41 Minutes

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Friday, the 13[SUP]th[/SUP], I lived a lifetime in just 41 minutes. I was visiting my son for the winter, a certified EMT, when the widow maker came calling. I felt it coming on, told him to call 911, and 41 minutes later I had been transported by helicopter to St. Vincent's Heart Center where I now await a multiple bypass procedure. That 41 minutes was the most incredible 41 minutes I ever lived, or didn't, depending on how you look at it.

I mean, think about this; my left artery was 100% blocked, my right artery was 89% blocked, and for 41 minutes they kept me alive while transporting me 100 miles away so they could put a life saving stint in me. Pretty darn incredible, all this in just 41 minutes. I've waited on fast food longer then that.

And yet, as incredible as it all was the truth is that none of it had to happen. You see, the widow maker doesn't care if you eat right, doesn't care if you exercise and stay active. These things can help, for sure, but in my case the infliction was hereditary and there was no preventing it. However, just some very basic screening could have prevented all the recent drama. Folks, I felt great, had no symptoms, and yet it nearly killed me.

If you're over 40 get screened. It's fast, easy, cheap, and if caught in time you can be saved all the fright, agony and drama that comes with dying, or the struggling to stay alive, depending on how you look at it. Going to be a while before I'll be back out in the field or on the beach again. I was one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My blood pressure usually ran 120/60-70, was pretty close to that when I had my heart attack. The big difference was my pulse, down from 70 to 47, "Blood pressure was still good." So you can have good blood pressure readings and still be at high risk for a heart attack. So don't be fooled into thinking that exercise and diet will keep you safe. A lot of times blood pressure readings won't see a noticeable change until after the problem has already begun. I was checking mine right up to my heart attack and it showed no signs of a problem, blood pressure was good, but the pulse rate did show signs as it was displaying signs of tachycardia. This would go away when I sat down, but return when I stood up.....that's when I knew I was in trouble.....went up stairs and told my son, two minutes later I was in a full blown heart attack with a pulse that had dropped to 13.

No doubt, it pays, to pay attention to details and have a working knowledge of potential problems.... good time for me to research the subject more so I may be so lucky some day...

Get better so you can get back out there!

Cliff

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get well I was looking forward to meeting u and doing some detecting one day I hope everything works out I will be praying for u and I hope your recovery goes well

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really glad that you are ok scoop. How scary that was huh???!!! Dang...you just never know. But see, it was not your time...you have soooooooo many stories to write and advice to write and give us for good entertainment. Lots and lots I can imagine. We love 'em :notworthy: Hugs to you my friend

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wishing you the best in your recovery! Thanks for sharing that info

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad you made it and are feeling better! I hope the rest of 2015 brings you much joy and happiness!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery. Thank you for posting. Gods Speed!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
What an experience. You never know when your body will give you a hard time. Looks like you were well taken care of. Good luck with your recovery, I bet you will be back on the beach before you know it. Hope all goes well. hh gl -Joe

Last Friday, the 13[SUP]th[/SUP], I lived a lifetime in just 41 minutes. I was visiting my son for the winter, a certified EMT, when the widow maker came calling. I felt it coming on, told him to call 911, and 41 minutes later I had been transported by helicopter to St. Vincent's Heart Center where I now await a multiple bypass procedure. That 41 minutes was the most incredible 41 minutes I ever lived, or didn't, depending on how you look at it.

I mean, think about this; my left artery was 100% blocked, my right artery was 89% blocked, and for 41 minutes they kept me alive while transporting me 100 miles away so they could put a life saving stint in me. Pretty darn incredible, all this in just 41 minutes. I've waited on fast food longer then that.

And yet, as incredible as it all was the truth is that none of it had to happen. You see, the widow maker doesn't care if you eat right, doesn't care if you exercise and stay active. These things can help, for sure, but in my case the infliction was hereditary and there was no preventing it. However, just some very basic screening could have prevented all the recent drama. Folks, I felt great, had no symptoms, and yet it nearly killed me.

If you're over 40 get screened. It's fast, easy, cheap, and if caught in time you can be saved all the fright, agony and drama that comes with dying, or the struggling to stay alive, depending on how you look at it. Going to be a while before I'll be back out in the field or on the beach again. I was one of the lucky ones.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same happened to me almost 1 year ago on march 3rd. I had stopped next to our local hospital to have blood work done. After having blood drawn, I walked out to my truck and started feeling light headed. After sitting in the truck, my vision started to blur. At this point I thought I better go back in and get someone to take a look at me. I remember opening the truck door, but nothing after that, until I woke up on the ground with my foot still in the truck. I don't know how long I lie there, But it was 17 degrees out, maybe thats what woke me. I managed to walk back in the building and collapsed in a chair. I don't recall much until I was in the emergency room and they told me I was having a heart attack. I was airlifted to Ft. Wayne, where they put in a stint. and saved my life. I wish I could say all is well now, but that same day they told my I had H-pylori bacteria in my stomach. Since then I've develouped cronic fatigue syndrum, and awaiting an appointment at mayo clinic in MN, hoping someone can treat this illness. Since thanksgiving, I've spent my days laying down, some days only the strength to walk to the bathroom and back. It's like having the flu 7 days a week and it never goes away. I can't help but think that heart attack was suppose to have killed me. I am a lucky man, as I have a great wife who has taken good care of me, but it has been hard on her. The heart problems is a heireditary thing in my family as well, so I kinda figured I would check out early. So make the best of the days your given. Hope you get back out there Bigscoop. Kevin

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you pulled thru, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think next year is going to be a special treasure hunting year. :thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your on the mend and doing good! They say timing is everything, yours was impeccable !

Hubby has had 3 and recovered well after each one. I still say stress is a big factor in heart and other health issues.
I had an odd ECG Dr. sent me in for the entire range of heart tests, they all came back fine. The cardiologist was scratching his head on that one.

When you find that chest of gold let someone else carry to your car for you!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little event has really tossed the screws into next year's gears.....going to have to reevaluate everything all over again and start drawing up new plans.

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes to you for a Full Recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread