First time out fnds

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out for the first time with my Excal II for about 4 hours yesterday. This was my first md-ing ever. My scoops have not arrived just yet so I was using a small trowel to dig targets in dry sand only. Trying to get educated as to the different tones per type of target, but hard to tell the difference. My first hit was the nickle and sure was a thrill lol. Overall, the time spent was pure fun and I can't wait to get my scoops!

Aegis

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good and you are finding the right stuff...you hit plenty of targets...if your coil goes over gold or silver you will get it...look forward to seeing some great finds from you.

OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great to hear I am heading in right direction and I am looking forward to going out again. Thank you for the encouragement!

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good digs....Keep it up!

Rob071

Greenie
Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till you find black bottle caps then you know you have come on ground that hasn't been done in a long time....
Also the closer you get to water the better it gets.:thumbsup:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After awhile you will be able to distinguish the tones for common targets pretty accurately. I always try and guess what the target will be before it is exposed just for fun. After approximately 2,300 hours swing time with the Excalibur II, I now try and guess the brand of the bottle cap or the date of the coin to make it more interesting. :laughing7:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your on your way to the good stuff. I dug a white gold wedding set that sounded just like a bottle top. Made me feel a little ill thinking of a few I passed thinking I knew what it was. Also dug a cluster diamond ring that had broken near the setting, sounded just like a foil ketchup pack. If in doubt, dig it. Good luck! Kevin

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Aegis,

Welcome to the forum! You are digging the right stuff at the beach...Gold will come! Remember dig everything, you never know.

Regards,

AgeofDiscovery

Jan 18, 2015
Williams, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like everyone said, just keep digging!!! I hope you come to love this hobby as much as everyone on here, good luck and who knows, maybe one of us will see you on the beach.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow your bottle caps are much nicer than the ones I find, I'm jealous

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When your scoops show up, your target recovery will be much faster. I always zip tie a magnet to the bottom of my scoop to keep the bobby pins from dropping thru.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net! Keep it up! You will find gold!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep up the good work and you'll start finding higher quality items.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the targets out there learn those shallow bottle caps because there isnt a target that BONGS/breaks up like them. Nor have i found a target worth digging that sounds like them..... everything else if you are hunting in disc you best check. Best way to learn your machine is to dig targets when starting out..... you did good.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Aegis to the wonderful world of webbed feet and shriveled fingers. Your off to a great start, let er rip.

OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all the encouraging comments! I have been out a few more times and I am still retrieving lots of similar targets, albeit much faster now that I have my dry sand scoop.

Via the suggestions here, I am playing the guessing game on the various Excal II tones before digging and that does seem to be tuning my ears to its tones. However, I am confused a little bit on how to handle all the nulls that I seem to getting. Some areas seem to have considerably more nulling out. In these areas I just keep moving until I hit a normal toned target because there is no way I could dig all the nulls. Thus far, the nulls that I have dug turned out to be blanks.

I also received my water scoop and will give the surf a shot soon. I want to move in that direction in small steps since I am little uncomfortable with the idea of both hands full while wading out in 2-3 foot breaks. I do not want to drop the detector in the rough breaks.

Aegis

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aegis, A couple lil tweeks for you.
I chest mount, but you can accomplish the same thing. Attach a short length of 1/8 or 1/4 cord to both the excel and scoop, make them long enough to give you plenty of swing motion and attach the other end of both pieces to a (dang what are those snap climbing things called gamberlers or something like that) and hook them to you, that way if you loose your balance you can let go of both the scoop and excal save yourself then pull both back to you.

Second, once you get use to her, switch to PP and hunt in that, she hits a lil bit deeper, once a target is located switch to disc if you want or do like a lot of us do, if you hear it dig it.

OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aegis, A couple lil tweeks for you.
I chest mount, but you can accomplish the same thing. Attach a short length of 1/8 or 1/4 cord to both the excel and scoop, make them long enough to give you plenty of swing motion and attach the other end of both pieces to a (dang what are those snap climbing things called gamberlers or something like that) and hook them to you, that way if you loose your balance you can let go of both the scoop and excal save yourself then pull both back to you.

Second, once you get use to her, switch to PP and hunt in that, she hits a lil bit deeper, once a target is located switch to disc if you want or do like a lot of us do, if you hear it dig it.

Good tips! I went out this morning at low tide and gave the surf a try for few. Much more confident now. The big scoop worked great and I have more balance than I thought lol. Six pull tabs, six pennies and 3 nails and some assorted wire. Surprised by the nails since I am hunting in discriminate mode. I am going to try switching to PP soon. If in PP and in the surf will I have problems with falsing? Are signals just as obvious in PP, or are they more subtle?

rainyday101 - Yes, I can see this addiction getting way worse!

Aegis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread