I got snuba, now where to hunt? Tips for reading the beach?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a beach that drops off rapidly. The Sarasota beaches are so shallow that you can wade out a LONG way.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find a beach that drops off rapidly. The Sarasota beaches are so shallow that you can wade out a LONG way.

We have both drop-off and wade out beaches. have found stuff in both...

drop-off stuff tends to be at the bottom of the drop, and wade out beaches attract plenty of people who stand, drink, chat, lose jewelry.....

Happy Hunting!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have both drop-off and wade out beaches. have found stuff in both...

drop-off stuff tends to be at the bottom of the drop, and wade out beaches attract plenty of people who stand, drink, chat, lose jewelry.....

Happy Hunting!!

Yes, but you don't need the diving gear for the shallow wading beaches.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Walking the beach Can you spot where there were rip currents? If so stand there and look to see where there are sudden rising waves farthest from the beach. Go just beyond.

Longshore drift, undertow and rips will deposit heavies in confined areas. When you get to the spot look for other debris such as shells.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent found reading a beach to do me any good. KNOWING a beach seems a little better because there are areas that consistently produce. But unless i have very little time to hunt..... i hunt as much of the water as i can that day and most of the time find the gold where i least expect it. Dont get into a routine of just hunting deep water or shallow water or even just run a line.... change it up grid an area or hunt an area you normally wouldnt. Sarasota may have shallow water..... but there is a good bit of difference where you can an cant go during the summer vs winter months out there.... and there is a LOT of swimmers out deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread