Professional Underwater Model 3080...

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I couldn't pass it up, I've been wanting a beach detector and seeing these run cheap on eBay so I had to try one out. I was a bit leary since they were shipped from Israel. I got it at a good price and received it in just a matter of days. As far as the quality I'm not too sure about that yet. I did a little bench testing and am wondering just how much it will actually pick up when stuff is in the ground/sand. I certainly wouldn't call it a "professional" model (questionable just how effective the adjustments are on it), and I'm sure it's not the most powerful as they advertise. Just as soon as I can test it out I'll post the outcome, may be a while before I can see just how water tight it is (unless I sink it in the bath tub). Fresh water here now and salt water in May. Will post the results. Dan

Upvote 0

capela

Dec 16, 2004
Hi, i have 2 of those MD?s MD3080 and 3080A, i suggest you put some silicon paste inside the juction coil/cable before you get into the water, just for safety !

Capela

This the 3080A (40mts deep)

Attachments

• MD3080x_1.gif
    MD3080x_1.gif
    109.4 KB · Views: 784
OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Mega, I haven't had a real good opportunity to try it out yet, like you I did a little bench testing a felt that it wouldn't detect very deep. I also noticed that there wasn't much change when I made adjustments in sensativity and descrimination. I'll try it out in salt water in mid May but will try it out at a few local land sites in the near future.
Thanks Capela for the tip, I think I'll do that just to be on the safe side.

capela

Dec 16, 2004
These two are great for the price/performance....!!!? ;) ;),? both have good discrimination but the 3080 is less powerfull than the 3080A and runs with 6 AA batteries the "A" model runs with a 6F22 - 9 Volt battery with 70 hours life time.

Capela? ;D

D

dsmartin

I received a 3080 yesterday and set up a test this morning. Used a small sand box set up in my basement. Set an old silver dime, and quarter at 7", and adjusted the coins upwards during the testing.

With the dry test I had to move the coins to within 1" of the surface. Otherwise the signal was so erratic and dirty as to make it indistinguishable from the other background noise (mineralization). I then added water to the mix, and once again the results were very disappointing. Dry or wet, there was no more than 2" detecting depth on the larger coin, 25 cent piece.

I've contacted the seller and am awaiting a reply.

Dave

D

dsmartin

Update: Dealer has agreed to replace the unit, and to inspect/test it before shipping. Unfortunately, had to pay the return postage. Will update when new unit received and tested.

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I finally got to do a little testing and I was very happy with the results on land in dirt. The descrimination doesn't work just super great but it hit some targets that I had missed earlier. I'd like for the coiled cable for the head phones to be a little longer too. Next month I'll get to try it out on the beach in Florida...I'm looking forward to that one. Dan

D

Daemein

Hi mv, How did you go with test on MD3080, as i just bought this model from ebay, haven't had chance to test on land or water just yet but gave it an air test and best depth i can get is 2 -3" with coins & about the same with Rings. thought it would be better. :-\

capela

Dec 16, 2004
Wait untill you reach the wet salt sand, don?t get unhappy about the air tests..., it doesn?t mean nothing....believe me !

Capela

E

ermitchell

Hey guys. I just found this one on ebay to and was thinking of trying it out. So far what is the general opionions of how good it is...Ed

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Finally got to the beach in Florida, the 3080 worked okay. Had to be either in dry sand or have the coil totally submerged in the salt water but was finding clad.
Funny thing....took it to the Bahamas and one of the locals begged me to sell it to him, I did finally give in to him, he said that it's very hard for the locals there to get ahold of a metal detector....he was grinning from ear to ear after I gave him a quick lesson with it. I told him I was hoping to hit one of the nearby beaches and he said he'd take care of that for me right away.
Business opportunity in the Bahamas.......mmmmmm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread