Old Gold coins in Hawaii? Has anyone found any??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi all I live in Hawaii and was wondering if there has been any posts about anyone in Hawaii finding old American gold coins? I was just curious because I never hear of anything about some lucky fella finding gold coins? My dads mother and father worked on Hawaii's old plantations and he told me of people that used to bury their money because they never trusted the bank. I have looked at many old house sites but nothing, found a couple of seated dimes and such but no gold? Where is it all at? I am diving some sites that I found some old money but it was all corroded already because its made of silver. Is it possible to find them gold coins here? I know it will be harder because the traffic in the olden days here can't compare to the ghost towns in the United States.. Just wondering if anybody could share some information that would be great, I know that there were alot of different denominations in gold... Just a thought
huh.gif

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you may have noticed ...if they did ..they not gonna say

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other than the secrecy ... in Hawaii you can't hunt anywhere else except the beaches ... and they're mostly just back-fill pumped from the ocean. So, where's a gold coin? Probably still in the ground.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Other than the secrecy ... in Hawaii you can't hunt anywhere else except the beaches .......

How do you figure this ? I know guys that md'd various land-sites there (parks, etc...) and had no issues or problems. Makahaman seems to have hunted on some land-sites too. So where are you getting this info that no land sites can be hunted there ?

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you figure this ?

Department of Land and Natural Resources for the State of Hawaii, is a good place to start.

The State forestry division may permit detecting ... but nothing may be removed from the ground. So good luck with that.
Likewise in State parks .... nothing removed from the ground.
Metal Detecting is permitted only on the sand beaches of State Parks and City beaches (permits may be required)

Private property is permitted.

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
You can hunt land sites but finding the old sites are the problem, gotta do tons and I mean tons of research in finding the spots!! But you can land hunt but not on archeological sites and sites that are known to be acheological places. But in Hawaii you can hunt just about anywhere some good places are on private property...

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chapter 13-146-32(h) of the Hawaii Administrative Rules, relating to state parks, specifically states, "No person shall possess or use a mineral or metal detector, magnetometer or other metal detecting device except on sand areas of beaches."

Unencumbered state lands -- lands not currently being leased for anything or designated for a specific purpose -- are basically off limits from any kind of scavenging.

Digging is allowed at city beaches, it's not allowed in the parks.

Legally, if you want to hunt ... you'd better be in the sand area of the city or state park area. Otherwise, on private land with permission. That's about it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
jackelope, I see your error: You're assuming that the rules you read of in the "dept. of land and natural resources" apply to ALL "land" in Hawaii. That is not the case. Their domain would only be over THEIR land. Not other forms of public land (eg.: city or county or federal). Also note that not all state land is necessarily state PARK land (or "land and natural resources"). What I mean is, there can be other forms of state land. Road right-of-way, is an example (but don't get "lost in the example").

The same mistake is often made when people study the FMDAC's state by state list here on the main-land. They read something dire (or an outright 'no') regarding their state. And assume it applies to all public land in their state. But it doesn't. It only applies to STATE PARK land. Not "all land".

As I said: there are people detecting land sites in Hawaii frequently, with no issues or problems. And no, not just "private land", but .... other type land too (parks, etc....).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread