Seeded beach :(

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a water Hunter here who for three summers dumped hundreds of pop tabs in the lake I hunt. He only stopped because I started hunting shortly after he did on a still day and found a clear trail of pop tabs right along his scoop lines. Given that he was a foot taller and about 200 pounds heavier for me, I didn't accuse him, just pointed out what I was seeing and expressing my opinion of what kind of a low life would risk harming swimmers or even getting themselves arrested just to get back at other hunters. He packed up and left within five minutes, and neither he or the pop tabs have been back since.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is sad when someone resorts to something like that. I guess I am pretty naïve, because when I used a PI in years past and found all those paper clips on the beach I figured there must have been some kind of a convention at one of the local hotels and folks brought their notes to the beach to read and lost their paper clips. It never crossed my mind that someone might have been targeting me. I am not sure if I am sitting here laughing at my own simple mindedness or if I am laughing at the stupidity of some people. The paper clips did slow me down a little bit, but I still found the gold, so what did they gain? If people who resort to these types of pranks are reading this post, just remember that there are always consequences to everything you do, some are good consequences and some are not so good. "Let your conscience be your guide". HH, Beach Papa ps: I now use a CTX and have found at least one nice heavy gold ring at a solid 12-36 penny signal, so if you use a CTX and want to seed the beach with pennies and notch them out, it's ok I won't mind I'll clear them out for you.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and while these and those are seeding paper clips and pennies, lots of local aholes throwing out handfulls of buckshot and copper bb's. Those don'y stay in the scoop.

Mike

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Susan, but I am confused since he would have to dig all the pull tabs too. I understand the whole CTX/zincoln scenario, since they're easy to skip with the ctx, but you have to dig pull tabs no matter what machine you're using. Was he just through with the area and throwing his proverbial sucker in the dirt (or lake)?

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Susan, but I am confused since he would have to dig all the pull tabs too. I understand the whole CTX/zincoln scenario, since they're easy to skip with the ctx, but you have to dig pull tabs no matter what machine you're using. Was he just through with the area and throwing his proverbial sucker in the dirt (or lake)?

Lots of lakes to hunt here, so I guess when he knew he wasn't coming back during the season he dumped tabs in the lake. He was a big guy, 300 or more pounds, maybe 35 and hunted with his father. I had seen him before and I really think he didn't like detecting, would rather be home playing video games or something. The quantity of tabs was astounding though, someone would have to work hard to accumulate them. He had only made a few passes in one section of the lake and after he left I cleaned up nearly 200 tabs. This is a man made lake with a thick sand bottom and crystal clear water that day, and I was able to run my scoop over the lines of tabs and pick up most without detecting. As soon as the swimmers hit the water though, these would have been distributed all over. We would have had them all picked up by the end of the season, as we had every other year he dropped them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and while these and those are seeding paper clips and pennies, lots of local aholes throwing out handfulls of buckshot and copper bb's. Those don'y stay in the scoop.

Mike

Now that does suck. :(

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX can id a zincoln but some large gold rings and high karat gold read exactly the same as a zincoln...big gold and high karat gold are two targets I would hate to leave because I thought they were zincolns.

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX can id a zincoln but some large gold rings and high karat gold read exactly the same as a zincoln...big gold and high karat gold are two targets I would hate to leave because I thought they were zincolns.

The 14k wedding band I found on that same beach rang higher than I thought it would have. :)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes that what someone had posted about a big class ring in southwest FL several months ago.(can't remember who it was) I dig everything above iron anyway and chunky iron sometimes just to check for masks targets that may be of similar density and deposited with the iron.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that what someone had posted about a big class ring in southwest FL several months ago.(can't remember who it was) I dig everything above iron anyway and chunky iron sometimes just to check for masks targets that may be of similar density and deposited with the iron.
I do the same with my CZ21...I got an overload signal last year that id as iron, I scooped it and it was a nice gerber pocket knife...Ive dug a couple of solid high tones that were gold rings and several mid-high tones that jumped back and forth that were gold rings...90% of gold rings come in as solid mid tones on my CZ21 but Im not leaving any high tones...all the silver rings come in as high tones anyways...there not worth much but they make my day when I find one.

melbajoe

Dec 5, 2014
ct
Detector(s) used
excal II CZ21 sov gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny ( or sad) what people will do just to bother others for no good purpose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions