Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the Tessoro sand shark is the competition for the Garrett machine. Like the fact that the Tes has a lifetime warranty vs one year on the Garrett. Still leaning toward the Garrett though, maybe it's the attractive yellow color lol

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the Tessoro sand shark is the competition for the Garrett machine. Like the fact that the Tes has a lifetime warranty vs one year on the Garrett. Still leaning toward the Garrett though, maybe it's the attractive yellow color lol
I have owned sea hunter before and have sold it, Now I own a sand shark. Both detectors go very deep ,but the sand shark will go deeper. If you order one get the 8" coil it go's deeper than the 10".The 10" will cover more ground,but does not go deeper than the 8". Have fun with your new detector .. Ron Lord

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Ron. Why did you sell the sea hunter? Still undecided as to what machine to buy. I've been reading reviews, watching videos, etc for 2 weeks now, seems the more I look into the below models the harder the decision is.

Tesoro sand shark
white's surf pi dual field
garrett sea hunter

Last edited:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How deep do you plan to take it?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before buying any detector, I carefully review the users manuals (down load from the internet - no cost) to determine which detector best matches my needs, hunting style and specific beach conditions.

Since I hunt all domains (dry land, wet land, shallow water, and also dive), ruggedness and flexibility are most important to me. I prefer the Sea Hunter because it supports different size search coils and headphones. I consider this a real advantage as it allows me to optimize a detector for specific beach conditions and my hunting style. An example is that I would use a smaller size search coil for shallow water hunting and a larger size coil for wet sand.

I do not like hard wired head sets and search coils as they have to be returned to the factory for repair if
the pins of the wiring are pulled or cable frayed. It is expensive costing $70 for shipping and insurance plus time and effort to return detector to stock condition for repair and down time of two to three weeks.

The Sand Shark has an advantage in that it is easy to home in on a target in the water where I moslty detect, as it has a Variable Controlled Oscillator (VCO), aka screaming meamie, which changes frequency and volume (TBV) as you get closer to the target. It is very affordable, usually has the lowest purchase price and comes with a life time warranty to the original purchaser. This life time warranty can be a disadvantage if you needed to sell it as the warranty cannot be transferred when it is re sold. It can also eat you alive, in shipping costs, if you end up with a lemon, that has to be frequently to the manufacturer for repair.

The whites dual field surf PI Pro is an excellent detector which is ideal for detecting wet and non trashy dry sand at salt water beaches. It covers a lot of area fast with its 12 inch search coil and accruately pinpoints with the smaller inner 6 inch search coil. It will take a little getting used to as the detector must be kept in motion when pinpointing - this could be a disadvantage in shallow water hunting and diving. Plus I have read that it is a little corky - but this is no big deal.
I found that its treshold is much more stable (an advantage) over the multifrequency VLF detectors that I hunt with in all metal mode.

Thanks for the info Ron. Why did you sell the sea hunter? Still undecided as to what machine to buy. I've been reading reviews, watching videos, etc for 2 weeks now, seems the more I look into the below models the harder the decision is.

Tesoro sand shark
white's surf pi
garrett sea hunter

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro sand shark
garrett sea hunter
I bought an ATX which go's deeper than all my other detectors.

wecandigit

Feb 8, 2011
Who cares about all the bells and whistles? All I can add is that my sand shark paid for itself and the scoop once again
this week. What more can I say?

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares about all the bells and whistles? All I can add is that my sand shark paid for itself and the scoop once again
this week. What more can I say?
The ATX has the same bell and whistles as the sand shark but go's deeper.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro sand shark
garrett sea hunter

I like the Dual Field for beaches with huge wet sand beaches. The SAT threshold is very good. If you are hunting mostly in the water the 8" sand shark that has a thinner coil is easier to maneuver in the water.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a trade off - I believe PI machines have better depth but you can't discriminate much if at all, so you need to dig every signal {some may disc against iron} if your after small gold jewelry you should probably dig most everything anyway with a vlf.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's a trade off - I believe PI machines have better depth but you can't discriminate much if at all, so you need to dig every signal {some may disc against iron} if your after small gold jewelry you should probably dig most everything anyway with a vlf.

The sand shark has no discrimination but it does give some clues as to what's under the coil. For example if it's a nail, bobby pin or long narrow target it will usually double beep.
I love my sand shark but am looking for a Excalibur as I want discrimination for some beaches...

Sent from a empty soda can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread