Wheres the beach?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the beach?

Weather is getting better here in Indiana, nice and sunny today but no endless miles of ocean beach anywhere in sight. To add to this pain I'm now stuck here for at least the next year, probably longer. Summer will be here soon and still no endless beach to search from dawn to dusk, no bikini clad beauties to examine through those dark shades to help pass the time. Indiana needs to uproot several counties and fill those voids with water and miles of sandy beach. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am stuck inland too now and find fresh water hunting at all the lakes is far more productive than the coasts beaches because swimmers are confined to smaller areas. Finds are closer together so I collect more per hunt. Sand isn't changing to cover up drops. I've hunted a couple beaches a day. Since its freshwater there is no salt to bother detectors and greater depth is reached. But there is a down side to some lakes that are closed during the summer and open after Labor Day like the photo.
Flies and Baits 163.jpg

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just head west for coins and east for jewelry..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am stuck inland too now and find fresh water hunting at all the lakes is far more productive than the coasts beaches because swimmers are confined to smaller areas. Finds are closer together so I collect more per hunt. Sand isn't changing to cover up drops. I've hunted a couple beaches a day. Since its freshwater there is no salt to bother detectors and greater depth is reached. But there is a down side to some lakes that are closed during the summer and open after Labor Day like the photo.
View attachment 1148079

Sandman please tell me that photo is a "club" detecting... heh.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Pennsylvania has as few lakes were detectorist line up the morning after Labor Day...and all is hunted out in less than an hour...AND all finds must be turned into the ranger. LOVE the ocean. Why bother? I imagine the photo could be of such a day - not a club hunt.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Scoop your not missing nothing. Even the pulltabs a buried under tons of sand. Sanded and stranded.

sent from a sending device

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennsylvania has as few lakes were detectorist line up the morning after Labor Day...and all is hunted out in less than an hour...AND all finds must be turned into the ranger. LOVE the ocean. Why bother? I imagine the photo could be of such a day - not a club hunt.

I have never "lined up" for anything other than to get into Walt Disney World... and a few Nightclubs years ago...
Hell I will not even wait in line for a restaurant... let alone to detect.

Arrrg that picture is like something I had a nightmare once about... it is like shuffling walk of the detecting dead.

PS> Nightmare -- I was detecting and had this great hit... when I dug I saw 100's of gold coins showing...
I panicked and looked up... there were ten other detector I did not know ... and people all around me... like "could see" close...
I acted like it was nothing/no big deal and acted like I put something in my pouch... and said "damn foil"...
I took my foot and covered it back up and moved off of it... but not far... and was watching around etc...
I waited for the others to kinda work away a bit more... and when the coast was clear I walked back over to spot...
BUT...When I tried to get it again... I could not find it...and was getting stressed... and they were walking over towards my "area" I was in... I was swinging and swinging....
Arrrrg Then I woke up sweating :P heh:P
20 or so years ago... had this dream after drinking Margaritas at the Quervo Gold Vollyball Championship.
Felt like I was sweating salt and lime juice.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather is getting better here in Indiana, nice and sunny today but no endless miles of ocean beach anywhere in sight. To add to this pain I'm now stuck here for at least the next year, probably longer. Summer will be here soon and still no endless beach to search from dawn to dusk, no bikini clad beauties to examine through those dark shades to help pass the time. Indiana needs to uproot several counties and fill those voids with water and miles of sandy beach. :thumbsup:
Its still here...bikinis and all.

[AU:Magnet]

Apr 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the Ranger know you have handed everything in? I couldn't hunt with all those guys around me, no way. Although with my hookah, I can go to armpit level and above and leave em all behind.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
If you want the good stuff you gotta go where the "average" MD'er won't. The wave smashing you in the forehead area's

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flies and Baits 163.jpg This was taken after Labor Day and the worse of it is that I was in the middle. There were about same amount of hunters on the dry sand behind me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Sandman please tell me that photo is a "club" detecting... heh." <----- ?

sandman...
This is in .... hm.... Michigans Initials ? MI >?

Anyway... in Mich ?,,,, heh

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got summer plans to be back up north this year, I'm just missing the smell of salt air and that hot sun on my back. My dark tan is long gone and now I look like a skinny white post again. So I just gotta switch modes, from seagulls to loons, from sprawling white sands and towering condo units to quaint little beaches and thick forest. Not really that bad of a tradeoff until January & February. :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman please tell me that photo is a "club" detecting... heh.

Definitely not a club hunt. Some popular swim areas are closed to metal detecting from Memorial Day till Labor Day and the day after hundred's of hunters show up to reap the goodies. It doesn't help that there are concession stand near the water for change to be made and lost. Many hunters will come back for a few days or hunt another beach till all the bottom has been sifted. Things found of "value" have to be turned into a park employee, so nobody ever finds anything.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread