Minelab 705 Advice Needed

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
All in all, that's not a well-suited machine for the wet salt. But it will suffice in a pinch. It's my understanding that you don't want to use the HF "gold" coil for wet salt. While they may be keen on tteeennnsssy low conductors, yet it's not going to be good in wet salt minerals, or good at depth in that.

What frequency is your stock coil? 7.5 ?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a gentleman, Gravediggermax, that used his quite a bit on the east coast, And didn't have issues, just lowered the sensitivity to 16, if I recall. But west coast may be different in terms of mineralization.

OP
OP
R

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a gentleman, Gravediggermax, that used his quite a bit on the east coast, And didn't have issues, just lowered the sensitivity to 16, if I recall. But west coast may be different in terms of mineralization.

Is he on Treasurenet? I found one from Va Beach

OP
OP
R

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in all, that's not a well-suited machine for the wet salt. But it will suffice in a pinch. It's my understanding that you don't want to use the HF "gold" coil for wet salt. While they may be keen on tteeennnsssy low conductors, yet it's not going to be good in wet salt minerals, or good at depth in that.

What frequency is your stock coil? 7.5 ?

Yes 7.5

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is he on Treasurenet? I found one from Va Beach

thats him. If you look at his videos on Utube, he refers to his 705 as "Junior". Check his 2014 videos, I think that is when he was using it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high freq elliptical is a DD coil and will pick up less mineralization. It would be the one to use vs the stock MF concentric. It is also more sensitive to gold. I used the 705 with 10.5" MF DD coil in lightly mineralized Florida wet sand and it ran surprisingly well in beach tracking mode.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I didn't care for was that neither the HF Elipptical and MF 10.5 DD are waterproof.

OP
OP
R

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high freq elliptical is a DD coil and will pick up less mineralization. It would be the one to use vs the stock MF concentric. It is also more sensitive to gold. I used the 705 with 10.5" MF DD coil in lightly mineralized Florida wet sand and it ran surprisingly well in beach tracking mode.

Thanks Fletch88

OP
OP
R

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats him. If you look at his videos on Utube, he refers to his 705 as "Junior". Check his 2014 videos, I think that is when he was using it.

will do Thanks Susan

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

Try to contact gravediggerMax,sorry "Sir Gravediggermax" you will be in good hand :thumbsup:

..yes from VA Beach

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I'm not mistaken "junior" is Max's waterproofed SE Pro. I could be wrong however.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken "junior" is Max's waterproofed SE Pro. I could be wrong however.

No, it's the Xterra. I was wrong on the year though. Take a look at his May 2013 video, don't recall the whole title but it has Jr. in it, and you with see the Xterra in action.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread