Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a question and I know someone here can give me the answer. I have a Detech !5x12 Butterfly coil on my minelab 1000 and the stock 10 inch on my Excal II. I have noticed that when I use the Detech butterfly with my 1000 that I seem to find a lot smaller targets and for sure the detech goes deeper. I confess don't know the spec's of the two coils and how they work. I would like to hear from someone here to confirm that what I percieve with the butterfly coil is correct. I find really small fish hooks, small earrings and other small items with the butterfly that I usually dont find with my Excal II and the 10 inch stock coil. Would you agree that the butterfly is better?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another variable you haven't figured in. Ever think the Excal 1000 might be hotter. I had both with the 10" coil and I kept the older 1000.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman...
You got rid of x2 ?
You think the 1000 is "hotter" than the 2 ?
This I have heard "rumor" of.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have a question and I know someone here can give me the answer. I have a Detech !5x12 Butterfly coil on my minelab 1000 and the stock 10 inch on my Excal II. I have noticed that when I use the Detech butterfly with my 1000 that I seem to find a lot smaller targets and for sure the detech goes deeper. I confess don't know the spec's of the two coils and how they work. I would like to hear from someone here to confirm that what I percieve with the butterfly coil is correct. I find really small fish hooks, small earrings and other small items with the butterfly that I usually dont find with my Excal II and the 10 inch stock coil. Would you agree that the butterfly is better?

I don't know enough about it that's why I posted here to get an opinion. That is a thought. I thought it could be the butterfly coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman...
You got rid of x2 ?
You think the 1000 is "hotter" than the 2 ?
This I have heard "rumor" of.

No, I thought the Excal II that I had wasn't as "Lucky" as my older 1000. Not all detectors of the same model are created equal due to components variances.

It could very well be a hotter Butterfly coil too.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aman Sandman. I totally agree.... none of my Xcals react the same and ive got the 10" on them all. Throw on different coils and everything changes. NORMALLY with a larger coil you get a little less sensitivity to smaller low conductors on a VLF machine..... coil size has a point, just like sensitivity, where you start loosing smaller targets but picking up larger deeper ones. Sounds like you are hunting in PP and the larger coil likes high conductors.....thats what wrap around does to rusted metal with a lot of sensitivity. You have to judge how the coil is reacting to gold since thats what you are looking for.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I do hunt in the PP mode. The sensitivity of the butterfly coil is incredible. I was finding really small fish hooks and also found one small silver earring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals, one with 12x15 other with 15" WOT both older not excal2, there is no doubt they both go considerably deeper than the stock 10".

They may have less sensitivity to smaller gold targets but it would have to be grains as I have found tiny pieces of gold, I'm talking less than half a gram of gold with both coils....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread