lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi:hello:

Beautiful day today! Hank treated me to breakfast this morning so I promised to bring him home some gold while he was glued to the Masters tournament.

Well, I followed the tide out along the wet slope waiting for a runnel to show itself.

About an hour into the hunt here came that runnel , and it proved itself worthy of the GT:headbang:

Low, solid "buzz" sound at about 6" produced a small gold ring with a pink stone.

Other than the ring, found only a few quarters, a nickel and a couple of pennies.

The ring has no stamping on it, but acid test hit at 14K

Here's some pics

HH

Lorraine

DSCF3437.JPG

DSCF3434.JPG

DSCF3431.JPG

Upvote 0

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful ring! I love it when my GT makes that sound!

QUOTE=lorraine;4479030]Hi:hello:

Beautiful day today! Hank treated me to breakfast this morning so I promised to bring him home some gold while he was glued to the Masters tournament.

Well, I followed the tide out along the wet slope waiting for a runnel to show itself.

About an hour into the hunt here came that runnel , and it proved itself worthy of the GT:headbang:

Low, solid "buzz" sound at about 6" produced a small gold ring with a pink stone.

Other than the ring, found only a few quarters, a nickel and a couple of pennies.

The ring has no stamping on it, but acid test hit at 14K

Here's some pics

HH

Lorraine

View attachment 1145849

View attachment 1145850

View attachment 1145851 [/QUOTE]

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beautiful gold ring Lori. But I must ask what is a runnel?

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine I really like the simple look

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
NIce catch on the Yellow, rings like that really come in like foil and can often be missed by many..:thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little 14k...congrats.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good save there, nice seeing the gold stuff here, hope to see some in my dig again someday, instead of the yellowed aluminum !

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live 30 minutes from the Augusta National and didn't watch at all. I would rather have been on the beach detecting but unfortunately I'm working to much right now. Awesome recovery and congrats. The Sov. is a serious beach machine isn't it?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Lorraine, congratulations.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hi MiamiFox,

As I understand it, a runnel is a shallow water filled "canal" running parallel to the coastline. I look for these runnels because I learned from other detectorists that these "canals" trap treasures as the tide flows in and out.

Lorraine

QUOTE=MiamiFox;4479340]Beautiful gold ring Lori. But I must ask what is a runnel?[/QUOTE]

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery, Lorraine. Cats don't get excited about anything, unless it's other cats or eating. I got highly excited for you when I saw the photo of the ring and it's a great read of the beach and water and thanks for explaining the runnel to us inexperienced members. I saw something about them taking down a tree on the Master's course named after president Eisenhower. Took cuttings from it and saved it and I can't remember which hole it was on, but several of the players mentioned it looked like a different hole with the tree down due to bad weather. Hope Hank enjoyed the Masters and glad you got to do some dirt fishing.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Hi MiamiFox,

As I understand it, a runnel is a shallow water filled "canal" running parallel to the coastline. I look for these runnels because I learned from other detectorists that these "canals" trap treasures as the tide flows in and out.

Thanks Lori your right. You had me looking up runnels and I found this

Ridges and runnels form parallel to the shore line in the foreshore zone. Ridges are areas of the foreshore that are raised above the adjacent shore which dips into a Runnel.
An image of ridges and runnels
ridgerunnel.jpg

If you were to look at the cross-section (see below) it would appear similar to that of hills and valleys but at a much smaller scale.
Image of a beach profile showing ridges and runnels
beachprofile.gif
Ridge and runnel systems are formed due to the interaction of tides, currents, sediments and the beach topography. They only form on beaches with a shallow gradient. They form as a simple drainage route for tides. Water flows in and out via the runnel.

Spring tides often form a storm ridge which consists of the largest material thrown up by the strong swash of the larger waves. Following tides often cannot reach these features therefore they remain largely untouched. There are often a series of smaller ridges formed beneath the storm ridge known as berms. These mark the successive high tides that follow the spring tide through to the neap tide.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hi fongu,

Hank says that the "Ike" tree was on the left on the 17th hole.

p.s. I was rooting for "lefty" Mickelson, but was happy for Jordan; he played a phenomenal game.

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the extended explanation of a runnel. I love hunting in them.

The one that I found the ring in was embedded with small rocks; I had to dig under the rocks to recover the ring.

L

Hi MiamiFox,

Thanks Lori your right. You had me looking up runnels and I found this

Ridges and runnels form parallel to the shore line in the foreshore zone. Ridges are areas of the foreshore that are raised above the adjacent shore which dips into a Runnel.
An image of ridges and runnels
View attachment 1146375

If you were to look at the cross-section (see below) it would appear similar to that of hills and valleys but at a much smaller scale.
Image of a beach profile showing ridges and runnels
View attachment 1146376
Ridge and runnel systems are formed due to the interaction of tides, currents, sediments and the beach topography. They only form on beaches with a shallow gradient. They form as a simple drainage route for tides. Water flows in and out via the runnel.

Spring tides often form a storm ridge which consists of the largest material thrown up by the strong swash of the larger waves. Following tides often cannot reach these features therefore they remain largely untouched. There are often a series of smaller ridges formed beneath the storm ridge known as berms. These mark the successive high tides that follow the spring tide through to the neap tide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread