41 Minutes

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Friday, the 13[SUP]th[/SUP], I lived a lifetime in just 41 minutes. I was visiting my son for the winter, a certified EMT, when the widow maker came calling. I felt it coming on, told him to call 911, and 41 minutes later I had been transported by helicopter to St. Vincent's Heart Center where I now await a multiple bypass procedure. That 41 minutes was the most incredible 41 minutes I ever lived, or didn't, depending on how you look at it.

I mean, think about this; my left artery was 100% blocked, my right artery was 89% blocked, and for 41 minutes they kept me alive while transporting me 100 miles away so they could put a life saving stint in me. Pretty darn incredible, all this in just 41 minutes. I've waited on fast food longer then that.

And yet, as incredible as it all was the truth is that none of it had to happen. You see, the widow maker doesn't care if you eat right, doesn't care if you exercise and stay active. These things can help, for sure, but in my case the infliction was hereditary and there was no preventing it. However, just some very basic screening could have prevented all the recent drama. Folks, I felt great, had no symptoms, and yet it nearly killed me.

If you're over 40 get screened. It's fast, easy, cheap, and if caught in time you can be saved all the fright, agony and drama that comes with dying, or the struggling to stay alive, depending on how you look at it. Going to be a while before I'll be back out in the field or on the beach again. I was one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that had to be scary. Hoping you mend quickly!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bigscoop!! Glad YOU dogged the Bullet and Hope YOU many more years!! I have taken care of many folks with the same history!! Genetics are very difficult to compensate, but sounds as if you fortunately will do well!! Wishing You the Best of Health!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're doing better! I try to avoid doctors as much as possible as they don't call it "practicing medicine' without a reason. So, different strokes for different folks, hope you enjoy your mountain trip in June! Cheers!!

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Scary stuff. This place wouldn't be the same without you.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my chopper ride back in may 99% blocked had no idea tried to pass it off for 3 hours before the pain sent me into the hospital....get some rest you will be tired for awhile ...took me a couple months to get back to normal and im only 37....good luck god speed

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hope you heal up and can get back into things soon. Take care of yourself

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im one of those who dont like to see the Dr either. My son, his wife, and a brother and sister are all nurses.... but they live 700 miles away. At 62 i do a lot of detecting and still try to get in a run a day. Have never smoked and rarely drink.....but most of the time blood pressure and cholesterol is always boarder line so i dont take any medication at all. No guarantees for another day. You were lucky, at least you recognized and reacted in time. Get well and enjoy ever days blessings.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This place is great....has an entire harem of nurses. All you have to do is push that little call button and they come running. (Of course, the food sucks.) I go under Friday, looks like 4 to 5 bypasses.

I gotta tell ya, I'm using this as an opportunity to set new goals and new outlooks. Have a few new toys already in mind.....:laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay strong Big Scoop.. Treasure awaits...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My blood pressure usually ran 120/60-70, was pretty close to that when I had my heart attack. The big difference was my pulse, down from 70 to 47, "Blood pressure was still good." So you can have good blood pressure readings and still be at high risk for a heart attack. So don't be fooled into thinking that exercise and diet will keep you safe. A lot of times blood pressure readings won't see a noticeable change until after the problem has already begun. I was checking mine right up to my heart attack and it showed no signs of a problem, blood pressure was good, but the pulse rate did show signs as it was displaying signs of tachycardia. This would go away when I sat down, but return when I stood up.....that's when I knew I was in trouble.....went up stairs and told my son, two minutes later I was in a full blown heart attack with a pulse that had dropped to 13.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get better soon... take care.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heal well and quickly Scoop.
Snowshoveling might be part of rehab, no don't try it!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a new April goal/adventure now, sort of a post surgery break-in adventure. Up for suggestions if anyone has a good one. Something not too testing but worth the trip?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a new April goal/adventure now, sort of a post surgery break-in adventure. Up for suggestions if anyone has a good one. Something not too testing but worth the trip?
Making it to May....[emoji106]. Take care of yourself My friend..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Maybe hit some local museums and see how far back they go in local history.
The Chicago museum of science and industry ,if you have not hit it lately may have some new displays.
Risk of catching colds and flu this time of year must be weighed and prevention's taken...not licking door handles,washing hands, no kissing strangers ect.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My blood pressure usually ran 120/60-70, was pretty close to that when I had my heart attack. The big difference was my pulse, down from 70 to 47, "Blood pressure was still good." So you can have good blood pressure readings and still be at high risk for a heart attack. So don't be fooled into thinking that exercise and diet will keep you safe. A lot of times blood pressure readings won't see a noticeable change until after the problem has already begun. I was checking mine right up to my heart attack and it showed no signs of a problem, blood pressure was good, but the pulse rate did show signs as it was displaying signs of tachycardia. This would go away when I sat down, but return when I stood up.....that's when I knew I was in trouble.....went up stairs and told my son, two minutes later I was in a full blown heart attack with a pulse that had dropped to 13.

Well paint me stupid I read this earlier and now just dawned me, might be helpful for you to get a heart monitor to measure your pulse rate. The heart monitors are not expensive used by athletes for training.

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you made it and thanks for sharing. Your story may save lives and I hope we both have lots of Diggin' in left. God Bess:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread