Feb 18, 2015
Zihuatanejo
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I recently got a Tesoro Sand Shark and it just seems that it’s either uncalibrated or damaged. If the detector is very still it works as intended in VCO or Normal modes. But if I pick it up, it just goes crazy and beeps non stop even with very gentle moves.

I have followed the instructions on the manual but it seems that whatever I try it doesn’t stop going very loud and non stop beeping. Even with threshold down to min and Pulse width at preset or min, it goes off at any movement. I’ve tried indoors, outdoors away from any metal surfaces, even in water. I wear no jewellery either. I don’t see a reason for this erratic beeping. From my most recent tests I think it might be the coil. Is it a possibility, can I change it?

I know its not normal, so what could this be?

Thank you!

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Clean and check all connections. I had a very small crack in the cable leading into the box, just above the metal connector. It drove me crazy for a while, until I got it fixed.

Is this a new or used machine?

Is your coil cable secured on the shaft or is it allowed to flop around?

The only slack you should have in the coil cable is just enough to allow the coil to move freely on the end of the shaft. Otherwise it should be nice and snug along the shaft.

Can you post a picture of it before you adjust the coil cable? Take a close look at the connection where it enters the coil.

Made sure you don't have anything loose, like a broken battery clip part rattling around inside the circuit board housing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
call your dealer and explain the problem. If he can't or won't help call Tesoro and be prepared to send them the machine.

wecandigit

Feb 8, 2011
Ditto on calling your dealer first. There's little you can do yourself to "fix" it. You may have a leaking coil. Call Tesoro & describe the symptoms. If you are the original owner, this MAY be a warranty issue. Your SS will fit into the biggest priority mail shipping box and cost a little over $16.00 to send plus insurance costs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread