footloose

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the weather changes from hip boots and waders to sneakers and flip-flops I would like to know what others wear in the surf. I am thinking of getting some kind of neoprene diving shoe with a hard sole that I can use this summer on the beach. Need something that won't come off in the surf and is heavy enough to kick my scoop. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I choose between crocs, dive boots, and water shoes, need something with arch support which all of mine do..

Mudwiggle

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear an old pair of running shoes after having a corroded and razor sharp piece of steel slice neatly up the instep of my wetsuit boot. The shoes give a lot more support for scoop operation too.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have tried all types of water shoes and the ones I prefer are a pair of Teva velcro strap sandels. The reason is that water boots are a pain to get on and off. They smell like a dead seal on the beach after a while and the sand gets in and grinds on my heal and bottom of foot. They don't last long. Tevas give you a good hard sole for digging. Easy to put on off. The velcro straps adjust to how tight you want them. Also it feels good to walk in the water to rinse your feet on hot days. Some one needs to design a water boot,shoe that can handle the wear and tear of beach detecting. Most water boots are used for scuba diving ,surfing, paddle boards and boat decks. They don't hold up to hours of sand and rock grinding. That's my experience with water shoes. Don't buy a cheap pair they will not last. Good luck Joe.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear tennis shoes, running shoes whatever you want to call them, they work great!

wecandigit

Feb 8, 2011
Bass Pro Shops flats boots. $30.00. Nice thick neoprene soles and sides. Durable.
I put each foot in a plastic grocery bag before putting them on. Then they slide right off when removing them wet.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
None of the above work well if you plan on hunting into the water of The Atlantic beach's along Delaware down to OC. The surf is to ruff and will quickly fill any shoe, boots, or open type of foot ware with the soft very fluid sand. I spend the summers in OC hunting the wetsand down into the surf, over the years I have bought many types of neoprene boots...the best that worked before I went to waders were NRS ATB Hardsole wetshoe, with a 2mm Neoprene tall sox that protects your feet from the abrasive sand. The wetshoe still gets sand in and your feet get a little cramped but they don't get rubbed raw.

Now I use light Gore-Tex, boot foot, chest waders all summer..even on the 90 degree days...if I get hot I just peel them down to my waist..and stay in the wetsand to very shallows.
OBN0433.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bearcat, your post was removed, only charter members can sell here..

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Mare 6.5 mm hard sole dive boots high tops with zippers. Best ive found. Regular dive boots wear out fast on the bottom using the scoop. The heavier ones arent hot once wet......... dont stink like the thin ones because they dry faster and the heavier material handles pulling them on and off better. They hold their form and dont let shells and sand in. Most dive boots you want to get at least a half size larger for walking in them a long time.

bearcat550

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry for not being part of this elite group.You do have a great site ,,and I would ban many posts if deemed unfit,,to try to provide a service to a person who asks and then receiving a reply like I did,,I guess we all have our priorities in different places,,thanks for the support and all the help this site has provided me with.

OP
OP
deldave

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the above work well if you plan on hunting into the water of The Atlantic beach's along Delaware down to OC. The surf is to ruff and will quickly fill any shoe, boots, or open type of foot ware with the soft very fluid sand. I spend the summers in OC hunting the wetsand down into the surf, over the years I have bought many types of neoprene boots...the best that worked before I went to waders were NRS ATB Hardsole wetshoe, with a 2mm Neoprene tall sox that protects your feet from the abrasive sand. The wetshoe still gets sand in and your feet get a little cramped but they don't get rubbed raw.

Now I use light Gore-Tex, boot foot, chest waders all summer..even on the 90 degree days...if I get hot I just peel them down to my waist..and stay in the wetsand to very shallows.
View attachment 1146687

Thanks all for the info. I have to do some thinking and shopping!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread