CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
i treasure dive, its fun but really hard work. 90 percent of my good stuff is from wading. but still dive, have since the early 90s. but my experience is most stuff is lost pretty shallow.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
When standing in the surf (as long as it's not too rough) you have sufficient resistance to dig deep with a good digger. Sand here is 'stiff' as the loose stuff moves easily.

In just over your head, with neutral buoyancy, you have no physical resistance to dig in hard packed sand. You will have to work much harder, for much longer.

If you are not going any deeper, you may want to think about a hooka rig. Still get dive certified, but a hooka rig would serve you much better.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple of friends that did it from the beach and had no luck and they said it was hard.

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
in my town we have one dive shop and the price is really high to get certified like 700$ for classes.i was gonna get a used scuba set from a friend but the shop wouldn't fill the tank unless you have gone and gotten certification.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unless you are going wreck diving, don't waste your money. You will find more by wading.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't need a certification to buy or operate a hooka rig. Smart idea, but not required.

It would be a good idea to get SOME training at the very least.

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 8.45.35 PM.png

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
you know that scuba dude you see in aquariums always standing right next to the treasure chest blowing bubbles, hell yea there's gold down there. go get it. Yarrrrrrrrrrr

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Diving is a relaxing way to detect. You get more visibility and I find recovery easier as well. I am diving in shallow water 4ft, 5ft, 6ft.....Usually snorkeling is fine. If its deeper I do scuba. I use a lot of weight, like 30 lbs. You can check youtube for videos of those diving with detectors.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scuba is fun for me, I like the peacefulness of it all. But fresh water,I think your finds will decrease farther out on a Coastline. Don't know for a fact, worth a shot! I just never wanted to fight the surf.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Seems so adventurous and different than quasi mindless wading in the shallows. On the other hand I know how hard it is to fight digging holes only to have them quickly fill back up and in my areas of beach detecting most finds are a solid large scoop of my T Rex scoop deep. I couldn't wave my hand or using a park type digger to get productive enough to get a target.
I also don't think that the jewelry would even be that far out. I hit Coronado beach in San Diego a few wks back and it was at -2.2 low tide. It was WAYYYY out there. There were about 10 detectorists and there wasn't much in way of finds. I couldnt really imagine scuba'ing around and still having to get 1-1.5 ft down in the thick sand to get anything. Just throwing the idea around to see if anyone detects just past the average tide's wave line and is successful.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When you scuba/snorkel, you aren't using a long sand scoop. You typically fan the surface. Unlike the wet and first drop areas of the beach, your finding things mostly on top. Not always, but that's typical. So its mostly surface finds. You have the ability to see in 3D when under water, unlike those trying to look through above the water, you can see much more detail, so you can see low areas much easier. Its not uncommon to have 20' or more of visibility. Its quiet, its calm. You don't have to go far out. It doesn't make sense to me to be much further out than people go, which is typically 4-5' of water depth.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving is another not so cheap hobby you would be jumping into. Most of my winter finds arent out deep..... especially with all the moved sand. Even during Neg tides there just doesnt seem to be anything out there. NOW.... during recent drop summer it might come in handy going from shore to the sand bar. But during the Winter..... most of my finds arent out there. It seems we are just dealing with targets buried to deep.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeep-gold, I think you're making a mistake, to take up scuba, for the thought/notion of md'ing for casual beach-goer fumble fingers losses. ~20 yrs ago, I too had the same visions of grandeur you are having now. Thinking there's a "magical virgin beach" just out of reach of the poor saps who have to stay in the surf zone and higher, eh ? OH BUT I WISH IT WERE THAT SIMPLE.

You have to realize that in the same exact way that the wet-sand zone of the beach can be totally sterile ( because sand is coming "in", and no storms have eroded lately), SO TOO is the underwater sand world the SAME thing. In other words: the sand at the bottom of the beaches, out beyond the lowest tide marks, is every bit as susceptible as the sand ABOVE the surf line (wet zone of the beach). Thus simply because perhaps no one has ever detected there, does not bode for necessarily good detecting. There are "dunes" and moving sand underwater (probably MORE so) just like there is on the beach above. And if it's sterile, it's sterile !

Yes I went out and found a few coins and a silver earing in 10 ft. of water, but ........ got a quick dose of reality: The underwater time is very expensive, and time-consuming. Ie.: to get a single hour underwater, is much preparation, cost, suiting up, cumbersome, slow, etc... And once you're down there, you're fighting currents that keep you from staying on a spot while you try to dig. And the minute you start digging a target: Clouds of silt you've just disturbed start billowing up, so now you can't see. But you struggle persist, trying to stay on target, going deeper and deeper toward the beep. Finally after 5 frustrating minutes: WALLAAH! a soda can. After an hour, you have 3 coins and an earing.

All of the sudden it dawns on you: I could have done better simply detecting the beach above. Especially just waiting for mother nature to erode, and then you can walk freely around finding the producing zones, without expense, hassle, etc..

The only exceptions I can think of for scuba @ fumble-fingers regular beach swimmer losses, would be: fresh-water swimming holes. Or cove beaches not-susceptible to underwater currents. And preferably, of course, riddled with swimmers in a warm water environment (like under neath dive platforms, etc....). But for the open facing ocean like we have here in CA ? No, sorry.

It's a lot of fun (seeing the fish, etc...), but for md'ing, it's not what you're envisioning it to be.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lot of these guys don't know what they are talking about - check out some of this guys vids
https://www.youtube.com/user/DetectorComparisons
I got a friend that hookahs all the time - you should see the pile of finds - mostly old finds he gets each year
lot of old silver - older gold - out in 10+ feet of water
I have done ok out deep myself and plan on doing more deeper water this year
I get most of my finds at lowest tides and as far as I can go out - (theres more out deeper)
a lot of these spots had dive platforms and raft in deeper water
talk to some older folks that remember them or do some online research - you will find some gold mines

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sand accumulation is not the same out in the water as right at shore. Yes the sand moves, but not to the same extent. Just look at our corral reefs. Do you see them buried under mounds of sand one year and not the other? No. Yet if you go on the beach you will see the beach height rise and fall. If you look at a pier, under water, you will see that the change in elevation of the sand at the end of the pier (looking at the piers columns) is much less than that of the piers columns near the beach.

scuba and snorkel is not a magical recipe. It just opens more area to search, which means more potential finds. I use it to search the same area as I would above water, but I find its easier. Here in South Florida we have SERIOUS currents in the water. But I weigh myself down so I don't move (30 lbs). I typically only go under water if visibility is excellent. I do not use a pinpointer under water, I just fan the sand. Yes it does create a cloud. I carry a small hand scoop and sometimes will just scoop and sift as well. I carry a heavy bright colored object to use as a marker in case I need to surface for air if snorkeling or to sift. This way I don't have to re-acquire my target.

You want to be careful. You should breathe out as you surface. You need to be alert at all times and not get so far into the hunt that you aren't paying attention to things like air, hazards, boaters, sharks, etc. Its not safe to scuba without a partner unless you know what your doing and staying in shallow water. If I scuba I flag myself. If I am snorkeling I am often with the waders and its not necessary and just draws attention.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Jeep-gold, I think you're making a mistake, to take up scuba, for the thought/notion of md'ing for casual beach-goer fumble fingers losses. ~20 yrs ago, I too had the same visions of grandeur you are having now. Thinking there's a "magical virgin beach" just out of reach of the poor saps who have to stay in the surf zone and higher, eh ? OH BUT I WISH IT WERE THAT SIMPLE.

You have to realize that in the same exact way that the wet-sand zone of the beach can be totally sterile ( because sand is coming "in", and no storms have eroded lately), SO TOO is the underwater sand world the SAME thing. In other words: the sand at the bottom of the beaches, out beyond the lowest tide marks, is every bit as susceptible as the sand ABOVE the surf line (wet zone of the beach). Thus simply because perhaps no one has ever detected there, does not bode for necessarily good detecting. There are "dunes" and moving sand underwater (probably MORE so) just like there is on the beach above. And if it's sterile, it's sterile !

Yes I went out and found a few coins and a silver earing in 10 ft. of water, but ........ got a quick dose of reality: The underwater time is very expensive, and time-consuming. Ie.: to get a single hour underwater, is much preparation, cost, suiting up, cumbersome, slow, etc... And once you're down there, you're fighting currents that keep you from staying on a spot while you try to dig. And the minute you start digging a target: Clouds of silt you've just disturbed start billowing up, so now you can't see. But you struggle persist, trying to stay on target, going deeper and deeper toward the beep. Finally after 5 frustrating minutes: WALLAAH! a soda can. After an hour, you have 3 coins and an earing.

All of the sudden it dawns on you: I could have done better simply detecting the beach above. Especially just waiting for mother nature to erode, and then you can walk freely around finding the producing zones, without expense, hassle, etc..

The only exceptions I can think of for scuba @ fumble-fingers regular beach swimmer losses, would be: fresh-water swimming holes. Or cove beaches not-susceptible to underwater currents. And preferably, of course, riddled with swimmers in a warm water environment (like under neath dive platforms, etc....). But for the open facing ocean like we have here in CA ? No, sorry.

It's a lot of fun (seeing the fish, etc...), but for md'ing, it's not what you're envisioning it to be.

You probably couldn't of said it better. I can completely understand everything your saying. It was just a thought. It's bad enough that I pay gas money to get where I need to detect and sometimes meter and lot parking (baz tards) just to come up with 1.00 in change for 6 hrs of detecting. I very much know that it isn't a glamorous ring on every outing. At least it certainly hasnt been for me. I've spent the past 4 wks ( 15 hrs per week) detecting San Diego and some of Laguna and I havent found anything other than coins. It's actually starting to get to me.
I mixed it up and went to a field park 2 days ago and found a sterling silver ring. Not a prize per se but better than a zinc penny at the beach.
I'm going to detect next monday and tues of next week ( -1.8 low tide). If I get skunked again I'm putting the beach detector down for a few months. Seems Cali beaches are simply sterile at the moment.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should look into ALL the costs of scuba. The cost of getting certified is nothing. Buying mask, fins, snorkle, a regulator set, wetsuits, tanks, costs of tank fills, yearly tank inspections, yearly regulator servicing.....

Then you have to work out where you're going to gear up, carrying gear.... it can be a PIA not having a dedicated scuba entry spot.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably couldn't of said it better. I can completely understand everything your saying. It was just a thought. It's bad enough that I pay gas money to get where I need to detect and sometimes meter and lot parking (baz tards) just to come up with 1.00 in change for 6 hrs of detecting. I very much know that it isn't a glamorous ring on every outing. At least it certainly hasnt been for me. I've spent the
past 4 wks ( 15 hrs per week) detecting San Diego and some of Laguna and I havent found anything other than coins. It's actually starting to get to me.
I mixed it up and went to a field park 2 days ago and found a sterling silver ring. Not a prize per se but better than a zinc penny at the beach.
I'm going to detect next monday and tues of next week ( -1.8 low tide). If I get skunked again I'm putting the beach detector down for a few months. Seems Cali beaches are simply sterile at the moment.

Welcome to beach detecting! I've spent the last 3 years feeling like you do on most outings. Sometimes a few pieces of clad are all you come home with no matter how and where you look.

I agree with Tom and Casper depending on what type of site you are hunting. In certain places, especially freshwater, going deeper may be productive. In others, as Tom pointed out, probably not. I tried hunting out deeper on the NE coast of FL when the wet sand seemed sterile, only to find it was TOTALLY sterile in neck deep water! Going for 2-3 with one dime and a zipper to show for it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread