Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Florida beach metal detector finds from Jan – Feb 2015, totaling 105 hours of metal detecting, included 32 pieces of jewelry including 4 gold pieces (white gold and red stone ring, large Gent’s wedding ring, toe ring, crucifix), 6 silver rings including a Pandora ring with cubic zirconium stones, nice silver ring with crescent moons and stars with red stone, nice open cut silver ring with 6 missing stones, silver dolphin toe ring and a black Triton men’s wedding ring. Coins totaled 769 pieces (132 - .25s, 176 - .10s, 79 - .05s, 375 0- .01s and 7 foreign. Note: 3 foreign coins are not shown and were returned to owner's family from a pilot who died in plane crash on New Smyrna Beach, and 37 quarters missing from pile; had to do laundry). Finds also included over 7 lbs of sinkers. Metal detector is a Minelab Excalibur II.
I always say if you find sinkers and nickels you’ll find gold. Discussions with fellow Metal Detectorists on the beach suggest that one finds a gold piece for every 200 – 250 coins. Comments?

Jan Feb 2015 Finds.jpg

Upvote 0

AgeofDiscovery

Jan 18, 2015
Williams, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's not bad! I'm heading down to Florida for about a week to get away from school and to visit family. I am looking forward to getting back out there!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Very nice. That's a lot of beach time.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunting...congrats on the gold and silver...I just figured up how many days I hunt to get a gold ring and the number of coins I get between finding gold...your right, I probably get about 200 coins for every gold...I never thought about it before...Are you saying you found some coins from a plane crash site on the beach?

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes, during my beach searches, found 3 Japanese coins from a recent plane crash on New Smyrna beach at Flagler Park, also found the pilot's license that washed ashore about 1/4 mile down the beach. The pilot, who was from Japan was killed in the crash. Sent all the material to the Japanese consulate in Miami to be returned to family. I did receive a nice thank-you letter from the consulate.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, during my beach searches, found 3 Japanese coins from a recent plane crash on New Smyrna beach at Flagler Park, also found the pilot's license that washed ashore about 1/4 mile down the beach. The pilot, who was from Japan was killed in the crash. Sent all the material to the Japanese consulate in Miami to be returned to family. I did receive a nice thank-you letter from the consulate.
Very thoughtful of you, good job.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See what you get when you put your time in? MUCHO DINARO'S. Exceptional move on returning the items. I'm sure that brought closer.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...nice that you recovered that stuff and got it back to the family.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work. Think I've put in almost that many hours in Ormond and Daytona area. Definitely not doing as well compared to this time last year. Keep hoping for a good storm.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see.... assume those 200 coins are closely divided.... 50 quarters, 50 dimes, 50 nickels, and 50 pennies. Which in real life those nickels would likely be half that and more likely be pennies. Thats what about $20.50 per gold..... id say who ever said that is doing some sand hunting or is getting more coins than me IN the water. If i did the math right, figuring my years dollar amount for banked coins.... my finds would be a tad over half that per gold.... or close to $12 per gold. Ive heard the figures dry sand hunting there is 100 bad targets for every good targets and 25 bad targets to every good one in the water. How do you guys come out? Nice finds by the way.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Nice work. Think I've put in almost that many hours in Ormond and Daytona area. Definitely not doing as well compared to this time last year. Keep hoping for a good storm.

My clad count is up 166% YTD over last year after 11 hunts. This year I have only hunted wet sand as opposed to dry and wet last year. For whatever it's worth.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all so weather/erosion dependent I don't really think you can do the math, not even roughly. Some years can be tremendously better then others just due to better conditions.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes very good point about weather history and such affecting good finds. But it averages out over the long hull. Nevertheless, I find it of value to think of going through all those coins to find a gold piece. My coins : gold ratio ranges from 75 - 360 coins per gold piece and averages around 250...and when I find, say, a gold necklace with a gold pendent I count them as double. I get antsy when my coin count surpasses 300 and still no gold... Just establishing the rules for us compulsive types. Minelab Excalibur II.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Based on my coin count (769) and converted to dollars, each "coin" averages .0775 cents or 200 coins would be valued at $15.50/gold vs your estimate of $12/gold...getting closer.
As for hunting sand vs water/surf and bad : good target ratios, I ignore ferrous targets so my ratios are a lot smaller; as an estimate, I'd say 7-10 bad targets : 1 good target (e.g., coin) on sand. In the water/surf; 1-2 bad targets : 1 good target. That's me and my Minelab Excalibur II along the east coast of Florida (from Jacksonville to Ft Pierce) and west coast of Florida from Treasure Island to Howard Park beach during the winter months.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting a figure on the ratio is like wearing your lucky underwear i guess..... keep hope alive brother lol.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I think you did good so far, good job on the finds. As for the ratios on good finds per clad count, you results may vary......... :-)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions