Snorkeling

mission101

Oct 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429389509.699161.jpg
First snorkeling attempt was more difficult than i thought.
The wooden handle scoop with PVC pipe was a failure due to buoyancy problems. I used the aluminum scoop instead but the angle is all wrong. The $4 yard sale fins worked fine the adjustable strap is a must. You calves get crushed using those things. They even fit over my boots. Using a kids snorkel mask did not work. Getting snorkel mask/snorkel/ headphones to work was a real challenge. The sand shark coil floated too much so I filled a bottle with sand but it is hard to swing. The $10 Craig's list farmer john wetsuit worked fine. I found 10 targets wading and 0 snorkeling. I'd say snorkeling while detecting only makes sense if you are experienced at snorkeling and have muscular calves and forearms and patience. I will keep trying because I enjoying swimming anyway.

Upvote 0

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
pony up and get a real snorkel kit.... lol . kids snorkel mask, .. you're killing me.. A+ for frugality

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
I use the walmart mask for snorkeling and hookah, in that shallow of water you dont need tempered or anything fancy. Keep at it, theres a learning curve like anything in life, and yea its a good work out for sure. weight belt helps but be sure to practice the right hand release, utube it

pony up and get a real snorkel kit.... lol . kids snorkel mask, .. you're killing me.. A+ for frugality

Mudwiggle

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in snorkelling depth, I found it easier to ditch the snorkel and fins and went back to wading. Weighted up to 30lb and walked up to nostril depth, then when I had a target, just sank to the bottom and fanned it out, quicker and easier than scoop on the sand around here.

I think snorkelling proper is only really viable when there's coral and other sharp, stabby things on the bottom

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a mask and snorkel to detect 95%+ - that is not to say I am snorkeling while detecting
I wear dive boots and walk out as far as I can - most times all that is sticking out of the water is an inch or two of my snorkel
CASPR2.jpg 15attachment.jpg
I can find targets 5 times faster than the next guy hunting without a mask - Im able to see the target sometimes before even scooping
I usually can see exactly where to place my scoop - if its a small item that falls thru scoop - like a stud earing - I can then drop and find it easily
I can see structure - I can see cuts and blow out areas - I can get out just that little bit farther than guy hunting chest deep and at some spots
it has meant me coming home with gold many a times- where from chest in places have been cleaned out
plus I like the stealthiness of not being seen most times by staying low in the water - most times people don't know Im there until Im getting out
I will send you PM with link to my articles - some may help

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was the only one up! Lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife uses that "cheater"snorkel like the one in the OP

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with Casper 100%. I will use a metal hand scoop and dig/scoop toward me, with the scoop's opening facing me.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I just wish I had calm tide. So Cal beaches are just wave after wave until you're about 12 ft deep.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Casper - I would like a copy of your article too, if you are passing it around. I have done quite a bit with mask and snorkel, but still have a lot to learn. I prefer scuba and getting my face near the bottom. There are times that scuba is not available, so I am willing to learn how to improve my methods.

As for Mission101 - the advise was right. Toss out the kid's stuff, so you can be effective. Adult gear is not that expensive and it will improve your experience.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have written over 30 articles - more than happy to send link to site with most of them
thing is - I do not have one article on snorkeling - I did one called
"snorkel-snuba-hookah-scuba"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/
fact is most all my water articles - I am using a mask & snorkel
feel naked with out them - I know over the yrs Ive gotten 100s to TH'ers to use one
some don't feel comfortable using snorkel - just use a mask or goggles
I have some spots lifeguards wont allow snorkel - I just pop my face in the water every few steps there
even if you wear on your head and pull down when you need them -or wear goggles around your neck for certain times

Hey Casper - I would like a copy of your article too, if you are passing it around. I have done quite a bit with mask and snorkel, but still have a lot to learn. I prefer scuba and getting my face near the bottom. There are times that scuba is not available, so I am willing to learn how to improve my methods.

As for Mission101 - the advise was right. Toss out the kid's stuff, so you can be effective. Adult gear is not that expensive and it will improve your experience.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried using my snorkel at the river, but once I got past neck deep, I was too buoyant. I know a weight belt would take care of this problem, but no more than I've been dirt fishing, I can't justify the expense. This was just while wading and trying to get an extra foot of river to detect and scoop. With the waves when the water and the boats, I bounce around like a rubber ball.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried using my snorkel at the river, but once I got past neck deep, I was too buoyant. I know a weight belt would take care of this problem, but no more than I've been dirt fishing, I can't justify the expense. This was just while wading and trying to get an extra foot of river to detect and scoop. With the waves when the water and the boats, I bounce around like a rubber ball.

I recommend weights. You may not need much, and its all about the size and thickness of your suit. A lot of commercial divers wear ankle weights. It keeps them upright, and able to work. Whatever you choose, be careful that you only use what you need to sink safely. When I say safely, I mean just a wee bit heavier than neutral buoyancy. You don't want to plummet to the bottom like an anchor, because if you get into trouble, that's where they'll find you.

If you do use weights, be sure to use a proper diving weight belt - one which has a quick-release buckle. Practice putting it on and off, and practice ditching it if you go deeper than a lungful of air can support. Above all, be safe. A gold ring is not worth dying for - a Faberge Egg, maybe -but not a ring.

Lastly, check Craigslist for dive weights. I shun most of the tired old scuba crap on CL, but weights never go bad.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
want to save money on a weight belt - save all your scrap lead - sinkers etc
my weight belt I made myself out of 70 lbs of lead

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought about that, Casper. I've found quite a bit of lead at the river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions