Pot o Gold... 2trips, 10Hrs, 19 rings and $84 in change

Mudwiggle

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pot 'o Gold... 2trips, 10Hrs, 19 rings and $84 in change

We recently had a cyclone skim past, and as it only served to fill the beaches with yet more sand :BangHead: I headed inland to a) Hide from the worst of the weather, and b) try and save a wasted journey and scope out some new ground.
Ended up finding a swimming hole tucked away in the back blocks off the main drag, and had a quick scoping sweep for an hour or so.
Definitely promising, lots of coins from the 1970's onwards - and a gold dolphin ring.
I ended up bailing out as the storm was getting downright unpleasant, and made a note to return once things calmed down.
Skip forward a couple of weeks... And I was keen to have another crack.

Made the usual excuses, packed the car and headed off.
Was onto the goodies as soon as I turned the magic wand on, and from there it was unrelenting.
4 hours later, I staggered back to the car, pockets bulging.

$42 in $1 & $2 coins (paid for gas, plus profit = win)
1 14k Gold Ring
7 Silver rings (plus necklace and ear ring)
and 4 junkers

A 1939 .303 cartridge added a few more years to the age of this place, that's 76 summers-worth of swimming.

Got talking to an old Maori fella who had sat the whole time, just smoking his 'medicinal herb' and watching. As a result I now also have a new permission for grounds of pre-1920's villa. Yesss! (punches air)

Pics taken of swag, straight out of the pouch:

110415a.jpg

And after a bit of TLC:

Shiny%20things.jpg

Was replaying the swimming hole hunt over and over in my mind that night, and the more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself I had cherry picked and that not all the "rude noises" in the phones were indeed rusty bottlecaps.
With a substantial amount of leave owed (as my boss frequently hints) I skived off for the day and headed back to my new friend.

The previous day I was in T shirt and shorts (End of summer here), and 4 Hrs was my limit with the big, heavy shivers making simple tasks such as 'just put the damn coin in the bag' very slow and deliberate actions.
Today, I had the wetsuit.

Kitted up and waded out like a man possessed straight in up to my neck, literally. In my haste, I hadn't bothered to take physics into account and it was like working in zero G using the scoop. A quick trip back to the car and 30lb of lead later things were decidedly easier.

The plan was to start deep and work parallel lines back to the edge. Nah, I was over the place as usual. I have little discipline :tongue3:

So there I was wandering aimlessly (more or less in parallel lines) and as I'd move the coil away to the side to dig a target, it'd hit another. Pulling two, or three finds out of one scoopful wasn't uncommon.
Best was a gold and silver ring in the same scoop - and they weren't the target I was chasing at the time!

It was insane action, so much so that I happened to glance at my watch and was startled to see that it was 3pm. I'd been in the water for over 6Hrs!
About then I realized that yes, I was cold, and sore, and tired - The icy rain wasn't helping either..

Why.JPG

I had no idea at that stage what I'd pulled up, a couple of rings for sure, I knew I had one gold, and a few bucks. Was quite surprised when I tipped the pouch out for the kill-shot.

Excal2.JPG

Ended up with another $42 in goldies alone (I don't target the clad, but did get a 10c as bycatch), so that's $84 (and 10c) in two days, from one spot 10mx15m ! Unreal.
Then there's the gold - Another four 9k rings, and one plated. Total of 6 'proper' golds from the ooze.
Five silver rings, brought that total to 13
...and a few badges and things

Swag.JPG

Next time, I'm taking the SCUBA... and a couple of Thermos's of hot coffee :)

"Hi, I'm Mudwiggle, and I'm Addicted..."

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding hunts. What a haul. Would love to get to the coast sometime. GL & HH

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mudwiggle, congratulations on an impressive hunt!

Lorraine

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
WOW Amazing !!! What part of the world are you in?

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME HUNT(s)!!!! Great rings!

HH

Vdubguy

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the MOTHER of Honey Holes as they say! MODRON!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need me a virgin site...outstanding hunts...great pics and story...congrats

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great, well written, story and the pics are wonderful! Congrats on your success. I bet it continues, especially with the scuba.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Really awesome! Can you imagine the thrill! Really cool finds! Congrats

OP
OP
M

Mudwiggle

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, sadly the best laid plans and all that...

Despite having a pair of head-mounted 180 lumen Cree dive torches, the bottom away from the edge of the hole is more of a fluid mud ooze rather than a definite substrate. Consequently even waving the coil over it shut viz down to 6 inches max. It was that bad that the coil was picking up the reg as I peered closer to try and see the coil. There were some interesting targets detected, but I've done my share of zero viz dives and this was too much of a chore so bailed and returned to the shallows for more low fruit.
Might see if the ooze shifts after some decent rain, otherwise someone else can have the deeper stuff. There's nicer places to dive.

So, having piked out, I carried on reworking the happy hunting grounds. Targets definitely getting thinner now, with the bulk of finds being earrings/studs etc

Still pulled a couple of ancient (ex gold plated) earrings, another 3 925 rings, sixpence and shilling ('64 & '59), plus a handful of junkers and another $10 for the kitty jar before heading off to catch low tide back out at the coast.

It was a helluva fun ride while it lasted though :laughing7:

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread