USC / Rhody

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 & Whites 6000 DI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...Water Newbie here who recently picked up a used Garrett XL500 Sea Hunter made in the 90s and I'm anxious to get out in the water and try it out! I've been dirt detecting off and on since the 1970s when my dad was stationed in Germany and started with an old Sears/Whites $19 detector. I scuba dive and live near the ocean in Rhode Island so thought this might be a fun way to bring together a number of my interests but didn't want to jump in with a brand new unit incase reality wasn't as fun as I think it will be. After reading tons of reviews and getting a little lucky to find this unit as I was looking for a PI detector, I sent it off to Garrett and had it checked out, and had the batteries and seals replaced. My big question to all the old timers out there who are familiar with this detector is do they know were I can find one of the optional 13" coils that were originally offered, and are they worth having, or am I just going to get frustrated digging down to China for an old nail. It sounds as this PI with the 8" coil already goes very deep in salt water but I thought there might be an advantage to covering more ground with each swing...the unit does allow you to set the search depth somewhat so the 13" coil might still be of use if I can find one...they don't seem to ever show up on ebay so looking for some insight from others before I waste my time and money trying to run one down. All help is greatly appreciated and hope to see some of you out in the surf...Thanks!:skullflag:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are going to take it diving...the 8" coil will be best. Better pin pointing and smaller footprint. It is very difficult to retrieve a target while underwater as compare to standing waist deep in water. You will learn how to fan the target or use a plastic hand scoop. I had a XL500 VLF model and no regrets until I went to a PI; I was missing a lot of targets in the ocean. Now I have stronger arms and better balance. It is a wonderful hobby. Take care and good luck.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scuba+metal detector+Rhode Island=lots of old gold and silver. You will have a brand new, top of the line waterproof detector in no time. Next thread you will be asking which one to get. I'll beat you to it, get an Excalibur with the 8" coil.
Gl HH Mike

OP
OP
U

USC / Rhody

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks WaterWalker (very cool handle), I'm sure 90% of my time will be in surf, but 10% will be used for diving...makes a lot of sense what you said about smaller footprint needed when diving.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba+metal detector+Rhode Island=lots of old gold and silver. You will have a brand new, top of the line waterproof detector in no time. Next thread you will be asking which one to get. I'll beat you to it, get an Excalibur with the 8" coil.
Gl HH Mike

I follow guys using Excals on RI beaches in the water all the time - and find old gold and silver behind them all the time

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sending you a PM with articles Ive written - some may help you - others may inspire

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still own and use my old XL 500vlf from the late 70's. It has a 7" coil. That old detector has paid for itself many times over. Hope you enjoy yours as much. Best luck to you.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I follow guys using Excals on RI beaches in the water all the time - and find old gold and silver behind them all the time
That's awesome! You must be a great detectorist.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gl HH Mike
......I do Not think that you will want to Upgrade once you really get to know your detector!....I think that you will really like your Garrett Sea Hunter Pulse Induction....I have been using one since 1984.....since you are a water newbie I would stick with the standard 7.5 inch coil now until you are an expert and then you can decide whether the 13 inch coil would be right for you....but I will give you a warning....they are really RARE and very seldom show up on Ebay....I have a custom made 10 inch coil but it was made for me back in the late 1980's and probably are more RARE than the 13 inch coil...anyway use your detector all over the beach and in the surf....I use mine on zero discrimination and will dig all targets ...go slow and listen intently.....you will also need a long handled Stainless Steel scoop....try it in water at first that is from ankle to knee deep....you will find out that finding targets in the surf is a lot different than digging coins on land.....try to find the troughs (and sand bars)
out in the water that is where a lot of the goodies accumulate due to the action of the surf......Good Luck

OP
OP
U

USC / Rhody

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sending you a PM with articles Ive written - some may help you - others may inspire

Casper...Thanks so much for all of your articles!!! Its 3am and I'm still
reading them, Love it. I was very hesitant to join a forum but really cant
thank you enough for all the great info. Sounds like we were kind of cut
from the same cloth in that I started hunting back in the 70s also and have
really never left the hobby completely. Really fell back into it a couple
of months ago when I was digging around in the garage and saw my old Whites
that I put away because of a move...dug it out and the spark was right back!
Went on line to see what was out there and realized that surf hunting was
now a very viable option. As I hunted around on ebay for a used machine it
really got the juices flowing...I think treasure hunting, antiques, and
collecting are kind of a drug to some including myself where I am always out
there hunting for something. Anyway really cant thank you enough for your
warm welcome and the articles are truly awe inspiring and have opened my
eyes to all the fun that can be had...I have read a couple of books on water
hunting in the last couple of months but your articles really opened my eyes
to all the possibilities and enjoyment to be had year round. I really think
you should put these articles together and produce a book as they are truly
an invaluable resource to those interested in the field, I feel like I have
learned years worth of knowledge in a weekend thanks to you...anyway great
knowing there are people like you out there willing to share with the late
comers to the party, again thanks and maybe we will meet somewhere down the
road. All the best to you in your hunts.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget The Golden Oldie.The Golden Olde

One of the greats Ive heard - I joined here late - did not know him
Ive been detecting since 1975 - age 12 - so I set my own trails
but but getting into this hobby I believe you should read and learn all you can - take what you like from each and add a little of your own
60.gif

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Garrett Sea Hunter XL-500 PI is a very functional detector, had mine since 1985 and it is still in use occasionally. It's not the deepest, most sensitive or fastest reacting PI detector these days but I'm not so athletic as yesteryear and don't have reason to move so fast anymore. The bell like audio is a pleasure to listen to, being a none motion detector took a little getting use to back then but it make this detector usefull for specific tasks when used in areas where there is little or no room for coil movement, also make pinpointing easy especially when water hunting in chest deep water where the coil is out of sight. All coils was obtained together, small is good for places with rocks and other river restrictions, 7" coil preferred for water and surf hunting and smaller beaches, 13" coil is lovely to use on larger open beaches with some walking space between targets. The 3.5" and 13" coil will be hard to find the 13" was never available from an importer/dealer in Australia, I imported the whole packaged myself. A silver $ and a class ring is not unusuall finds for some........... but it is when they are found on the same beach in OZ..... silver $ on a sunny afternoon.....class ring at low tide on a night hunt.....both with the 7"coil.................ivanll..........................
Project1_800_1.jpg

OP
OP
U

USC / Rhody

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Sea Hunter XL-500 PI is a very functional detector, had mine since 1985 and it is still in use occasionally. It's not the deepest, most sensitive or fastest reacting PI detector these days but I'm not so athletic as yesteryear and don't have reason to move so fast anymore. The bell like audio is a pleasure to listen to, being a none motion detector took a little getting use to back then but it make this detector usefull for specific tasks when used in areas where there is little or no room for coil movement, also make pinpointing easy especially when water hunting in chest deep water where the coil is out of sight. All coils was obtained together, small is good for places with rocks and other river restrictions, 7" coil preferred for water and surf hunting and smaller beaches, 13" coil is lovely to use on larger open beaches with some walking space between targets. The 3.5" and 13" coil will be hard to find the 13" was never available from an importer/dealer in Australia, I imported the whole packaged myself. A silver $ and a class ring is not unusuall finds for some........... but it is when they are found on the same beach in OZ..... silver $ on a sunny afternoon.....class ring at low tide on a night hunt.....both with the 7"coil.................ivanll..........................
Project1_800_1.jpg

WOW!!! Hadn't even heard of the 3-1/2...Thanks for the photos, at least now I know what to keep my eyes open for. Very jealous as I bet you have one of the very few complete packages still around...I know if I ever find either of the other two coils for sale I will jump all over them...John from Rhode Island.

Pipeliner597

Sep 28, 2020
SRQ
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casper-2, Another newbie here. just purchased a Sea Hunter XL 500 here in Sarasota , Fl. Retired in June this year with deep interests in detecting. Saw in this forum that you have wrote articles relating to this pastime. Would be interested in any input. Thanks

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Another newbie here. just purchased a Sea Hunter XL 500 here in Sarasota , Fl...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from BEACH AND SHALLOW WATER over to NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS for more exposure.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
One of the greats Ive heard - I joined here late - did not know him
Ive been detecting since 1975 - age 12 - so I set my own trails
but but getting into this hobby I believe you should read and learn all you can - take what you like from each and add a little of your own
View attachment 1131570

1975, 12yrs old. I was only 3 yrs old but digging in the dirt with my hands lol. That would make you 57 yrs young...many yrs of detecting still.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI......Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread