41 Minutes

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Friday, the 13[SUP]th[/SUP], I lived a lifetime in just 41 minutes. I was visiting my son for the winter, a certified EMT, when the widow maker came calling. I felt it coming on, told him to call 911, and 41 minutes later I had been transported by helicopter to St. Vincent's Heart Center where I now await a multiple bypass procedure. That 41 minutes was the most incredible 41 minutes I ever lived, or didn't, depending on how you look at it.

I mean, think about this; my left artery was 100% blocked, my right artery was 89% blocked, and for 41 minutes they kept me alive while transporting me 100 miles away so they could put a life saving stint in me. Pretty darn incredible, all this in just 41 minutes. I've waited on fast food longer then that.

And yet, as incredible as it all was the truth is that none of it had to happen. You see, the widow maker doesn't care if you eat right, doesn't care if you exercise and stay active. These things can help, for sure, but in my case the infliction was hereditary and there was no preventing it. However, just some very basic screening could have prevented all the recent drama. Folks, I felt great, had no symptoms, and yet it nearly killed me.

If you're over 40 get screened. It's fast, easy, cheap, and if caught in time you can be saved all the fright, agony and drama that comes with dying, or the struggling to stay alive, depending on how you look at it. Going to be a while before I'll be back out in the field or on the beach again. I was one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your okay Brad, take it easy and rest up...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay with us a long time buddy.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Your the story big scoop. And its not ending anytime soon. Thanks for the advise. get well scoop

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Valentines Day' was three years since I had the Widow Maker. Had two stents put in, take alot of medicine and spend time on the tread mill every day. Cardioligist said to walk, and get some exercise, every day.................so I bought a metal detector, three years ago.. Life is good, I feel great, plus got a new hobby, Good Luck bigscoop, wishing you all the good fortune I had with this, and we both know we were given a second chance, and how lucky we are!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AMAZING indeed! I just was not your time. You must have a lot of good things to do. Thanks for the advice. Have a quick recovery and mend well...the BIG FIND will wait for you.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the best place possible right now, it's all they do. So I know I'm going to come out of this stronger and better. I'm just passing the word along that you can get screened and possibly save yourself all of this trouble. :thumbsup:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Glad to hear it worked out well for you bs. EMT's like your Son and Paramedics like mine are nice to have in the family.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that...glad your doing good...rest up buddy.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes, to improve the outcome when the time is right cardio rehab, I was advised that low intensity and long duration is the ticket.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes, to improve the outcome when the time is right cardio rehab, I was advised that low intensity and long duration is the ticket.

I've already told the cardio folks that I have to be in the mountains by at least the first of June, if not sooner. :thumbsup:

trashman

Jun 6, 2014
edgewater
Detector(s) used
bountyhunter trk4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you get well soon,im going to take your adviseon getting screened. i have always learned from your posts, look forward to someday meeting you on nsb beachs.take care and mend well.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, I had a heart 10 years ago at 40, the only true way to see if you are not clogged up is to have an angiogram, if heart disease runs in someone's family it would benefit them to seriously stay on top of it. I'm glad you caught it and are doing good. Good luck!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know how old you are scoop, but my wife had a triple bypass there a couple years ago. That's one good hospital.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
need me to come down to keep the nurses off ya?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread