Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Today I caught the end of low tide and decided to hit Jensen Beach even though it was a balmy 55 degrees. Burr!!! Normally I would not post something like this but I hope the person who did it reads this post. There were some fantastic cuts on the beach today. I was hitting the cuts. There were several others with detectors there as well. I must have found at least 40 holes on the beach that were never filled in. Here is the best part. The person who left them also took their trash... pull tabs, bobby pins, and other non value items and threw them down for others to dectect. I don't know how many holes had trash next to it on the top of the sand that I hit on. I did the person a favor and picked up his or her trash. This is a great hobby, in fact it is the best hobby I have ever had. We all love this hobby and I would love to encourage the hole and trash leavers to pick up the trash and fill the holes. Believe it or not each of us represent the other in this hobby and we don't want others to think bad about us. Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salting a beach is worse offense than hunting around a cemetery in my eyes. I read how you felt about hunting around cemeteries. I feel 10x more pissed about someone doing what you just advised!

Last edited:
OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Take a look at this douches videos ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_BjPF8ARn0YXgSucWXXZ2g

Clearly see the panty waste leaving holes, himself, and the trash.

Check out this guys other video. He not only leaves the hole on Clearwater beach but he takes the trash an places it on a patio deck and leaves it. I posted on his youtube channel. That is really incredible. The first hole he dug and left was huge.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Got any steel rods in ya?" Lol

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OBN has the right idea. Video and take stills of these morons, or in many cases, criminals. Once you dig it(including trash), its yours imo and every beach I have been on has laws against littering. We should all start posting pics/vids of these folks and their actions all over the internet with documenting evidence (time, location, etc). We should also send copies to the local clubs so that the honorable ones can also apply pressure. However, we should NOT send this stuff to the goobermint- that would most likely result in complete bannings. Goobermint LOVES to take away the rights of everyone because of the actions of a rogue few.

Last year, I was preparing to hunt a park and eating lunch in my truck when I saw a guy detecting an Extremely well kept city baseball field that is normally locked. No biggie, but he was using a full sized shovel to dig his holes. And I mean this field was Manicured. I whipped out my cell phone camera cause I could just see someone calling the cops on the guy, him leaving, and the cops showing up and jumping my stuff. Self defense video, so to speak.
I did talk to the guy, but he was so old that I couldn't figure out a way to gently correct him. He thought he was doing fine.

Your true character is shown in what you do when you think no one is watching.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
The best we, ethical metal detectorists, can do is to fill-in our own holes and let these hole diggers who do not fill-in their holes know that their lack of effort is not acceptable and that they're hurting the hobby. If you look around the country and examine all the legislation banning metal detecting, the underlying reasons often involve damage to public property, often city and state parks. All it takes is one jogger or beach walker to fall because of an unfilled hole and if they ***** enough to the right people - BAMB -legislation at the local, city, or state level banning metal detecting and we're out-of-business. Please fill your holes, even if the tide is coming in. Let others know that their laziness is simply not acceptable. Self regulation is always better than legislation!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Seeding a site is just as bad if not worse then not filling holes and leaving trash. Don't ever suggest to seed a site, or do so for yourself. It ruins it for all, including you. I believe it should be outside posting guidelines. Sure, it would be nice to teach some one a lesson, but there is a better way. You could post in his youtube account to start. Seeding a site is something 10 year olds do that don't know any better. -Joe

If you know the guy is routinely out there go have some fun and take copper BBs and sprinkle them in an area and let him go nuts trying to dig them up as they go through his scoop. Ppl like that don't learn until they've run into trouble and even then it may take a couple times for it to sink in.

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to clean up and fill in the holes. I have done the same on more than one occassion. Very frustrating

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live across the street from the beach in the Daytona Beach area. It just kills me when all those weekend and summertime beach goers leave holes and sandcastles all over the beach. You would think they'd fill their holes huh. I we can all clearly see the point of throwing trash away and filling holes in at parks,baseball fields,and such. But I never really understood filling holes back in at the beach. After all either they fill back in on their own or magically the next day their gone! I'm sure this will ruffle all your guys feathers but I see no point in filling holes back in at the beach in the sand. Everywhere else YES. And if your so inclined to take the money and jewlery feel inclined to take the trash.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I live across the street from the beach in the Daytona Beach area. It just kills me when all those weekend and summertime beach goers leave holes and sandcastles all over the beach. You would think they'd fill their holes huh. I we can all clearly see the point of throwing trash away and filling holes in at parks,baseball fields,and such. But I never really understood filling holes back in at the beach. After all either they fill back in on their own or magically the next day their gone! I'm sure this will ruffle all your guys feathers but I see no point in filling holes back in at the beach in the sand. Everywhere else YES. And if your so inclined to take the money and jewlery feel inclined to take the trash.

I won't get drug into negative comments. Leaving open holes opens the door to someone getting hurt and our hobby getting a bad name. It takes a few seconds to fill the hole and its worth the extra effort. Just because beach goers leave holes doesn't make it right. I do respect your comments and you have the right to your beliefs. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I have seen this done by tourists who don't plan to go back and hunt the beach again. If they're throwing bobby pins back on the beach they are probably using a PI or don't know how to set up a VLF. lol When I see it done, I just pick up their trash and throw it in the can 30' away. At least they did not rebury the trash like I have also seen. Enjoy the cuts, I haven't seen one of those in years...... HH
PS: We had an incident here locally last year where a police officer walking the beach in the late evening, after dark, before the high tide had come in to fill in the holes. He stepped in a hole left by someone, don't know if it was a kid digging in the sand or a treasure hunter. He sprained his ankle and there was quite a write-up in the paper and consideration of ticketing people for digging holes on the beach and not filling them in. The ruckus died down after a while, I guess they did not want to scare the tourists off, but it is certainly a real hazard to leave open holes on the beach and it certainly draws unwanted negative attention to what we do for fun.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread