is for conditioning/lubrication of the O-ring. IF you put on to much grease you will actually create such a good seal when attempting to install the upper O-ring that a slight air pressure differential is created (my hypothesis) in the space under the O-ring and it will pop back out one area of the O-ring...you will chase a bulge on the O-ring as air is trying to escape. Just a light thin coat of grease is all that is needed. Another suggestion is after installation is complete, work each knob back and forth a few times (carefully don't over range the pot) then pull the knob to ensure the O-ring is still in place.....I have had a few that I thought were seated properly work loose after a few turns of the knob.
As Joe says, it is an easy job to do (especially if it is only the outer O-ring) and well worth the effort with the cost of the machines now!

Cliff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good video OBN.... Barry and Dave replaced mine fall of last year when I had the remote pinpoint mod and amphibian head phones installed...... Barry does good work..

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Really good video OBN.... Barry and Dave replaced mine fall of last year when I had the remote pinpoint mod and amphibian head phones installed...... Barry does good work..

Which remote PP style did you put?

Push, toggle, latching?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which remote PP style did you put?

Push, toggle, latching?
Rocker...

3634b867c606df30d24a73740b2f6d51.jpg

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a push button:

Press = All Metal
Release = DISC mode

Latching for Push Button:

Press 1 => All metal
Press 2 => DISC MODE

Means you can remain in All Metal mode without having to keep pressing the button

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a rocker switch, press towards controls is discrimination, press towards coil is pinpoint.

b136153d57ff4d14217e832308bead3e.jpg

1627c61c37a1bb0910854604a18dd57c.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt do mod Barry at Kellyco did. I will ask him Monday...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread