Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Today I caught the end of low tide and decided to hit Jensen Beach even though it was a balmy 55 degrees. Burr!!! Normally I would not post something like this but I hope the person who did it reads this post. There were some fantastic cuts on the beach today. I was hitting the cuts. There were several others with detectors there as well. I must have found at least 40 holes on the beach that were never filled in. Here is the best part. The person who left them also took their trash... pull tabs, bobby pins, and other non value items and threw them down for others to dectect. I don't know how many holes had trash next to it on the top of the sand that I hit on. I did the person a favor and picked up his or her trash. This is a great hobby, in fact it is the best hobby I have ever had. We all love this hobby and I would love to encourage the hole and trash leavers to pick up the trash and fill the holes. Believe it or not each of us represent the other in this hobby and we don't want others to think bad about us. Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope someone nails his :censored:

I came across the same a few years ago, I did catch him a while later that day as he was coming back thru..turned out to be a local from one of the detecting clubs.. lesson learned for me, take cam all the time..Pictures are worth a thousand words..

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are slobs in our hobby. The people leaving the holes and trash behind are more than likely a newbie, but it is worse if it is someone that has been in the hobby awhile as they know they are damaging the hobby. These hunters should be exposed for all to see. machine-gun.gif

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I did not see them and did not have my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not only the beach! I've confront a few people doing the same thing at local parks and farm fields. If you dig a plug, replace the plug and take your trash with you!

Howard

Mar 22, 2012
Cape Coral, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Excal. II, Whites PI Surf Master & Fisher CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Just another nobody that does not care for the hobby and makes it look bad for the rest of us! I once seen this happen and told the guy to fill in the holes, guess he could tell I was serious and filled in the holes! I guess I am worried that guy like that might eventually ban metal detectors from the beaches!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Where I grew up we call these types....................................JAGOFFS!!!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Doesn't make sense to leave trash on a beach if your local or if its one you're regularly hunt. Laziness

Rob071

Greenie
Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get the same in Australia,guys just skimming for 1 and 2 dollar coins and leaving everything else behind...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the north end of Jensen Beach yesterday

ForumRunner_20150220_070204.png

ForumRunner_20150220_070225.png

I've watched a blond haired guy in his thirties do exactly what you're talking about in that same area

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator... I see no holes ?
What were you there doing ?
sunbathing lol ? :)

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yall are making me foam at the mouth!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I grew up we call these types....................................JAGOFFS!!!
Can't say what I call them, being a kid friendly forum and all. I will say, the type of people that do this are the same ones that have no problem tossing their McDonald's bag out the window, while driving down the road. Scum of the earth, to say the least. Laziness plays no part. I'm lazy, I don't do it.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the same here on the west coast. There are a group of old timers that never fill there holes. They all use the smaller hand scoops and leave trash so easy to spot. When I hit a beach later than them as I have a job so can't get down all the time like them, I see these holes and know the trash will be there. Even junk jewelry is tossed to the side. Even in dry sand I have seen the one idiot leave 2-3ft holes. He won't even wait till sunset when people leave the beach. Will dig huge holes right next to a person's towel. I confront him all the time but he doesn't care. Even brags if he sees gold fall off a person so he can go get it. He will never help people or return what he finds. Then all he does is hoard the gold in a jar. Guess when he is dead some family member may get something out of it. I have spent many hours just cleaning up after these jerks. Had a few lifeguards say thanks to me at least. And plenty of beach goers thank me for picking up trash. Always baffled how idiots can just toss a fish hook or knife back on the ground just a few feet away from a kid playing. There are some good detector guys that hang out with this idiot (nicknamed by locals now as trashy jackhole). I hope they stay good and don't turn to the darkside.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am of the opinion that these type of people do not belong to clubs or frequent any forums, or have ever read a treasure magazine. I realize that as a broad statement, and highly-unlikely that we woudl find someone like that, but they do exist. Certainly these folks are arrogant to the points made about our code of ethics. Are these people the "sasquatch" demographic of our detecting population - their trail is always found but rarely are they seen in person?

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
How bad is that? He should learn to sift with his scoop! I will post on his site and ask him to fill in his holes tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the same here on the west coast. There are a group of old timers that never fill there holes. They all use the smaller hand scoops and leave trash so easy to spot. When I hit a beach later than them as I have a job so can't get down all the time like them, I see these holes and know the trash will be there. Even junk jewelry is tossed to the side. Even in dry sand I have seen the one idiot leave 2-3ft holes. He won't even wait till sunset when people leave the beach. Will dig huge holes right next to a person's towel. I confront him all the time but he doesn't care. Even brags if he sees gold fall off a person so he can go get it. He will never help people or return what he finds. Then all he does is hoard the gold in a jar. Guess when he is dead some family member may get something out of it. I have spent many hours just cleaning up after these jerks. Had a few lifeguards say thanks to me at least. And plenty of beach goers thank me for picking up trash. Always baffled how idiots can just toss a fish hook or knife back on the ground just a few feet away from a kid playing. There are some good detector guys that hang out with this idiot (nicknamed by locals now as trashy jackhole). I hope they stay good and don't turn to the darkside.

This is the same thing I've experienced over on the east coast with a couple salty old timers. Same type people actually got a civil war skirmish area closed for leaving giant holes everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread