wetsuit question?? plz advice needed

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Im going crazy i got to get back in the water, i hunt a fresh water lake and right now the water temp is right around 43 degrees, i have a long sleeve shorty thats 3 mm and a farmer john thats 3mm and 3mm boots, i bought this gear last year and never got a chance to try it out, does anybody know if that will be warm enough for 43 degree water??? Im only going chest deep, im so desperate i might tape hand warmers all over then put on the wet suit............ any input is welcomed thanks!

Upvote 0

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
now THATS dedication!
notworthy.gif

Thanks but I'm Addicted just like the rest around here... ... just don't step in your forgotten holes coming in, ..... me flopping around like a fish this past weds, got leg cramps while down and made for a tuff few seconds..

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear 7mm farmer john - 2 piece with 7mm gloves and 7mm boots - I get tired before I get cold - been doing it this way in New England
for close to 20 yrs in winter waters - I hunted last winter with this set up last winter with WaterWalker once - so he has seen it

3mm = 1/8"approx 7mm = 5/16" big diff than 3mm.

43 degree water!!! only 11 degrees from freezing...
Either a drysuit with thermals or waders with the same, just don't fall down or those waders will become a very cold, soggy, wetsuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got turned off of dry suits long ago when a few guys died wearing them - I hunt with my wet suit up to my neck in cold waters - no weight belt
deeper than that I of course wear one - I can keep my feet on the ground without one in the shallows - but my weight must be just right - in 5+ feet of water - if I lift my feet up - I will easily float - almost neutral buoyancy.
cant say the same for a dry suit if you spring a leak - if you run into trouble - get wrapped up in heavy fishing line -ropes etc - try getting out of your suit
years back one guy got a slash in his dry suit - filled right up and drowned
another one pretty much had the same prob and people on shore watched cause no one would brave the cold water in their clothes - by time rescue came - to late
I met a few others with close calls too---but to each his/her own - I been swimming in these waters since I was a kid and have a higher tolerance to cold
I know guys in Fla. that cant even get in the water in winter cause they cant stand the cold and refuse to get a good wet suit
they just wait till it warms - I go down to Fla. in winter - im in the water all day in trunks and a sweat shirt - and sweatshirt is on mostly to keep the sun and jelly fish off me

• Drysuit only, wetsuit , getting out of the water on a windy cold day, which is everyday at the beach during the winter, not for me.. drysuit, dry gloves 32 degree waters... the only thing that stops me then is ice....

then I got to a lighter drysuit for 50 to 60..

View attachment 1131003 View attachment 1131004 View attachment 1131005

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper & OBN - You guys are a couple a tough hombre's!! I could never get in that cold water, and I live in Minnesota. I tried a dry-suit dive once in 38 degree water and even though my hands were dry, my fingers ached from the cold. My regulator kept falling out of my mouth because my lips were frozen and numb. Well, more power to you guys - I'll wait till the waters around 55 + degrees.
As always - Good luck to ALL!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this being said - if you've noticed - have not posted any cold water finds yet - getting older and living 2+ hrs from the ocean - it takes a lot these days for me to take the ride to jump in the cold water-
when I was younger - I was down there every weekend - but back then it was worth it for me - I had some great spots and would get 2 or 3 old gold every trip
not worth it for me now a days

Casper & OBN - You guys are a couple a tough hombre's!! I could never get in that cold water, and I live in Minnesota. I tried a dry-suit dive once in 38 degree water and even though my hands were dry, my fingers ached from the cold. My regulator kept falling out of my mouth because my lips were frozen and numb. Well, more power to you guys - I'll wait till the waters around 55 + degrees.
As always - Good luck to ALL!!

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A drysuit would work just add layers under it for warmth and don't forget to burp the suit so you don't have buoyancy issues.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A drysuit would work just add layers under it for warmth and don't forget to burp the suit so you don't have buoyancy issues.

As your walking out deeper you can feel the pressure coming up, I just pull back on the neck seal and she Burps...

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OBN, I hope you didn't freeze my Excal solid.

OP
OP
aliciakay1981

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been away since friday decided to use waders one more time it rained like crazy the day before so the water level was really high and ended with a skunk trip. the days have been around 75 and the waters are warming i think by this weekend the wet suit should work im going to order some better boots thanks for all the replies i did some homework on it in the the past but it always helps to hear from experience. : ) thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread