Excalibur II first dive and depth test before bewitched by OBN @

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

Minelab Excalibur scuba dive photos and video

Just have received my new Minelab Excalibur II and before loosing my warranty on it, I just wanted to make sure it was fully functional before beeing remastered by OBN, the wizard of Excalibur

I've selected a new diving site where I first have to locate some pieces of wood, potteries and iron on the seabed which are proof of shipwreck a loooong time ago...

All my tanks have been sent to the yearly certification, so I'm diving with a friend "oldy" regular air mix tank which is not so good for this depth.

https://youtu.be/pOQPU41pTlI

I've uses a copyright music, so can't see from Germany and from certain devices, computer =OK

0-63m (0-206ft) as quick as possible to stay as much as I can looking for clues of +2000 years old shipwreck..

2457758531.jpg

Even when detecting underwater, I won't forget my Minelab cap :laughing7:
Sorry for the red nose... just made a jump of nearly 210ft in a very limited time period and you can have blood :unhappysmiley: coming out from your nose, something usual.
3544261811.jpg

Heading to potential sites of interest, Scuba detection is similar to land relic prospection..it takes time and need some luck

210448minelabexcaliburscubaunderwater.jpg

608193exca6.jpg

607913exca1.jpg

4613446813.jpg

exca2.jpg

Trying to read the currents and searching for clues (pottery, irons, wood) of shipwrecks @ approx -65m (213ft)

735306Minealabexcaliburscubaunderwaterdetection1.j  pg

441514exca4.jpg

642872Excalibur2scubaunderwaterdetector.jpg

Look at the Moray fish on the left of the image....
5007247010.jpg

311103exca5.jpg

Time goes very fast underwater, I consume nearly 6x more air at this depth then i will on surface.....

589365118.jpg

My diving computer starts to beep but I couldn't hear it (metal detection...) and I only have a few minutes minutes left in my crappy tank (!)

643810Pictures61.jpg

This is a good shot of a stupid man realizing he is in deep SxxT :BangHead:
8528117651.jpg

Heading quickly to the surface (not too fast..) and still a long way to go ... 2 major deco stops to do. Only air remaining for the deepest one (!)
816139827.jpg

PS: I only did the first deco step, surfaced and took a spare pony air tank to accomplish my long final deco...did go to the hospital in emergency for checking and analysing the data of my diving computer. Thanks god everythings ok

This not the good example to follow, I am an experienced diver and I was lucky today...can't have luck all the time.

The next step for upgrading my Excalibur II into an Excalibur IIS

- Changing the end caps by OBNs remastered ones
- Remote PP latching mod with led light in All Metal position
- Hot swappable / Removable coil even during underwater prospection
- Use of Bone Phone hearphone, can be placed under the diving suite
- Lipo battery pack with capacity led
- Change the decals for those ones :

785198excaliburdesignfinal1.png

710176excaliburdesignfinal12.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures, be careful sir.....

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one where are the goodies???

RR

No goodies :-( I haven't located the right place this time. i will come back with bigger air tank and a Pony. Did had a few iron sounds but no pieces of wood... and no goddies of course.

Can't win every day!

974681exca3.jpg

Last edited:

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can imagine digging at this depths......hard work !!!!!BTW i m trying to get a proto of a travel scoop done will keep you updated

RR

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wainting for my new lesche SS pick from the US....
MiniPicks-17_LG.jpg

But the aim of this dive was really to test the Excalibur II before applying mods. I try also to find new sites of interest as you can imagine, hunt an entire site takes you at least 10-15 dives to complete

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great visibility there! Like that decal, please post a pic of your IIS once you and OBN get it tricked out!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still looking for the exact size of the battery pod decals...I want to creat one as well ...any one could help me?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
frogmaster,

You were one lucky diver and glad you made it out safely.....maybe a back up tank part way up tied to a cord would be a good idea for the deco phases....
better safe than sorry.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
frogmaster,

You were one lucky diver and glad you made it out safely.....maybe a back up tank part way up tied to a cord would be a good idea for the deco phases....
better safe than sorry.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yep bill your are right. i always have one waiting at 3m depth (i'm used to come up in a hurry :notworthy:), but as I said in the introduction, i gave this week all my tanks for their yearly certification and just had an Aluminium Pony tank on the boat + a pure oxygen tank that I did use when reaching the shore.

Just loose some blood from the nose and had my wife was upset all day (!) = "the longest and the most painful deco phase" :laughing7:

I don't know the English name of this fish that was sitting just next to my detector (delicious fish!)
chapon.JPG

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
frogmaster,

It looks a bit like a puffer fish but those are very poisonous and you need a good chef to take out the bad parts.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
frogmaster,

It looks a bit like a puffer fish but those are very poisonous and you need a good chef to take out the bad parts.

Regards + HH

Bill

No Bill, it's a CAPON FISH, I've just found the translation: it is an EXCELLENT fish! Mmmmmhhh love it, I had a metal detector in my hand.. whish i had an harpoon (!) Oops, it's forbidden when diving with air tanks...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice decal and nice way to represent OBN, im very impressed. GL HH Mike

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Froggy! Amazing Pic's again and Glad all went well and your safe. Keep the Adventure Going my friend...Just wish we lived closer.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Froggy! Amazing Pic's again and Glad all went well and your safe. Keep the Adventure Going my friend...Just wish we lived closer.

We can meet in the Caribbean, it's almost half way for both. incredible dives to do over there from a rented Multihull with air compressor on it.... think about it....

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Froggy, just noticed this from your pictures, you need to secure that coil wire right above the coil to the shaft, in your case the currents can move it giving you false signals. Right where that decal is on your shaft is a good spot then again 3-4 inches up continue til atleast 2 feet above coil.

Great looking pictures, glad your safe.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can meet in the Caribbean, it's almost half way for both. incredible dives to do over there from a rented Multihull with air compressor on it.... think about it....

I was going to suggest we all met at my place - but my stuntman days are over as far as deep dives with little time for deco time goes :thumbsup:
Too close to the edge for me!!
Stay safe!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Froggy, just noticed this from your pictures, you need to secure that coil wire right above the coil to the shaft, in your case the currents can move it giving you false signals. Right where that decal is on your shaft is a good spot then again 3-4 inches up continue til atleast 2 feet above coil.

Great looking pictures, glad your safe.:thumbsup:

Yep Spleeper, your right!

With OBN we are implementing an hot swappable coil connector to be able to change coil underwater. Maybe there is a need to put the plug next to the coil, it'll be easier to change it on the field... Any idear?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread