Tybee Island

4runner

Nov 26, 2013
Savannah, Ga
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out Saturday for a couple of ours and didn't find what I wanted, but found what appears to be a cartridge to a rifle.
Also, could the large copper looking metal be large caliber?
Someone chime in? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424700720.986559.jpg

Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love eating at the Crab Shack.:laughing7:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out Saturday for a couple of ours and didn't find what I wanted, but found what appears to be a cartridge to a rifle.
Someone chime in? View attachment 1123523

My guess is the large copper pieces are sheathing. It could be roof sheathing. Back in the day even some pier/wharf pilings were sheathed in copper. It also could be sheathing from the bottom of a ship or boat. Many shipwrecks have occurred in the area off Tybee Island. Unfortunately, the water off Tybee is shallow until a good ways offshore so heavier items might not be able to make it to the surf zone. Those thin copper pieces have a lot of surface area in comparison to their weight, so they have a better chance of being washed in. If you found all those larger copper pieces in the same area, there is a good chance there may be a wreck of some sort in the vicinity.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone chime in? View attachment 1123523
My guess is these are miscellaneous lightweight items from the replenished sand. That does look like a rifle cartridge. Were there any heavy items or coins?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is these are miscellaneous lightweight items from the replenished sand. That does look like a rifle cartridge. Were there any heavy items or coins?

I don't know if the items were recovered from a recently renourished area of Tybee or not...regardless, those pieces of copper are sheathing of some type...probably from a fairly old vessel of some sort. It wouldn't be the first time a dredge has thrown shipwreck items on a beach.

seapro1

Apr 27, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Excalibur 1000, Fisher CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was recently at tybee island also stayed in a condo next to the pier, I also found some copper sheathing, it really didnt look that old to me so I trashed it, but I did find two silver dimes 1963& 1964.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cartridge is straight walled - no bottleneck. Could be .357 to .45-70, can't really tell without measurements. Cheers!!

OP
OP

4runner

Nov 26, 2013
Savannah, Ga
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have only been to Tybee twice to md. I found some small change, but nothing great!
Question, at this time of year, what areas of the beach are the most productive? I try to stay in the area where people are tanning.

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved to the area and live on Wilmington Island. I have been out each weekend and helped cleaned up the beach lol. Found tons of trash and a piece of copper similar to the one you found. I found about $10 bucks in coins during the past three outings. Maybe I will see you out there sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions