Inland shallow river hunting tips help please

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to do some fresh water -inland river hunting this year and am a complete noob to this.. 4 foot deep AVERAGE with your normal current flow..Im looking for beginner help, tricks,tips tactics..
im kinda scared of snakes so the first one I encounter youll probably hear about the 2nd man to walk on water, lol..
any and all advice is much appreciated..
thanks,
dan

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Wear shoes, watch for busted glass & sunken bodies. Just yell out "Look out snakes, here I come, or next time I'll bring a gun".

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't take the Deus in the water. A completely waterproof unit like the Tiger Shark cause ya know some how the box is going to get wet with the Deus. A good scoop like the Stealth 720i is a must. Better to detect up stream so you can have silt flow away from you. Don't carry cell phone cause you will fall down. If using waders, use a belt too and a PFD. Don't worry about snakes.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"normal flow" is not a valid water speed. River hunting can be VERY dangerous. DO NOT tie your detector or scoop to yourself. You can NOT swim against a current of more than about 2 miles an hour (very slow), If you have to swim, swim sideways toward shore. Be aware that holes in the bottom can be anywhere, shuffle your feet instead of walking. Wear shoes with a hard sole, not flip-flops, sandals, or soft diving boots. Rivers are full of glass and metal and you don't want a piece of it to go through your foot.

OP
OP
C

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good tips, thanks.. I am a little weary of taking the deus in the water..
I will get a pfd for sure..
dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread