🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently own an older Minelab Sovereign Elite. I've had it about 5 months and have found a fair amount of gold with it. Someone is willing to trade me a Whites dual field PI with 1 year of warranty left on it. I already know all about that machine. Should I do it? Should I give pulse induction a try hoping I can get gold deeper. I know I will be digging lots of garbage but can only imagine what's there just out of reach. Am I crazy?

Upvote 0

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently own an older Minelab Sovereign Elite. I've had it about 5 months and have found a fair amount of gold with it. Someone is willing to trade me a Whites dual field PI with 1 year of warranty left on it. I already know all about that machine. Should I do it? Should I give pulse induction a try hoping I can get gold deeper. I know I will be digging lots of garbage but can only imagine what's there just out of reach. Am I crazy?
If you still have the CTX3030, trading the Sov Elite for the Whites DFPI would make a lot of sense. I use an Excal or Sov GT to find low trash areas on the beach with potential for deep targets, then I come back with a pulse machine to dig the deep stuff. But you really have to be physically and emotionally able to do some serious digging!
Clive Clynick has 2 excellent books on the DFPI / pulse machines that I have enjoyed reading and re-reading.
Good luck!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you like the CTX then it seems like letting the Sov go is a good choice. Having the ability to bring something different changes it up a bit out there and adds to the enjoyment. Most people find digging all that trash to be more time consuming and WORK. BUT...... i dont think anyone would disagree that once you have pounded a beach repeatedly.... sometime you just need a different approach to lessen the frustration. In most cases there are spots on the beach that seems to repeatedly produce those are the spots id concentrate on.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm having second thoughts. I really love my Sovereign and don't want to regret getting rid of it. I like it better than my CTX on the beach as well. I will use the finds from this coming spring with my Sovereign and purchase a PI outright. Thanks guys, Mike

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely hold on to the Sovereign as it has superior multi variable tones, and flexibility (supports difffernt coils, and headphones). I would chest mount it for hunting more difficult beach areas where the terrain is more difficult to sweep a coil over or where their is a lot of trash.

Further I would get an Excalibur, which is basically a rurggardized dumbed down Sovereign, for diving/shallow water hunting.

If you can afford it hold on to your CTX3030 for its improved selectivity and and sensitivity.
I use one for detecting over dry and wet sand and in calm water, up to wasit deep.
It is the most powerful and flexible of the three detectors. However, it has to be handled with care or it will leak.

For me, it is not a matter of which detector I like to use the most, but a matter of which works best for the specific hunt.

I use the Excalibur the most, as I mostly shallow water hunt.
Then the CTX 3030, especially where targets are difficult to retrieve, or near hot rocks.
I prefer the Sovereign, but need to house in a water proof box , for more effective use, as it rains heavily and constantly where I hunt.

I'm having second thoughts. I really love my Sovereign and don't want to regret getting rid of it. I like it better than my CTX on the beach as well. I will use the finds from this coming spring with my Sovereign and purchase a PI outright. Thanks guys, Mike

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread