How many gold jewelry is on a beach/in water that has been used for over 100 years??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I wanted to see what kind of responses I could get about this question, I have been hunting a beach that has been used since the 1880's. How much gold do you think is in the water/sand over the course of 100 years plus. This beach has had quite a bit of traffic and it was also used during World War I and II. Just would like to hear everyones take on this as an estimate of the gold that you thinks been lost throughout 100 years plus....

Upvote 0

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just some napkin calculations ...

This many visitors come to Oahu each year: 4,823,874

Hanauma Bay sees an average of 3000 visitors a day or around a 1,000,000 / year

If only 1 in 1,000 visitors lose anything of value: that's 1,000 lost items per year

Of the 1,000 items, 50% are swept off-shore or buried too deep to be recovered

That leaves 500 items of value lost on a very busy beach per year.

If detectorists have a recovery success rate of 80%, that leaves 100 valuable items left unrecovered

Figuring most items will totally sink out of reach after 3 years of being lost, each year we'd have less opportunity for recovery.

Year 1 Lost: 100 x 100% recovery = 100 lost items available
Year 2 since Lost: 100 x 50% recovery = 50 lost items in sand for two years
Year 3 since Lost: 100 x 10% recovery = 10 lost items in sand for third year

Total valuable items on the beach still left to be found on any given day: 100 + 50 + 10 = 160 items

This beach L x W is 1850 x 300ft = 555,000 ft2

This means there is one (1) lost recoverable (not buried too deep) valuable item every 3,500 sq ft. (includes water areas 60 yds off shore)

Given that an 11" search coil swept in one direction covers approx. 5 sq feet, and...

Given that at average sweep speed you cover 28 feet / minute ...

You cover about 140 sq feet per minute at average detecting speed

If you detect for 6 hours a day, you cover 8400 sq feet / hr * 6 = 50,400 sq feet per hunt ...

It would take 11 such hunts of 6hrs each with no overlap to cover the entire sand and water areas

You would collect 80% (recovery rate) x 160 total valuable times = 128 valuable items

Of course, you share the beach hunting with other detectorists, not just you ...

because they hunt randomly without knowing who else hunted, about 80% of their hunting is overlapped ...

Since random detecting is at 20% efficiency (compared to your gridded 100% efficiency) it take them 330 hours of detecting to do the same job you do in 66 hours.

If 10 different people randomly hunt each week for 2 hours - it takes almost 24 weeks (6 months) for the beach/water areas to be fully hunted.

That's 240 different hunters every 6 months covering all the beach at 80% recovery, finding 128 valuable items (leaving 32 valuables not found)

Since there are more hunters than valuables to find ... 47% of the hunters walk away with nothing (assuming each hunter only can find one item)

If 20% of the hunters find two (2) items on their 2-hour hunt at the beach ... then 83% of the other hunters walk away empty handed

This is why, despite the Hanauma Bay's huge number of visitors ... the majority of the metal detectorists never find anything valuable there.

Other beaches have half the number of tourists ... with perhaps half the lost items (80 annually) but with only 25% fewer detectorists hunting ...

That means, on less crowded beaches you have 20% of the smart searchers finding 2 valuables, and the other 94% finding nothing valuable

I'm usually in the 94% finding nothing of value ... Oh, well.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imagine the gold chains that are out there that most detectors cant pickup? It's like spaghetti everywhere. Mike

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe on the right day, with a rising tide sweeping over the towel line in the late afternoon, quite a few valuable items can be lost. Some people take off their jewelry before swimming only to find the tide has swept it away upon their return. I can't help but smile when I see sleeping sunbathers swamped by the tide and their frantic attempts to gather scattered belongings.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack no offense but I think your calculations are off, I think it is higher lost ratio and lower recovery ratio, at least in Florida.

I am a firm believer our beaches are covered in lost jewelry, they are just covered in sand. The occasional storms that tear our beaches up produce a lot of gold.

One day after a storm stripped 3 ft of sand off the beaches Daytona area there were over a hundred gold rings recovered in just one very small area in Daytona that i am personally aware of and many were dated in the early 1900s.

Last edited:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have you ever hunted in the Toilet Bowl? Would be pretty dangerous unless on a very calm day. I would imagine there is quite a lot of loot in the feeder tube and the small channel leading into it.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the drop rate averages out to more like 1 in 5000. I don't think hunters are as efficient as you figure either. Theres lots more, its just buried. hh gl -Joe

If only 1 in 1,000 visitors lose anything of value: that's 1,000 lost items per year

Of the 1,000 items, 50% are swept off-shore or buried too deep to be recovered

That leaves 500 items of value lost on a very busy beach per year.

If detectorists have a recovery success rate of 80%, that leaves 100 valuable items left unrecovered

Figuring most items will totally sink out of reach after 3 years of being lost, each year we'd have less opportunity for recovery.

Year 1 Lost: 100 x 100% recovery = 100 lost items available
Year 2 since Lost: 100 x 50% recovery = 50 lost items in sand for two years
Year 3 since Lost: 100 x 10% recovery = 10 lost items in sand for third year

Total valuable items on the beach still left to be found on any given day: 100 + 50 + 10 = 160 items

This beach L x W is 1850 x 300ft = 555,000 ft2

This means there is one (1) lost recoverable (not buried too deep) valuable item every 3,500 sq ft. (includes water areas 60 yds off shore)

Given that an 11" search coil swept in one direction covers approx. 5 sq feet, and...

Given that at average sweep speed you cover 28 feet / minute ...

You cover about 140 sq feet per minute at average detecting speed

If you detect for 6 hours a day, you cover 8400 sq feet / hr * 6 = 50,400 sq feet per hunt ...

It would take 11 such hunts of 6hrs each with no overlap to cover the entire sand and water areas

You would collect 80% (recovery rate) x 160 total valuable times = 128 valuable items

Of course, you share the beach hunting with other detectorists, not just you ...

because they hunt randomly without knowing who else hunted, about 80% of their hunting is overlapped ...

Since random detecting is at 20% efficiency (compared to your gridded 100% efficiency) it take them 330 hours of detecting to do the same job you do in 66 hours.

If 10 different people randomly hunt each week for 2 hours - it takes almost 24 weeks (6 months) for the beach/water areas to be fully hunted.

That's 240 different hunters every 6 months covering all the beach at 80% recovery, finding 128 valuable items (leaving 32 valuables not found)

Since there are more hunters than valuables to find ... 47% of the hunters walk away with nothing (assuming each hunter only can find one item)

If 20% of the hunters find two (2) items on their 2-hour hunt at the beach ... then 83% of the other hunters walk away empty handed

This is why, despite the Hanauma Bay's huge number of visitors ... the majority of the metal detectorists never find anything valuable there.

Other beaches have half the number of tourists ... with perhaps half the lost items (80 annually) but with only 25% fewer detectorists hunting ...

That means, on less crowded beaches you have 20% of the smart searchers finding 2 valuables, and the other 94% finding nothing valuable

I'm usually in the 94% finding nothing of value ... Oh, well.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for starting this thread Makaha! It is one of the things I always think about as I wonder the beach hoping for that special tone!! 8-)

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
You know whats a bummer!! Haunama bay cant be detected anymore!! It's closed off to metal detectors, just imagine how much things are lying there, tons!! There used to be an older couple that detected Haunama and they stayed all day looking there I bet they found so much good stuff!! I have a friend that is a Ranger that works for the bay and he metal detects, I guarantee he looks when no one is looking because he has access to the bay!! All for himself, I guarantee he is finding like so much good stuff because he is the only one that detects there!! Crazy!!!!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know whats a bummer!! Haunama bay cant be detected anymore!! It's closed off to metal detectors, just imagine how much things are lying there, tons!! There used to be an older couple that detected Haunama and they stayed all day looking there I bet they found so much good stuff!! I have a friend that is a Ranger that works for the bay and he metal detects, I guarantee he looks when no one is looking because he has access to the bay!! All for himself, I guarantee he is finding like so much good stuff because he is the only one that detects there!! Crazy!!!!

Kind of like that guy who has a deal with the Ko Olina for exclusive rights to the lagoons there. I think his name is Dale and he is a older long time digger and detector dealer on Oahu.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread