Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've added scuba and then later Hookah to my hobby. Finds are scarce out in the deeper water beyond where swimmers go. Now freshwater hunts are more fun as there are lots of targets under swim rafts and water slides. Things are concentrated. It is a change up from just wading while looking at the eye candy. Most of us don't do this thinking of a profit. You want to really waste your money, take up tournament bass fishing with +$20.000 dollar bass boats and looking for sponsors on your free time.:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here on the regular/typical ocean-facing beaches of CA (which is what the O.P. was musing over), is, in my opinion, not worth it. I can't speak for Florida (although I can't imagine why it would be any different analysis). But just saying that after 35+ yrs. of chasing beach erosion storms, and having been in the absolute thickest erosion results, I can not imagine the time & money needed, for the slow cumbersome results.

And even if it can be argued that underwater sand is not as susceptible to movement , (like we are all accustomed to the above water wet-sand zone), it still remains true that sand moves. And at least when you're up on the beach, you can look hither and yonder for the "just right" signs: slopes, cuts, scallops, low spots, etc.... and just walk over. Contrast to the under-sea world, where visibility (to look 100 yards in either/all directions), is NOT the same as standing on land.

Some more "gotchas" that make underwater scuba md'ing not-as-easy as it sounds: The noise. The undersea world is noisy! The bubbles around your face mask, etc.... The Excalibur helped in that regard, because the long beeeeonnnnggg tails ensured you didn't miss them. But trying the CZ20 (with quick fast beeps), was a hassle. I found myself holding my breath JUST so that I wouldn't miss the quick beeps.

If any place has "bath-tub" conditions (fresh-water swim holes, enclosed bays, or .... perhaps Hawaii where 1000's of swimmers are *just* off shore so that it's worth going after "that day's losses", then perhaps that's different. But here in CA, I came to the realization, that I can accomplish the same thing, by simply waiting for a minus 1.5 ft. tide.

And if any of you here in CA have ever gone out in a minus 1.5 ft. tide, and found it completely sterile, then can you imagine the wasted time to have had the SAME results in scuba ? Or let's say that you're finding targets in that neg. 1.5 tide every 10 ft. or so (rather than thick concentrations), then can you imagine the swim & paddle time trying to swim about to those location? Contrast to on land, where you can walk effortless circles, lines, etc.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Postscript: If anyone's ever watched those enticing video clips of the FL treasure wreck scuba md'rs, don't let that fool you into waxing romantic about scuba-to-detect either. Here's why: A lot of those are ONLY after they've used those giant tube fans, to blow all the sea-bottom sand away from a spot that was found with highly specialized means (sonar, blah blah). It's not like scuba divers were just "waltzing about down there", and just "routinely find gold dabloons". And go figure: They're on a wreck. We're not talking "fumble-fingers-swimmers" losses, of a random target here, a random target there, etc....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason, I'm not sure why, but I have dreams of scuba detecting in the French Riviera for medieval coins and relics.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
For some reason, I'm not sure why, but I have dreams of scuba detecting in the French Riviera for medieval coins and relics.

You should see a professional if your having that type of dream. I read it in a dream book once. It means you're a serial killer. You just haven't started yet.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Tom in CA, you seem to know the dilemma of the CA MD'er. Lately the tide HAS been cutting the sand. I'm just waiting for a low tide. We were at a particular so cal beach last week and there were FOUR foot sand walls from where the tide was ripping the coast line. Impossible to get the go wet sand that day as there were no sets. It was constant battery and the pull was fierce... Next week is a -1.7 and I'm hitting it up. You could see where the slope met the parallel at positive 2 ft. A -2 and it's VERY accessible so long as the waves play friendly. Last week it was storm behavior but with blue skies and no wind. No one was allowed or wanted to go in to the water and paramedics/life guards were camped out in parking lots.I saw several blaze past me on the blvd. REALLY weird water action that day. Sharknado-esqe

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone describe the technique they use to detect underwater with snorkel? How do you manage breathing, searching, fanning, and all these things at once?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the guys snorkeling are working those just beyond the end sweep of our coils. By weighting themselves and using the mask and snorkel can get say another swing beyond what us CHIN guys can. Tom's right in that the best use of scuba or even snorkel might be during recent drop periods OR in those same LOW areas during the winter low tides..... at least for us Fl guys.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Lately the tide HAS been cutting the sand. I'm just waiting for a low tide. We were at a particular so cal beach last week and there were FOUR foot sand walls from where the tide was ripping the coast line. .....

Aaahhh, so that recent SW swell that raked CA, DID go further south than Pt. Conception, eh ? I wasn't sure if it was only central CA and northward, versus if you got any taste of that.

And yes: Some cuts were formed (despite the wimpy high tides those days). I saw what *appeared* to be erosion. However, it was still not that productive. You could see in the sides of the cuts seaweed from previous years, indicating to me that it was cutting into sterile sand.

And yes you are also right that in cases like this, sometimes the action starts a few days later, or at the next extreme tide days. I have a theory that the reason for this is, that on the days of the rough surf, there are resultant off-shore voids (that you don't see, d/t they're underwater). And thus mother nature, in the days that follow "readjusts" her slopes. She robs sand from one area, to fill in the off-shore voids, as each day's tides re-shape the beach.

After the 1982-83 storms, for instance, a few lucky guys wised up to this phenomenom: While the of us saw sunny skies, and decreased seas, we put the detectors away thinking "it's over now". However, a few beaches continued to have "moving scallops" and/or coins coming back up on-shore with the incoming sand. So they were getting silver as late as in to June that year.

I'm sure there's a science to figure out exactly when it will happen. Wish I could figure it out! haha

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with Casper. In the water is the place to be!

I live accross the street from an ocean beach. I've detected on the beach twice, got tired of finding bottle caps, clad pocket change and trash. Once I taught myself about longshore drift and undertow I hit the jackpot! Im usually out about 150-200 yards from the beach. The best spot is about a mile from the beach where the sea floor drops to 30' from about 15' I dont get to go that far much. Only when I can get someone with a boat to take me.

Also, after storms I go where the rip currents were. Longshore drifts, undertow and rip currents move a lot of goodies into confined areas.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
It really depends of the sea/ocean. I'm located on the Med sea and we almost have no tides. Detecting shallow with less than 7ft of water, there are many stuff...but you have competition as well! I scuba detect from 7ft to 15-20ft and they are less targets I suppose...but they are all for me :thumbsup:

Scuba detection is "an other world" when you are use to detect your feat on the ground. You can't digg that much, you don't use Pulse Induction...and most important you need to understand and know your beach. Remeber that you "only" have 1h15-1h30 per dive so you need to find the cuts quickly. Organization is an other story: tanks, stab (wing stab) etc....

It's a very very funny way of detecting and can only recommand it!

Concerning your licence, keep in mind that is more difficult to dive between 10ft -> 40ft then diving over 70ft! You need to be very comfortable with you stab and weight. Take your time to "work" win private lesson carefully the low depth dives which are the key of scuba ability.

Also I scuba detect most of the time alone, so you need to "double" the securities even if the depth is less then 40ft.

Good luck!!!

:occasion14:

IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0739.JPG

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

I would like to push some videos of them! I only show sometimes a few pictures.... the problem is that the "underwater" legislation in here is a nightmare... "the less we show, longer we'll stay alive".

They are no that much mediaval coins under the sea, because mediaval period is not a "gold period". We found coin in gold from the BC periods because they where in gold or silver.

If you want to find medieval coins, the land is full of them, take a wineyard, you will find a least 5 medieval coins per hours, romans coins, royal coins...

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I am finding that scuba is an expensive answer. For me though things are different as my scuba will be in all freshwater lakes. It sounds like a totally different world from what you guys are describing. All of my best finds have been nipple to chin deep, the kind where you are on the edge of a drop off on your tippy toes. In my case I think scuba will be a benefit. One thing for sure though is that it adds a whole new level of expenses to the hobby, but hobbies always cost money.

I will be shallow 20' or less and diving by myself most of the time. On advice from others I am buying new and decent equipment just because of diving alone. I will be carrying spare air or a pony tank. I am of course also getting certified by a well respected dive shop. Most of the places I am hunting are only accessible by boat.

I suspect my collection of bottle caps is gonna get bigger!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
scuba is great fun in itself, even without a detector. No doubt the freshwater is a different experience, I have only scuba in the ocean. It IS expensive. I recommend mostly new gear, your life depends on it.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about getting my scuba license and doing some detecting just under the shore line swells. -2.0 low tides are but once every month and a 1/2 or so and I think I could increase my finds if I could get a little farther out... Opinions?

In my opinion, based on experience, that is a bad, very bad idea, unless you are diving protected waters such as in a bay or lagoon,
but you still have to be very careful of strong currents.

The president of our skin diving club in college, drowned when he got slammed by a wave at Pismo beach, in California.
In Hawaii, a very experience detectorist, former Navy Seal in good condition died from a heart of attack after diving for rings while lugging all the heavy
gear back over soft sand to the car.

Theese were two that I personally knew, if you check you local newspaper, archives in library, you most likely see many drowning by being close to shore line swells.

You would be better off with snorkel and face mask as you would have less drag in the water, and no heavy gear that needs to be hauled
around.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Scuba is not a difficult or physical sport. You can have an heart attaéck everywhere, but when it's underwater it is even more complicated.

Concerning the price, a good complete Scuba equipment is around $1600-$2500 (you can spend more if you'de like too, of course). You have to take it as a hobby.

Annual cost:

Tanks verification $40 per tank
Regulator : $30-$40

Cost per dive:

Air Tank (15-18L @ 230Bar) = $5 per tank (but most of the time offered by you local shop/friend/diving center)
Rebreather (semi open circuit for dive <45m) : $5 + $5 per nitrox tank

Without scuba detection, I will only come back with coins and bottle caps.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO - I'm freshwater 95% of the time.

My finds have paid for ALL of my Scuba gear and detecting gear, over and over again.

Once I started Scuba - I rarely hunt land or shallow water (unless it's in scuba gear).

Good Luck and follow your dreams!!!

wraith1821

Dec 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Or train yourself in semi shallow water. Always take a partner and most importantly study equalizing and decompression if you plan to eventually go deep. Learn hand signals to communicate as well. Thats pretty much the jist of it. Certification is good, but can be really expensive if you're not in a scuba heavy area.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been a PADI diver since 1978. I learned to dive in Lake Amistad, Texas. These days I mostly dive in shallow lake waters, and ponds. I also do a fair bit of river hunting under old bridges. I look for small swim areas where I have seen floats, or people swimming from a pier or dock.

I will bandwagon all the comments about being certified. Do it. The education alone is worth the price. If you are a PADI diver, you will be part of a fraternity of divers recognized for excellence around the world. I say do it - get certified - get yourself to the point where you are comfortable with your gear and comfortable in the water with it. You want your natural instincts to flow when you are in times of trouble, and you want everything to work as easily as scratching an itch when you are sleeping. That is what will keep you alive.

I also recommend getting certified before you get a hookah. I also have to make a bold statement that you may be disappointed with the performance of a hookah. They are not built to handle waves. In my honest opinion, a hookah is good for dredging gold and little else... but that's only my opinion. :laughing7:

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got certified at the end of last summer. I have purchased all my own equipment except a water detector. I hope to get a waterproof detector before hot weather and hit some freshwater swimming areas. It's kinda tough here in my area because it's illegal to metal detect in state parks and that's where most of the swimming areas are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions