New to Beach Hunting

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If cost is not an issue, I would say yes. The "Yellow" coil is a 12" spider coil on the BHID300 that gets great depth and coverage. But only 25feet water proof depth. I use it in Fresh water/Salt water. I use mine primarily in "All Metal". You still get to see what it is identifying with lights. In my experience, a good ground balance is key, the ID has been 99.5% accurate. In my opinion, with this coil, very powerful water detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only con with this detector, and it only applies to water hunting, is the coil floats like a cork. Whites advertises it as "near neutral buoyant." It gets tiring to hold it near the sand. But the lighter weight is nice to use above water.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always see folks talking about coils that are buoyant. Wouldn't it be easy to attach some weight to is to keep it on/near the bottom? I realize the extra weight consideration, but that would be less of a thing underwater.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times your bouncing from wet sand to water and back... You can use a bean bag or sand bag but it adds weight to coil, always better to have zero buoyancy....

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt Andersons sell a weight for the DF? It might fit the BH as well. Gets irritating if you cant keep a coil down especially in current. You can pay the money to change it over, but right now until you have used it awhile you wont know if you got your moneys worth. Find someone with the other coil and do some real life testing.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could always pop the weight off (if well designed/thought out) when you get out of 'deeper' water, and in very shallow(say ankle) it wouldn't need the weight anyway. Just a thought.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always pop the weight off (if well designed/thought out) when you get out of 'deeper' water, and in very shallow(say ankle) it wouldn't need the weight anyway. Just a thought.

I used a weight on my Whites Beach Hunter, weight worked but was a pain to constantly have to put it on and take out off as I constantly moved from land to water and back....

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure it has the new orange gasket and not the old black one as it will leak. If it does have the black one Whites will change it free of charge when you send it in to have the coil swapped. As far as the floating coil issue goes, well it's true. After a while it's like your fighting to keep the coil where you want it. Great detector however, haven't seen many vlf's that go as deep as a BH. Especially in all metal. GL HH Mike

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of experience in salt water/Fresh water with the BHID300 12" spider coil. I really have had very little problems, in "Fresh Water" with the "yellow" coil floating/Resistance. In "Salt Water", It tends to have more resistance, some floating not a lot, very manageable. However, I only hunt Knee deep with this machine. I have a friend who has a Duel Field PI, it looks to have the same "12 "Yellow Coil" as does the BHID300. He really likes it!....He said it doesn't float that much. I Think the "Black Coil" you have is the "Float Like a Cork" some have refered to. You can easily Youtube videos of this 12"coil in action. In my Opinion, I think the ID lights in All Metal, with the depth this coil achieves, out weighs the "some floating" it has. But. that's just my own opinion.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a weight on my Whites Beach Hunter, weight worked but was a pain to constantly have to put it on and take out off as I constantly moved from land to water and back....

Yeah, I can see how that would be a pain. This would be a good option for someone who didn't move in and out of the deeper water too much or couldn't afford a new coil. And it depends on how much weight has to be added to make the coil neutral- if its not much, it might not be too bad out of the water (again, depending on the physical abilities/tolerances of the individual hunter and his finances).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread