How would you approach this water situation

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last Summer I went out to reservoir where I been expecting low water levels due to a dry season the previous year. Well to my surprise the area was flooded due to winter snow melt off and and pretty rainy season. The water level was 14FT above where the swimming area normally starts at. I plan to go again this year but will call first before going. So here is my question. How do I approach metal detecting this area? Do I go to where the water receded to and start there or do I detect the area that was 14Ft under water also? Please explain the reasons for your approach. TY any and all who reply

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people were in the water when it was 14 feet above normal, then detect from the high water mark all the way down. Are you going to go in the water?

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes I'll be in the water I usually go to chest deep.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it all! also when you call ahead to check the water level don't tell them you are going to detect the beach area, they might just tell you "not allowed". Good Luck!

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ty for the advice, but I asked last year and was told detecting was allowed they just said to be sure and refill holes which I do always.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to try going perpendicular to shore , going from start of sand to deepest water you can detect and back. A few passes like this might give you a sense of where most targets are. Find a good patch and then you work the area around it in a tight pattern.

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Susan,
Thats what I normally do at lakes, but I have never encountered water levels that rose that high in a swimming area.
Surgtech57

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread