HEADED TO BARCELONA WITH THE EXCAL LOOKING ANY INFO. FOR THE TRIP

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you see a big herd of bulls running through the streets....stay out of that race...otherwise have a good time .
Gary

luckyp

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2010
Delray Beach,FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
The following link will help you and many detectoristes that want to detect abroad.

Law

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
You can detect as much as you like in Spain, especially in this season. Avoid like in most south european countries to detect in the middle of the afternoon between towels.

The beaches north of Barcelona on the Costa Brava are crowed during summer time, so should productive. Take care to the wind, especially in march in the "Golf du Lion", can be very very strong with a stormy sea under a wonderfull sunshine.

Enjoy Spain and beach detection!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Haha, I am totally cracking up laughing at reading a) luckyp's post, then b) frogmaster-riviera's post.

Did anyone else catch that ? Look at luckyp's link, then click to read Spain's section. Pretty ... uh ... "dire sounding" right ? But then as you can see in frogmaster's post, there are people md'ing there (You see them frequently on various forums, etc...). Ok then, "what gives?". Here's the scoop:

1) Notice at first glance, when you read the link, everything about the "no" there, is completely couched in terms of antiquities, etc... right? Thus technically speaking then, new stuff is outside the scope of such laws. And bear-in-mind that "new" there can be hundreds of years old (unlike the USA's "50 or 100 yr" verbage). And quite frankly, I have my doubts that anyone's following anyone else around with a calculator doing the math on coin ages.

2) Those laws would have no bearing on private land. So, like England, you can hunt farmers fields with permission, which are outside the scope of laws dealing with public land use.

3) You've got to look at how that link came into being in the first place: Someone, way-back-when, went and did the obvious, to prepare for such a list: They asked! Doh. And who better to ask, than the countries themselves, eh ? So you fire off an email or letter to some border bureaucrat lawyer, or travel consulate, or whomever. The "pressing question" gets bandied around from desk to desk, to eventually get classed into some silly category like pyramid raiding, shipwreck salvor, or exporting gold bars type nonsense.

4) The same type answer could probably be found about the USA too, if you asked enough purist archies. They might couch the answer in terms of mel fisher legal hassles, or arpa, or lost & found laws, or .... who knows ?

But suffice it to say, that even in the "dire sounding" countries, there are hobbyists. And like anywhere, as long as you're not a nuisance snooping around obvious historic sensitive monuments, well........... ok then.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent post Tom, you got it!

Everything is forbidden but many things are tolerate "as far as you are not a nuisance". In south Europe, law is not ON/OFF like it could be in the US, especially in spain...police has other things to do ;-)

I ALWAYS have a rock on me and show it as a great find : it's a METEORITE!!! I looooovvve them and I'm only interested about those rocks :thumbsup:

Last edited:

luckyp

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2010
Delray Beach,FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are both right and I took that link from The National Council Metal Detecting in England.They are certainly rights and you are too.This work when you are already in those countries with a metal detector.However when you arrive by plane it is another question with customs on arrival and departure with your finds.I had that problem in several countries in Africa but lucky me I was with somebody from the government.If you do not know anybody , it is the "Backish"and this can be extremely expensive both ways.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I take the plane with my metals detectors all the time and just say it's for buisness need to locate cables. That's all.

For the finds, it's an other story but UPS works fine...

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think you are both right and I took that link from The National Council Metal Detecting in England......

Hi Lucky. That link has circulated around for a long time now. It was a noble idea to put together. I mean, like a one-stop resource for anyone getting ready to travel to those various countries, right ? But as you can see, the psychology of "Sometimes no one cared... UNTIL you asked", can apply on a national scale too.

The question (when preparing for those lists) would logically go to legal beaver travel consulate people wherever they were inquiring. And then perhaps get bandied around to various lawyer types or archies or whomever. And then dire-sounding answers, such as you see, passed back-down the chain. Presto, easy, eh ?

We had the same psychology develop here in the USA too: Persons as far back as the early 1980s, attempted to make a state-by-state list of each state's policies, regarding md'ing in their state parks. Sounds easy enough, eh? So the guy sends out 50 xeroxed letters to each state capitol head park's dept. people. Hey, who better to ask, than the top-most folk, eh ? And some of states, not unlike your Europe list, came back with dire sounding answers, or outright "no's". Oddly, you had old-timers in those states, who .... upon reading this, were scratching their heads saying to themselves "SINCE WHEN?". Because it had never been an issue or problem (barring unless you're being a nuisance, or snooping at sensitive monuments, etc....).

So for this reason, I take that Europe link of yours with a grain of salt, sorry to say. I mean, sure "use common sense", but .... on the other hand, it requires a little reading between the lines.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you can find many to check out on the tube

OP
OP
S

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks CASPER. My hotel is across the street from the beaches in the first Video.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
149k.gif

Top Member Reactions